Getting Rid of Cottonwood Roots

Cottonwood trees, like many other trees, produce new trees from root suckers. Even after you cut down an old or unwanted tree, you will have a yard full of new trees from the roots. This is a guide about getting rid of cottonwood roots.

October 10, 2012 Flag

I had to cut down a dead cottonwood tree. Since that time I have root tips coming up everywhere in my yard. I chop the tips that are coming up, but in a few weeks they are back growing up again. How do I kill them so they don't come back? Please help. I need to kill them to the root.

By Mary B.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Round-Up weed killer will probably work. It may take some persistance over a couple of years to finally convince them to not come up. Round-Up works by being absorbed through the leaves of a weed then going down into the root so be sure to spray when you see leaves.

Home and Garden Gardening TreesJune 11, 2013
A tree planted too close to a home.
Getting Rid of Tree Roots Under a House Foundation
Japanese beetle eating a leaf.
Getting Rid of Japanese Beetles
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
house with trees
Getting Rid of Roots in a Sewer Line