Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

Does anyone know the best chemical spray to use on wild onions or wild garlic? I used IMAGE and it did not seem to work, I even doubled the mixing instructions. It is labeled for onions and I added "blue marking dye". I need to get rid of these before the grass starts to come back strong.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

T.M. from Meridian, MS

Answers:

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

Good luck, I have been fighting what looks like wild onions for 40 years-but have discovered they are not- they are called snow drops and they are a flowering bulb like onions. They were brought over from Europe many many years ago. They have small white blooms in clusters and they appear in early spring and bloom for a month of two and die out turning yellow on the tops.

They reappear the following spring and every spring there after-and after- I have never had anything that would kill them- not even a total kill- move is my suggestion- :) You would think a weed killer for onions would get rid of them but they don't. (03/20/2009)

By Pat W.

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

To get rid of wild onions, I use 2-4-D Amine #4 with a surfactant in a hand held pump sprayer. I use 3 oz of 2-4-D with one oz of surfactant to one gallon of water. This works great in Guntersville AL. (03/30/2009)

By Dr T