Getting Rid of Ticks - Our Yard Is Infested With Ticks

I live in Kansas and I am having a terrible problem with ticks in my yard. I live right next to a weed and tree infested lot, out in the country. We have a dying pine tree that needs to be removed this summer. Are ticks attracted to this as well? What is the best way to treat the yard?

By Sunnie from Wichita, KS

Answers:

I assume you have dogs or some kind of host for these insects. Are you using Frontline? Regular use along with spreading ant granules on the yard should eliminate them. Make sure you buy granules that also kill ticks. Frontline kills ticks, not just repels them, so leave the dog out. The more Frontline treated animals in your yard the quicker the problem leaves. (05/15/2009)

By kelhawk

I don't know if this is a possibility, but guinea hens eat ticks. Many people get them for this reason. (05/15/2009)

By AmyMart

(submitted via email)

Kerosene is toxic to humans and pets, and I wouldn't recommend using it on your dog's skin/fur to get rid of ticks or fleas. The commercial flea and tick collars (Frontline included) are full of dangerous pesticides and other chemicals that can cause sickness and disease in your pet. The best way to get rid of fleas and ticks is by shampooing them with a tea tree oil shampoo once a week if necessary, or use another natural remedy.

Lorrie (08/06/2009)

By Sappie