Getting Rid of Head Lice

I heard that shampoo for cats gets rid of head lice, is this true?

By mhatfield from Chillicothe, MO

Answers:

Getting Rid of Head Lice

Not sure if true or not, but I do know that Wal-Mart and any pharmacy carries RID or NIX shampoo, which is what the Doc tells ya to buy. Probably the same cost as cat shampoo, and I know it will not harm your hair the way a cat shampoo might. (05/08/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

Getting Rid of Head Lice

Mayonnaise works wonders, and leaves your hair shiny. Try it before you buy anything harmful, stinky, and expensive. (05/11/2009)

By Poor But Proud

Getting Rid of Head Lice

The best product that I have found is prescription Ovid. But if you can't get that (price I was quoted $180.00) kids were on medicare so it could be gotten.

The school nurse said to use conditioner on dry hair and leave it for an hour. This works if there is not a bad problem. I did the kids hair every day for a month with conditioner. I got the conditioner from the dollar store so it did not break me. Make sure that the hair down to the roots is covered with conditioner. Glitz (05/12/2009)

By Glitz

Getting Rid of Head Lice

Why would you want to use something for cats on humans when you can buy Rid or Nix at Wal-Mart probably cheaper. Use the comb and you will get rid of the problem. (05/12/2009)

By Noella

Getting Rid of Head Lice

We tried everything, literally, when my kids gt a bad case. We learned through hard experience, eliminating every egg is the only way. I got so tired of treating and re-treating, as soon as school let out, all my kids, even both my gals, looked like Sigourney Weaver in "Aliens 2". Got rid of the lice and it was cooler for them that summer. (05/12/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Getting Rid of Head Lice

Here's a cheap, non-toxic and easy solution involving vinegar, mineral oil and plastic wrap.

This March we had a bout of head lice in our household. I tried the expensive over-the-counter chemical laden stuff for $20 bucks a bottle (and we needed four, one for each person in the household). After two applications and days on end of scalding sheets, sweeping furniture and floors, putting stuffed animals into bags, and obsessively combing for nits. It didn't work. I could have screamed.

But, wouldn't you know it, after all of that what worked was a simple and dirt cheap remedy I found on a website run by a pediatrician. He said it's 100% effective. I was skeptical, but I'm not anymore.

Here's what you do:

1. In an empty bottle, mix equal parts of vinegar (I used white, but any will do) with equal parts of mineral oil.
  2. Lightly wet hair then work the solution through the hair and scalp until saturated. Do not rinse yet.
  3. Wrap entire scalp, including all hair, in plastic wrap (I used Press N Seal, which held great). Cover the whole shabang with a shower cap.
  4. Wait one hour.

5. Rinse and wash out with regular shampoo.
  6. Comb for nits with a nit comb (but don't be surprised if you can't find any).

Note: I had to shampoo several times to get out all the oil, but it worked like a charm. The instructions I read said after the final shampoo comb out any remaining nits. I'm happy to report that even though I did a thorough inspection, I couldn't find a single nit after just a single dose of this homemade remedy. I kept checking for several weeks, but the nasty vermin never returned. I couldn't be more thrilled with the results. Good luck. (05/18/2009)

By Mrs. V

Getting Rid of Head Lice

Just cut hair very short (08/13/2009)

By Frank J.

Someone using a nit comb on a child's hair.
Getting Rid of Head Lice
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Mother Nits out of Her Daughters Hair
Preventing Head Lice
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
🎄