Getting Rid of a Sweetgum Tree

Removing a tree from your garden may require special tools or professional assistance. This is a guide about getting rid of a sweetgum tree.

Sweetgum Tree
Filter Sort

Question: Killing a Sweet Gum Tree

By Karen 1 1

How can I kill a sweet gum tree to let it gradually die because it is too tall to cut in my yard?

Karen from Arkansas

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Karen,

If you can, drill a few holes in the roots or at the base of the tree. Take boiled hot water that you've added a whole box of salt to and pour into the holes. If you can't drill holes then pour hot salt boiling water around on top of the roots and around the tree. This does take alittle time to do. but by later in the season it should rot. You can also use this method on stumps that you want to get rid of. It rots them completely. Hope this helps you.

Beverly

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

A tree removal service can remove even the tallest sweet gum trees by climbing the tree and lopping it off from the top down. The problem with killing the tree as it stands is that then the tree will fall when the next big wind blows -- probably onto your house, car, or propane tank, luck being what it is.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Sweet Gum Tree Root Removal

I just had a sweet gum cut down. It was very close to my home. I still have the root to get rid of. The bad part is some of it is under my home so we can't use a grinder. What is the fastest way to kill and remove this stump and roots?

By Leigh A.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By susan 8 1,368 Flag

Grind the stump down as much as possible, then go to the hardware store and and buy a container of roundup for trees and bushes. Pour the roundup liberally over the remaining underground stump. The roundup will kill stump roots so no new shoots are sent up.

Over time, the roots will rot in the ground. If some shoots are sent up, make sure you spray them too. If you want, you can also buy something called "root rot" at the hardware store also. It will help the stump to deteriorate quicker.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Tree Removal Advice

By Randy 1

Can I fell a sweetgum tree and uproot the stump by cutting through the roots and letting the tree's weight do the work?

By Randy from Brunswick, GA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By digger 1 Flag

I own a tree service so I have seen some pretty reckless attempts at tree felling but that would take the cake. You would have no control of the tree if and when it falls.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Gardening TreesApril 29, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Sweetgum Tree
Growing a Sweetgum Tree
Photo of a tree stump.
Getting Rid of a Tree Stump
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Sweetgum Tree
Preventing a Sweetgum Tree From Making Balls
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:41:56 AM on 10.0.1.182 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings