Garter Snake Photos

Category Wildlife
This page contains garter snake photos. A wide variety of these snakes are found throughout North American. These garden helpers are generally harmless to humans and can move fast when encountered.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I had been away from my garden for 8 weeks, after breaking my toe this winter just as the snow was melting. So I have been eager to catch up on my weeding and planting. The black flies are gone now, so Sunday I went out with the best intentions. Low and behold there in the middle of the garden was this beautiful garter snake. Being easily distracted, I put down my tools and went in to fetch my camera.

Just as I was stepping in, to line up the shot, I nearly stepped on a second snake that I hadn't notice. So I busied myself taking pictures of the snake in the garden. After a couple of clicks, I noticed something in the bottom of the garden snake picture; a little brown snake. Cool, I thought, 2 snakes in 1 shot. So inside I go to download the pictures.

After an hour or so, I came back outside to see if my snakes had gone. Nope, instead the other garter had joined the first, and all 3 were laying out in the sun. Inside I went to fetch my camera. When I came back out, the 1 garter had decided to lay on top of the brown, while the other garter kept watch. Nobody ate anybody, and after a few more hours, all had had enough and went home!

By Wendy H.

Garter Snakes

Comment Like this photo? 3

I was weeding the peony bush I have planted under the mailbox. I checked to see if I got all the weeds and much to my surprise this garter snake was looking back at me.

By Jan at Springfield, Minnesota

Garter Snake Under the Bush

Comment Like this photo? Yes