Getting Rid of Garter Snakes

How do I get rid of gardener snakes in my basement?

Christina M. from Sioux Falls, SD

Answers:

Getting Rid of Garter Snakes

God Bless you, my friend. I know how you feel. I've had garter snakes nesting between the sidewalk and foundation of my house for several years. They come inside the house too on the lower level. There is nothing quite like watching tv and noticing a snake on the floor beside you. I am deathly afraid of snakes of all types.

Anyway, I learned through the internet (actually a fellow from Australia) that snakes don't like anything with a pungent odor. I bought some spray that smelled of the liniment made with Capzasin (hot peppers). Now I put anything I can find that has a really strong smell in that crack to discourage snakes from nesting there.

My cousin's wife pours cold water on the ones that nest under her porch. I think even that helps. You have to make it so they don't like it there. lol

BTW, I heard that garter snakes have live births not the eggs that I envisioned. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I believe it.

My heart goes out to you. Good luck. (05/16/2008)

By Carol in PA

Getting Rid of Garter Snakes

I also have a huge phobia of snakes. We have many gardens around our house and a pond in the back. The garden snakes just love it here. I found a product at Lowes called "snake away" last spring. I bought five cans of it and put it around my gardens and the pond. I am a big fan of this product. It cut down the snake sightings here by more than half. I would see about 10 snakes in my yard on any given day in the summer, now with this product, I may see one. It smells very strong, but it is worth it if you have a snake problem. (05/26/2008)

By Mark

Getting Rid of Garter Snakes

Garter snakes don't harm anyone. Why would you want to kill them? You may be scared of them but they're more scared of you. Just leave them alone and if you see one in your house get a net and move it down the street (don't kill). (05/26/2008)

By matt