Getting Rid of Japanese Knotweed

Getting Rid of Japanese Knotweed
Does anyone know how to get rid of Japanese Knotweed, just short of using napalm? Salt doesn't bother it at all, and digging it out is impossible without renting a bobcat, even then the smallest piece of root will regrow. Right now, I've resorted to throwing heavy plastic tarps over it and snipping off all the new shoots, but it's a lot faster than me.

Beth from Western MA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Japanese Knotweed

I have had luck removing unwanted plants without poisons, by covering the area with old carpet or heavy fabric and covering that with mulch and rocks to look nice. It is called "solarizing" and it also kills any pathogens, germs, etc. I keep it on a full season.
It is healthier to wildlife, pets, and kids than sprays. (04/27/2007)

By OhioGirl

Getting Rid of Japanese Knotweed

Have you tried spraying it with Roundup? That's supposed to kill anything. (04/28/2007)

By tedsmom

Getting Rid of Japanese Knotweed

I'd check with a local horticulturalist. Your extension agent might have info. You have to be impressed with a plant that resilient, especially that far north. Maybe there's some research being done on it. (04/28/2007)

By Jantoo

Getting Rid of Japanese Knotweed
Japanese beetle eating a leaf.
Getting Rid of Japanese Beetles
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
A plate of sushi at a Japanese themed birthday party.
Japanese Themed Birthday Party Ideas
🎄