Getting Rid of Chipmunks

I am swamped with chipmunks this summer. They eat my bird seed, dig under cement steps and in general are a problem, although cute little creatures, they have no mercy.

How can I get rid of these stinkers, we have caught a few in a live trap, but most are babies and slip through the sides. I've tried red pepper but it didn't work. I've tried the sticky pads, they walk around them. I've tried vaseline on the bird feeder pole, doesn't stop them either. HELP

Shirl in Wisconsin

Answers:

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

I can tell you like them but enough is enough. They are so cute but I bet they really are pesky when there are a lot of them. I hate to give you my suggestion... but it's the only one I can think of. A kitty cat. My cat caught lots of chipmunks and I'd try to make her let them go but usually failed. I didn't mind at all when she caught mice or vole but... those cute little things. I guess she thought they were all the same. Actually, the chipmunks were really sorta dumb, about cats at least, and it was easy for her to catch them. Maybe a kitty would help you, if you have the heart for it. (07/15/2005)

By Wendee

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Find a Feed store and purchase Wolf or Fox urine. Open the bottle before you leave the counter and make certain still has it's potency. Do not put your nose close to the bottle opening, because this stuff has a VERY strong odor. You will be able to smell it once the cap is off. If you can't smell it (perhaps it has sat on the shelf too long), ask for another bottle. Once you get it home sprinkle a very light trickle around your selected perimeter and you will have no more chipmunks or other little critters. The urine does not harm them, the scent is a natural marking in the wild and they avoid it. Good Luck! (07/15/2005)

By Jessica

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

If you just want to keep them from climbing the bird feeder pole, I have a good remedy that really works. Also keeps squirrels and raccoons out. I feed 'em all, but only the birds can access my feeder. Just remove your feeder from the ground, pole and all. set up a piece of 6 inch pvc pipe (sewer pipe) making sure that it reaches from the ground and fits tightly under the feeder at the top. Then replace the pole inside the pipe. These critters cannot wrap their paws around it to climb up. (07/19/2005)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Problem in my area is that there is a law against letting cats run wild - if animal control finds them, they're caught and taken to the pound. I like cats too much to let that happen to one of mine... so for me, I guess it's wolf or fox urine... (06/05/2006)

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

I have them running all over my yard. Two have actually gotten into the house. I found a nest under my vinyl siding that pushed the siding out a good 8 inches. I tapped it until all the dirt and styrofoam that they used to make the nest came out. Then I sprayed it with Peppermint oil. They haven't returned there though I'm sure they have an alternate nest close by. I had to nail the last row of siding to the sill to keep them out of the house. (04/05/2007)

By JOENJ

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

I tried the 5 gallon bucket with sunflower seeds. I watched as a squirrel scooped the seeds out. I think I will try the squirrel trap and maybe get rid of those also. (06/05/2007)

By Jeanne

Getting Rid of Chipmunks
Getting Rid of Chipmunks
A chipmunk sitting on a brand.
Keeping Chipmunks Out of a Garden
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
🎄