Gift Ideas for Mother's 50th Birthday

My mom is turning 50 this year and I want to get her something big and something really special (doesn't have to be both). I was thinking a new TV, but it doesn't seem to be something she's too excited about. I think she might like something more like an experience gift.

Unfortunately most "experience gift websites" mainly have thrill seeking things and she's not really into that. She might be more into a pottery or cooking class. Any suggestions for something like this would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

Things I have thought of so far:

• pottery class- maybe though she's never expressed great interest in this
  • glass blowing- can't do, the smoke would aggravate her asthma

• cooking class- possibly a great idea, but I don't want to offend her

• wine tasting- really great, but quite possibly expensive

We live in MD by the way.

By Katrina from Baltimore, MD

Answers:

Gift Ideas for Mother's 50th Birthday

Maybe she would like a gift card to a ceramic shop where she could make an item. Or maybe classes for scrapbooking that way she could make a scrapbook of memories. (06/17/2010)

By redhatterb

Gift Ideas for Mother's 50th Birthday

As she grew older, I always found it harder and harder to pick out gifts for my mother. It always seemed what she liked and what I thought she would like were two different things. Last year I think I struck gold with her birthday gift. Something that I personally have had for a while without even thinking it was special. I bought her a GPS system for her car. It was a great gift for a few reasons, but my favorite is because of the fact that she and my father have just recently moved closer to me and she isn't as familiar with the area as she was back home so her new GPS is now allowing her to get out of the house more often. She'll drive around the city for hours finding new stores and restaurants she's never been to and when she's done she hits the "go home" button and has no trouble getting back home! Great idea for someone looking to get out of the house and experience life a little. You can't get lost if you always know where you're at! (06/17/2010)

By danward

Gift Ideas for Mother's 50th Birthday

About the wine tasting, search for places near you on the internet. I live in Texas, and my local winery charges under $20/person for a tour and wine tasting. It's really a great experience for all ages.
Otherwise (and I know you said she is not a thrill seeker), take her to get a tattoo! I am waiting for my 50th birthday for my first one, that way I can't say it was a stupid mistake I made when I was younger. And don't discount it, your mother might just surprise you and say yes! (06/18/2010)

By Michelle

Gift Ideas for Mother's 50th Birthday

You are a thoughtful daughter. As a middle aged mom, I would enjoy an "experience" with my daughter. Anything you know she would enjoy would be even better if the two of you do it together. It doesn't have to be expensive to be meaningful. (06/18/2010)

By txcatlover

Gift Ideas for Mother's 50th Birthday

Other classes to consider: quilting, knitting or crochet, stained glass, watercolor/oil painting. (06/19/2010)

By PainterLee

Gift Ideas for Mother's 50th Birthday

I'm in my fifties. I tell my children to give me gift certificates to places that give facials, massages, manicures and pedicures, etc. I love these. Very relaxing. If you want to do the wine tasting and she lives near a university, check with them. I know some of the ones down here offer classes and they aren't that expensive. (06/19/2010)

By PDG

Gift Ideas for Mother's 50th Birthday

As a mom (of sons) I agree with the mom who said that an experience gift would be great, especially one which you could do together. Off the top of my head, I would suggest going to a play or a concert, wine tasting, going to a game if you both enjoy a sport, learning something together like skiing or rollerblading or line dancing, doing something rather offbeat like whitewater rafting, or maybe going on a "girls weekend" together to a spa or a special craft festival or to visit a historical sight or to the beach. (06/19/2010)

By louel53

Gift Ideas for Mother's 50th Birthday

Check with your local Michael's craft store. They are always having classes in everything you can imagine; scrapbooking, cake decorating, jewelry making, floral design, oil painting, like I said, any craft you could imagine! Buy her a gift certificate to cover the cost of the class and the supplies, and maybe even attend with her. You could make matching necklaces, for instance, to remember this very special time in your lives. And congratulations on still having your mother. Bless you both! (06/19/2010)

By dollyslaffn

Gift Ideas for Mother's 50th Birthday

An experience I have done, my kids have done, go work at a homeless shelter food prep area. Those that have done this find it a wonderful and thankful experience that they are not in that position. Donate your gift money.
Another similar one is find a site doing kids against hunger/feeding children international. What you feel in the fellowship of doing for someone else cannot be compared to a big TV, etc. These are lifetime experiences. I take my granddaughters, my sons did this when young too. The last feeding children event was 4 hours long, 1 hr commitment. I wanted to stay for the whole 4 hours. You are doing your part to help world wide. (06/21/2010)

By T&T Grandma

50th Birthday Party
50th Birthday Gift Ideas for Women
50th Anniversary Gift Box
50th Anniversary Gift Ideas
Mother's Day Party Ideas
Mother's Day Party Ideas
Gift basket with green ribbon.
Making a Mother's Day Gift Basket
Party Balloons
Surprise 50th Birthday Party Ideas
🎉
🎄