Getting Rid of a Sweetgum Tree

Removing a tree from your garden may require special tools or professional assistance. This is a guide about getting rid of a sweetgum tree.

March 5, 2007 Flag

How can I kill a sweet gum tree to let it gradually die because it is too tall to cut in my yard?

Karen from Arkansas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Karen,

If you can, drill a few holes in the roots or at the base of the tree. Take boiled hot water that you've added a whole box of salt to and pour into the holes. If you can't drill holes then pour hot salt boiling water around on top of the roots and around the tree. This does take alittle time to do. but by later in the season it should rot. You can also use this method on stumps that you want to get rid of. It rots them completely. Hope this helps you.

Beverly

Best Answer

A tree removal service can remove even the tallest sweet gum trees by climbing the tree and lopping it off from the top down. The problem with killing the tree as it stands is that then the tree will fall when the next big wind blows -- probably onto your house, car, or propane tank, luck being what it is.

I don't know, but I've heard that cutting through the bark all the way around will kill a tree.

April 23, 2010 Flag

Can I fell a sweetgum tree and uproot the stump by cutting through the roots and letting the tree's weight do the work?

By Randy from Brunswick, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't think that will be enough. Plus it's not very safe, as you want to guide where the tree falls. Depending on the size, you might consider calling a tree service.

I own a tree service so I have seen some pretty reckless attempts at tree felling but that would take the cake. You would have no control of the tree if and when it falls.

I have taken dozens of trees down by digging around the base and pushing it over with a small excavator. I can control the direction of the falk and get the stump out all in one shot. I have taken down pine trees as big as 16".

October 10, 2011 Flag

I just had a sweet gum cut down. It was very close to my home. I still have the root to get rid of. The bad part is some of it is under my home so we can't use a grinder. What is the fastest way to kill and remove this stump and roots?

By Leigh A.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've heard of success by driving a huge nail or railroad spike down the center of the stump, but it takes years to accomplish the subsequent rot of the stump and root.

There are products available at plant nursery centres that hasten the decomposition, make sure you read and follow the directions carefully.

Grind the stump down as much as possible, then go to the hardware store and and buy a container of roundup for trees and bushes. Pour the roundup liberally over the remaining underground stump. The roundup will kill stump roots so no new shoots are sent up.

Over time, the roots will rot in the ground. If some shoots are sent up, make sure you spray them too. If you want, you can also buy something called "root rot" at the hardware store also. It will help the stump to deteriorate quicker.

Home and Garden Gardening TreesApril 29, 2013
Photo of a tree stump.
Getting Rid of a Tree Stump
Paper Mulberry Tree
Getting Rid of a Paper Mulberry Tree
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Sweetgum Tree
Preventing a Sweetgum Tree From Making Balls
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 2:23:00 PM on 10.0.0.96 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.