Getting Rid of Red Ants

Category Ants
Red ants eating borax.
Getting rid of red ants can be a chore. Depending on where they are, inside or in your yard or garden, will define the method or products you use to get rid of them. This is a guide about getting rid of red ants.

Can anyone please tell me how to get rid of tiny red ants in the house?

By EMG

Best Answer

It depends on the ant species, or what the colony is feeding on.

Place a smear of peanut butter and another of jelly near the activity to see what they may go for.

If it is the Jelly (sugar) place out Terro brand baits for them to feed on. If they go for the peanut butter go with Combat brand.

Once they start feeding you should see a difference withing a week and hopefully all are gone after two.

Best Answer

Combine 90% Karo syrup and 10% 20 Mule Team Borax in a squeeze bottle, warmed just a tad so Borax dissolves.

Squeeze the mixture into cracks and areas where pets cannot lick or ingest. Ants will eat and carry back to nest. The nest including the queen is killed.

Queens live up to 20 years and produce many more queens. It's important the entire colony is killed instead of just repelled with products that only repel the workers.

The sticky is gone once the workers ate it. It's the same principle as Terro only simplified and inexpensive. Terro has only 4% Borax.

I have a raised herb bed and have got red ants invading it. I have tried numerous ant powders, etc. with no chance of being rid of them.

Please help x.

By Carolyn from Bedfordshire, UK

Best Answer

I've heard pouring boiling water right into the mound works. I read here some use corn meal sprinkled near the top of the mound. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

I read in an ad for a gardening mag. that you can put cucumber peelings on an ant hill and they'd either leave or die. Don't remember which.

Best Answer

Red ants are the only the enemy of termites. I do not run them off. But if were over run with them I would use Sevin. Sevin will them all. Sevin should be used for Jap beetles. Do not use beetle traps.

Also the cleaner 409 is good to use to ants on the patio and decks. 409 is cheap.

We have large red ants and mounds all over our property, and all through our vegetable garden. Does anyone know a good way to totally get rid of them? We want them out of our garden for good, and obviously we need something that will not harm the plants, vegetables or us when we eat them. Can someone help please?

Natalie from Richfield, UT

Answers:

Getting Rid of Red Ants

Try baking soda and icing sugar mixed together. Always works for me! (07/06/2008)

By slyk_b

Getting Rid of Red Ants

Ortho Fire-ant Killer is the best and fastest way to get rid of fire ants. I've tried everything on the market and every homemade remedy I knew of. This is the best ever. I sprinkle just a little on the mound. Within a few hours the ants are gone (and they don't come back).

(07/07/2008)

By dixie35481

RE: Getting Rid of Red Ants

Getting Rid of Red Ants

I just recently read that cornmeal sprinkled all over the area is good. I tried it and can tell you many of the little pest in the garden are gone, including the red ants. They also don't like vinegar or ammonia. I use them around the house and door and stairways at home so they don't come in. Good luck! (07/08/2008)

By Roni707

Getting Rid of Red Ants

I use Epsom salts mixed with ground up orange peels that have been left in a jar overnight so the orange oil can soak into the Epsom salts. Sprinkle it around any place you see ants and in ant mounds and they will move away quick. Here is the website I first found this on.

allexperts.com

(07/09/2008)

By EJRIOS2006

Getting Rid of Red Ants

I have heard about this method, though I have not tried it. Place grits (for red ants) or corn meal (for black ants) around the mound. The ants will carry it back into the mound, feed the queen and when the grits rehydrate inside the stomach of the ant, say bye bye to your ant problem. (07/11/2008)

By Phyllis

I have a yard full of red ants; what can I do? I hate to have to pay the high for the cost of most commercial insecticides.

Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Red Ants

Hi Nelwyn! I am here on the other side of the state in Slidell and we have had a terrible time with ants since Katrina. I have found that if you pour liquid Citronella into the mounds until they are saturated it kills them and it is not harmful to the pets. You can also make bait traps with 3 tablespoons of boric acid and 1/4 cup of sugar dissolved into a cup of hot water. Press a disposable pie plate into the mound then pour that mixture into it. Within 2 or 3 days the mound is dead. (This method is better in my opinion, but the dogs were too curious.) (05/03/2006)

By Blueyedsis

Getting Rid of Red Ants

Bleach also works, pour about a cap full on top of the ant hill. It will kills those in the hive and run off the others. (05/04/2006)

By Mary

Getting Rid of Red Ants

Hi! To kill ants without using chemicals, take a bucket and fill with warm tap water. Pour the warm water into the ant mound. Usually it takes one or two applications, but it works! We use this all the time for fire ants in Georgia.

Cathy G. (05/04/2006)

By cathyg

Getting Rid of Red Ants

Control
Natural enemies of fire ants have been tested for mass releases that would control the ants in large areas, and progress is being made. Biological control agents include Beauvaria basisanna, a natural fungus disease that attacks fire ants, and beneficial nematodes. Pouring boiling water on individual mounds is effective in small areas.
...Found on this website:http://www.garden.org/pestlibrary/bugs.php?q=show&id=1612 (05/04/2006)

By Mary

Getting Rid of Red Ants

Grits. The ant eats it and it expands and kills them. Works GREAT for fire ants. I will never use anything else! (05/14/2007)

By mlstewart

Getting Rid of Red Ants

Boil water with cayenne pepper in it. Pour it all over the ant mounds. One application usually does the trick! (07/08/2007)

By Ricky