Gnats in the House

Is there a home remedy for getting rid of little flies (gnats) around our house?

By Ed from Reno, NV

Answers:

Gnats In the House

1. Plug all your sinks and tubs throughout your house.
  2. Hang some sticky fly paper around your bathrooms and kitchen areas out of reach of children and pets.

3. Make sure all food scraps are kept under refrigeration until garbage day or put immediately in recycle bin for the garden which is hopefully out of your living areas.

4. Make sure all open windows and doors to the outside have intact screens and the windows and doors shut tightly.

I live in Florida so you know that I know about bugs. They mostly hatch out in drains in your house so keep all drains plugged after use and you will have to "train" the family to be vigilant about this. Good luck.

Hamnurse (02/06/2010)

By hamnurse

Gnats in the House

Put apple cider vinegar in an empty salt shaker, the flies are attracted to the apple vinegar they go in through the hole and they can't get out and drown. I have tried it and it works, in the morning they float on top. I put a couple around the house.
(02/09/2010)

By atinap

Gnats in the House

I call those pesky critters "fruit flies" because they appear every time I buy more than 2 bananas at the store. Even green ones. 100s of wee flies, that are so smart for so short of a time. I freeze my bananas after slicing. Good for cooking, and good for cold mixed drinks, ie: breakfast drink, etc.

The flies seem to die on their own, on a "special" place by my sideboard. Get the fruit out of the way, and all is well. Don't toss fruit skins or uneaten pieces in the trash in the house. Use plastic bags from store and freeze it til garbage day. I only have this problem in the summer. Good luck to all. I am going to try the vinegar, since I use it for everything else in the house and garden. The odor of the vinegar goes away when it dries. (02/09/2010)

By islandsage

Gnats in the House

Put about 1/4-1/2 inch of apple cider vinegar in a small jar with just a drop or two of dish washing liquid. The dish washing liquid breaks the surface tension of the vinegar and the little critters drown. Cover tightly with plastic wrap held with a rubber band and put several small slits in the plastic. Then be patient. This works every time for me.

The gnats do not come from the drain. They are attracted there by the food scrap in the disposal. Hope this works as well for you as it does for me. (02/09/2010)

By mom4boyz

Gnats in the House

If you have indoor plants like I do, put sand on the top of the potting soil. It will prevent any gnats from coming up out of the soil and ruining that great party you're planning. (02/09/2010)

By pinkmellie59

Gnats in the House
Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
Insect Repellant
Repelling Gnats Outside
Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
🎉
🎄