Getting Rid Of Lizards

Category Reptiles
Getting Rid Of Lizards
Lizards, while harmless, can become a nuisance when they move into your home. This is a guide about getting rid of lizards.

I've lizards in my home and I don't understand how to remove them.

Tushar Garg

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have little lizards in my house from time to time in Florida, but I feel they keep bugs away. I believe my cat keeps too many lizards from coming inside. Maybe you could get a cat. Cats make nice pets and they are great at chasing little critters.

To get lizards out of my house I place a drinking glass or clear bowl over them and then slide a piece of paper under the glass so the lizard is on the paper. Turn the whole thing upside down and carry out of the house to where you want to let the lizard go.

I have several beautiful kalanchoe plants in a planter and the lizards have discovered them. At the rate they are eating the leaves the plants will die. I am looking for a solution to the problem. Does anyone know of a way to get rid of the lizards?

Michael G.

I thought lizards ate bugs. Could it be snails?

Sorry, no solutions from me. I live in Manitoba, Canada, and was just wondering where you live that you have lizards eating your plants. That's so cool The only place we have lizards is in the pet shops!

Lizards, unless they are something akin to Iguanas do not eat greenery. They are carnivores, not herbivores. Where do you live, and what do the lizards look like so I may be better able to help you. They DO like to hide in the greenery, so perhaps this is why they are being blamed for damage they are not causing.

(sent in by email)

The leaves of the Kalanchoe are like a cactus - have water in them. I have seen the lizards nibbling on the leaves. I live in a suburb outside New Orleans; it gets very hot and dry for days at a time. Perhaps the lizards are getting water from the leaves. I finally found a flowering plant, the Kalanchoe that handles the sun and heat very well, but now have another problem. Not a big deal!

Mike G

Editor's Note: Maybe it would help to put a little dish of water in or near the plant.

I have a lizard living in my bathroom in my magazine rack under a newspaper. I thought maybe he moved on, but he has not. I dont have a problem with him living there. I noticed there are not any spiders, and little pincher bugs I sometimes see. I thought about getting a large match box and put shredded paper in it for him to live in, and maybe put the box in the magazine rack. I really want to know is, if he will move in it. Debbie

email address is deb1157 AT live.com

How do I get rid of lizards? I tried moth balls, but the lizards don't care. Every day I see a lizard next to the moth balls, where I put several next to my sliding door.

Answers

Lizards aren't affected by moth balls and there is no easy way to "prevent" lizards from entering your yard; house, too, if a door or window is open. Lizards are very beneficial-they eat insects such as mosquitos, roaches, and spiders, worms etc. They won't hurt you unless you try to grab one, however, they are much too fast for most people to catch. Even if you did manage to catch one, their teeth are very small and they are not strong enough to actually bite you. If you want to move a lizard from your house, simply use a newspaper or magazine and "herd" them toward a door. Please do not hurt them!!! Lizards have lived on this planet for millions of years before humans and will probably continue long after humans are extinct.

Thank you for replying , i need something effective to keep them away from doors and windows.

My husband is a biologist and I am an archaeologist so we have much experience with the "outside" world and lizzies in particular-we have lizzies, snakes, spiders etc., living in our house and a cat who, after many years, still does not understand why he is not able to jump through a glass cage to get to tasty treats.

Unfortunately, there is little you can do to prevent lizzies from entering your house by door and window except keeping doors and windows closed or screened. If there is an opening, they will come inside; to them, our inside is the same as their outside so they simply continue their food seeking journeys inside human homes. Lizzies are unique, do not harm us and, like all animals, are just trying to live in an ever more crowded world.

How do I get rid of lizards around the outside of my house? I live in Mesa Arizona.

By aggiedog

Spray the foundation of your house with one of these:

Talstar, Demon WP, Suspend SC, or Cynoff.

Caulk up all the holes you can find around any entrance to the home.

Net pipes such as dryer vents.

Outside lighting is attractive, but attracts bugs which in turn draw the lizards.

If you see one by your house, squirt them with cold water. Squirting them slows them down so you can catch them in a box with a broom and release them.

You are very lucky. They are after the bugs. If you off the lizards, You will be living in poison to kill the bugs. Lizards are amusing and wonderful. Learn to appreciate them.

Why do you want them gone? They eat the spiders!

Learn to love the little critters it was their home first. They do good things and eat your pests.

How do you get rid of a six-lined racerunner lizard?

By Karen T.

My first question has to be, "Why would you want to get rid of the lizard?" All lizards catch and eat bugs of all sorts, and I can't think of anything they hurt. If it's in your house, then you might try to box it in so that you can remove it to outdoors, but I certainly wouldn't kill the creature. It will not hurt you in any way and are very interesting small wildlife. If I remember correctly, they are the fastest lizard we have in the US. Very attractive too.

Pookarina

PookaRina is right and probably are more you just don't see them. I have one on the back porch and he lives under the refrig we keep out there and eats bugs and doesn't bother anything.

I think they are so beautiful and cute.

How do I get rid from lizards and flies. I have used egg shells, but it did not work. The lizards they threw the shell with the help of its tail.

I am over run with lizards. The only problem I have is their poop. It is all over my shop, patio, and garage area. Any suggestions to run them outside?

http://www.femi  -rid-of-lizards/

This article has a lot of natural remedies. I hope this helps. PBP

how do you get rid of lizards in the house?

By Raymond

Anonymous

Accept them in your home because they eat bugs and that's a good thing. Get a cat because they love to chase lizards and eat the lizards. Make sure there are screens on all windows and doors. Personally I think lizards are cute and hate bugs so I would go for option #1 ;-)

How do I get rid of lizards in my house?

By Amron

Get a cat! Seriously!

How do I get rid of bugs and lizards in my house? Please suggest a natural remedy as I've tried the others, eg. Bug Nil and Tick 20, but it doesn't really work.

By Tina from Mumbai

Answers:

Getting Rid Of Lizards

I promise I am not being a smart Alec and am being truly serious! Which do you hate more, the bugs or the lizards? Personally, I hate bugs more so lizards would be my best friends because they eat bugs. You can control the amount of lizards (and bugs for that matter) easily by having screens on your windows and screen doors for your exterior doors but I would allow one or two lizards to live with you to eat the bugs that sneak in. I can't think of anything more natural than that. :-) (02/22/2011)

By Deeli

Getting Rid Of Lizards

You could get a cat! I have had to rescue several cute little lizards from my cats' clutches. As for bugs, a cat will hear the bug long before you see it. (02/24/2011)

By Ms Frugal

I would like suggestions for how to get rid of lizards.

By hubh1736

Answers:

Getting Rid Of Lizards

Lizards are our friends because they eat bugs (like spiders, flies, skeeters, etc.) and don't harm we humans so, personally, I would just leave the lizards alone. ;-) (10/04/2010)

By Deeli

Getting Rid Of Lizards

Get a cat! :) (10/05/2010)

By PainterLee

I live in Texas and I have those brown/white striped lizards with ridges along their neck and back, I am terrified of them. They're on my porch and windows and multiplying. I'll do anything to get rid of them. Can anyone please help?

Betty

Answers:

Getting Rid Of Lizards

There's a site online that sells fake owls (to get rid of birds) and since owls are most likely predators of lizards, these may also scare away lizards. Another thing you may try is those plug-in rodent and pest deterrents. You'd have to plug it out on your porch in an outdoor outlet. They work by putting out a high pitch frequency that humans can't hear. They advertise that they are safe for pets. (08/04/2008)

By Cyinda

Getting Rid Of Lizards

Get you a cat. Not only will they help out with your lizard population, but mice, and other rodents, as well as be your new best friend. (08/05/2008)

By badwater

Getting Rid Of Lizards

Lizards are just native to your environment and won't hurt you. They eat bugs, so they are good guys. (08/05/2008)

By Linda

Getting Rid Of Lizards

We have a troop of feral cats that we've had spayed, basic shots, etc. and do feed them. Unfortunately, they have taken to eating the geckos which I enjoy seeing. So, though it is not what I like, they do an effective job. Oddly, they do not eat the toads (good), but the toads share their cat food. Perhaps that will help you. Other friends with cats tell me their cats get quite a few geckos, also. (08/06/2008)

By Rosemarie

Getting Rid Of Lizards

Please, dont't try to get rid of the lizards! They help keep bug populations under control. They're at your house, because they're finding bugs for food. If you get rid of the lizards, you'll end up with a lot of pests that will freak you out even more.

Why do you fear innocent lizards, anyway? They don't harm humans, and they're adorable. When I lived in Arizona, one of the things I enjoyed most in our backyard was watching the little lizards sunning themselves on our fence.

Before she passed away, my aunt (God rest her soul) just adored spotting lizards on the fence. She was terminally ill, and sometimes got confused about things. It was cute how she'd sometimes call the geckos "Geicos" (after the talking lizard on TV!). (08/07/2008)

By WildIrish

Getting Rid Of Lizards

The lizards you are talking about are called Mountain Boomers. Don't let a cat kill your lizards. Put mothballs around the house and the lizards won't go near them. If you kill off the lizards you'll have a bug problem. (08/10/2008)

By J D

Getting Rid Of Lizards

I bought those plug-in pest controls from Home Depot to keep the lizards out of the house. They supposedly emit a high pitch tone that will rid the house of pests. I don't have any other animals, but I'm told they're safe for the cats and dogs.
(06/04/2010)

By Deyi