Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

How do you get rid of kitchen ants?

Jeanine from Nashville, TN

Answers:

Harry

Where I live we have two kinds of ants. Small red ants and carpenter ants. Two years ago I had both kinds in my kitchen and bath rooms. I called an exterminator. He laid down a chemical on the outside of the foundation. The ants were gone within two days. The guy told me ant traps and other stuff people use doesn't get rid of the ants. You have to use a bait type chemical which is what he put down around the foundation. The ants take the chemical back to the nest and digest it. That clears out the nest.The ants enter the house through the smallest of openings around the foundation, water lines and other electrical cables. (02/04/2009)

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I had ants one year and it drove me crazy. I tried all the "green" ideas and nothing worked. I finally completely cleared my counter, washed it good, and sprayed the crevices with ant spray. I used a paper towel to wipe up most of the spray from the counter, making sure to leave the spray in the crevice (mostly where the sink met the counter and the counter met the wall. It was not caulked.)

After I was sure everything was dry, I went back with soap and water and cleaned the entire counter area again to make sure that whatever area that food might come in contact with didn't contain any ant spray. I was just very careful with food in the area where the counter met the sink because I didn't want to completely wash that away. It did work and very quickly too. They did not come back. (02/06/2009)

By Noella

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Home Depot and Lowe's both sell a product called "Grants for Ants". There are about 10 little metal "houses" in the package that you can put around your kitchen, baths, and outside of your home. This is the only product that got rid of my ants here in Florida. The product does have a small amount of arsenic in it, but it is sealed inside the little metal house. Make sure you wash your hands after handling the product. My mother always used cinnamon. (02/06/2009)

By florida gal

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Insects today are very immune to most "green" remedies. Buy some "Terro" ant killer. Two drops on the sink side, and they will be gone in a week or less. You can get it at most any department store.
And it is easy to clean up, and easy to place out of the reach of pets and kids too. (02/07/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Try mixing Borax with icing sugar, and sprinkle around. They apparently carry this back to the nest, so not only do they poison themselves, but also the other ants. Make sure kids and pets can't get to this powder though, it is poisonous. (02/07/2009)

By Cathy from Townville, QLD

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I Use Raid Ant traps. They (the ants) swarm to what's inside and before you know it, they are gone. Worked for me. (02/12/2009)

By touchoflace