Browsing: Getting Rid of Cottonwood Roots

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Cottonwood Roots

Cottonwood trees, like many other trees, produce new trees from root suckers. Even after you cut down an old or unwanted tree, you will have a yard full of new trees from the roots. This is a guide about getting rid of cottonwood roots.

Cottonwood Tree

October 10, 2012 Flag

I had to cut down a dead cottonwood tree. Since that time I have root tips coming up everywhere in my yard. I chop the tips that are coming up, but in a few weeks they are back growing up again. How do I kill them so they don't come back? Please help. I need to kill them to the root.

By Mary B.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Round-Up weed killer will probably work. It may take some persistance over a couple of years to finally convince them to not come up. Round-Up works by being absorbed through the leaves of a weed then going down into the root so be sure to spray when you see leaves.

Home and Garden Gardening TreesJune 11, 2013
A tree planted too close to a home.
Getting Rid of Tree Roots Under a House Foundation
Japanese beetle eating a leaf.
Getting Rid of Japanese Beetles
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
house with trees
Getting Rid of Roots in a Sewer Line
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 10:12:05 PM on 10.0.0.164 in 448 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.