Getting Rid Of Lizards

Lizards, while harmless, can become a nuisance when they move into your home. This is a guide about getting rid of lizards.

March 16, 2016 Flag

How do I get rid of lizards? I tried moth balls, but the lizards don't care. Every day I see a lizard next to the moth balls, where I put several next to my sliding door.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Lizards aren't affected by moth balls and there is no easy way to "prevent" lizards from entering your yard; house, too, if a door or window is open. Lizards are very beneficial-they eat insects such as mosquitos, roaches, and spiders, worms etc. They won't hurt you unless you try to grab one, however, they are much too fast for most people to catch. Even if you did manage to catch one, their teeth are very small and they are not strong enough to actually bite you. If you want to move a lizard from your house, simply use a newspaper or magazine and "herd" them toward a door. Please do not hurt them!!! Lizards have lived on this planet for millions of years before humans and will probably continue long after humans are extinct.

Thank you for replying , i need something effective to keep them away from doors and windows.

My husband is a biologist and I am an archaeologist so we have much experience with the "outside" world and lizzies in particular-we have lizzies, snakes, spiders etc., living in our house and a cat who, after many years, still does not understand why he is not able to jump through a glass cage to get to tasty treats.

Unfortunately, there is little you can do to prevent lizzies from entering your house by door and window except keeping doors and windows closed or screened. If there is an opening, they will come inside; to them, our inside is the same as their outside so they simply continue their food seeking journeys inside human homes. Lizzies are unique, do not harm us and, like all animals, are just trying to live in an ever more crowded world.

April 25, 2016 Flag

How do I get rid from lizards and flies. I have used egg shells, but it did not work. The lizards they threw the shell with the help of its tail.

Lizards eat literally tons of insects in your house and outside and they love mosquitos! They do not harm humans or animals. I remember from living in Hawaii not to hurt geckos, a type of lizard, as they love mosquitos. So they were free to roam anywhere they liked and were always welcomed.

Flies on the other hand, are a nuisance and there are many products available to deal with them.

So, in answer to your question-shoo lizards back outside (they do not perceive your house as "inside") by moving them carefully with a newspaper or magazine to the door. Flies, on the other hand, are a pain! Keep windows closed or screens in good repair, close doors, etc., etc.

I put egg shells out side and it did not work.

June 15, 2015 Flag

I am over run with lizards. The only problem I have is their poop. It is all over my shop, patio, and garage area. Any suggestions to run them outside?

http://www.feminiya.com/10-best-home-remedies-to-get-rid-of-lizards/

This article has a lot of natural remedies. I hope this helps. PBP

March 14, 2011 Flag

I've lizards in my home and I don't understand how to remove them.

Tushar Garg

I have little lizards in my house from time to time in Florida, but I feel they keep bugs away. I believe my cat keeps too many lizards from coming inside. Maybe you could get a cat. Cats make nice pets and they are great at chasing little critters.

To get lizards out of my house I place a drinking glass or clear bowl over them and then slide a piece of paper under the glass so the lizard is on the paper. Turn the whole thing upside down and carry out of the house to where you want to let the lizard go.

June 17, 2011 Flag

How do I get rid of lizards around the outside of my house? I live in Mesa Arizona.

By aggiedog

Spray the foundation of your house with one of these:

Talstar, Demon WP, Suspend SC, or Cynoff.

Caulk up all the holes you can find around any entrance to the home.

Net pipes such as dryer vents.

Outside lighting is attractive, but attracts bugs which in turn draw the lizards.

If you see one by your house, squirt them with cold water. Squirting them slows them down so you can catch them in a box with a broom and release them.

You are very lucky. They are after the bugs. If you off the lizards, You will be living in poison to kill the bugs. Lizards are amusing and wonderful. Learn to appreciate them.

Why do you want them gone? They eat the spiders!

July 25, 2008 Flag

I have several beautiful kalanchoe plants in a planter and the lizards have discovered them. At the rate they are eating the leaves the plants will die. I am looking for a solution to the problem. Does anyone know of a way to get rid of the lizards?

Michael G.

Sorry, no solutions from me. I live in Manitoba, Canada, and was just wondering where you live that you have lizards eating your plants. That's so cool The only place we have lizards is in the pet shops!

Lizards, unless they are something akin to Iguanas do not eat greenery. They are carnivores, not herbivores. Where do you live, and what do the lizards look like so I may be better able to help you. They DO like to hide in the greenery, so perhaps this is why they are being blamed for damage they are not causing.

(sent in by email)

The leaves of the Kalanchoe are like a cactus - have water in them. I have seen the lizards nibbling on the leaves. I live in a suburb outside New Orleans; it gets very hot and dry for days at a time. Perhaps the lizards are getting water from the leaves. I finally found a flowering plant, the Kalanchoe that handles the sun and heat very well, but now have another problem. Not a big deal!

Mike G

Editor's Note: Maybe it would help to put a little dish of water in or near the plant.

June 4, 2011 Flag

How do you get rid of a six-lined racerunner lizard?

By Karen T.

My first question has to be, "Why would you want to get rid of the lizard?" All lizards catch and eat bugs of all sorts, and I can't think of anything they hurt. If it's in your house, then you might try to box it in so that you can remove it to outdoors, but I certainly wouldn't kill the creature. It will not hurt you in any way and are very interesting small wildlife. If I remember correctly, they are the fastest lizard we have in the US. Very attractive too.

Pookarina

PookaRina is right and probably are more you just don't see them. I have one on the back porch and he lives under the refrig we keep out there and eats bugs and doesn't bother anything.

I think they are so beautiful and cute.

July 17, 2012 Flag

how do you get rid of lizards in the house?

By Raymond

Accept them in your home because they eat bugs and that's a good thing. Get a cat because they love to chase lizards and eat the lizards. Make sure there are screens on all windows and doors. Personally I think lizards are cute and hate bugs so I would go for option #1 ;-)

April 11, 2011 Flag

How do I get rid of lizards in my house?

By Amron

Get a cat! Seriously!

April 11, 2011 Flag

How do I get rid of bugs and lizards in my house? Please suggest a natural remedy as I've tried the others, eg. Bug Nil and Tick 20, but it doesn't really work.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control ReptilesJune 3, 2012
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Boy Holding Lizard
Keeping Lizards as Pets
Green chameleon on a branch.
Identifying Lizards
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
🎉
🎄