Using Sweet N' Low for Ants

Category Ants
Some homeowners have been very successful getting rid of ants inside their home as well as clearing hills in the yard, using Sweet N' Low or a generic of this artificial sweetener. This is a guide about using Sweet N' Low for ants.

I permanently got rid of ants coming into my kitchen by sprinkling two or three envelopes of Sweet and Low on my kitchen counter where they were coming in several years ago. We have never seen another ant anywhere in our house

Sorry that I can't tell you the ThriftyFun member that posted the hint (I do think the hint was on Thrifty Fun) Also sorry if I didn't remember to post that it worked so well. Probably forgot due to waiting to see if it would work.

I'm really not sure that I would do it again as I think regular ants (not FIRE ANTS) probably have a place in this world, like cleaning things that have died that are too small for the birds, etc. to clean up.

Caterini

Top Comment

There are enough ants to go around so don't feel sorry for the ones that are carrying unknown germs to your kitchen. If this works then do it. I will try it if I have the problem again. Last time I had to call the bug guy to find the source outside. He treated nests in my flower garden. I don't feel sorry for the little pests.

Top Comment

What a wonderful, green idea! We get ants every year.

They drive me crazy. I don't know what to do anymore, but now I'll use the sweet n' low. Thank You!

This isn't a tip, it's a thank you for a contributor to Thriftyfun.com who suggested putting down Sweet n Low to get rid of ants.

Works like a charm! Better than ant traps. If it rains though, of course you have to put down more.

When I see ants, I open several packets (one would probably be fine, but I tend to be a little gung ho on things) and spread them out in the path they're making.

It's amazing to watch how they stop and start carrying some of it back to their nest. I've actually seen them carve a path in the white Sweet N Low. I see less of them the next day and by the second day the ants are gone.

Naturally, I use the cheapest version of Sweet N Low that I can find! Not the actual brand name! Too expensive!

Thank you for the tip. It worked and was cheap and simple. We love that!

By metroplex

Here in Texas (as in the rest of the South) we have a problem with ants...fire ants and regular ants. As soon as we notice an ant pile, my husband opens up a couple of packages of "Sweet and Low" and pours onto the mound. If it's a really big mound he uses more, use your judgment. The ants bring it into their nest and usually within a day all the ants are gone. Once again, if it's a really big pile it may take a couple of days. But since we were told of this trick we have been able to keep them under control. Also, this whole summer I have not had any ants in the house. I guess if you control them outside they won't be coming into the house. It really works!

By Margaret