Growing Concord Grapes

Category Fruit
The much loved Concord grape, found in gardens across the country, is a descendant of a wild native grape from New England. This is a guide about growing Concord grapes.

I used to have a bountiful crop. Now, even though pruned properly there are lots of leaves, but very few grapes dropping tiny bunches. What is left is uneven.

By Agnes P.

I am not sure where you live; but the heat and humidity have ruined most of mine, as well. You may try spraying them; but I don't like to do that; so, I will hope for a better crop next year!

I want to take some cuttings from a very healthy, old (100 yrs), and family grown Concord grape vine in the western, PA area for planting in my south Charlotte yard. I have a lot of room in the back yard (1/2 acre facing southeast) with direct sun and partial shade areas in the open or next to a brick wall. Any suggestions on the best location? I understand Concord grapes may not be the first pick for this area, but I wanted to give it a try. Thanks!

By Douglas from Charlotte, NC

Please check with your state agriculture department for rules on bringing in plant material from other states. There may be some disease/insect issues going on that you aren't aware of. If they are ok with it, you might try taking several cuttings and peeling off the bottom several leaves, sticking the cuttings in a pot filled with good potting soil. Keep the soil moist, cross your fingers, and give it a go. If you get some of the rooting hormone powder to dip the cuttings in first, that often helps. Grapes are funny plants. If you want to kill them, you can't; if you want to get one going, it won't sometimes.

Question:

The grapes on our concord grape vine will not get ripe, they stay green and hard until they dry up and fall off. Is there something we can do to prevent this?

JC from Greensboro, NC

Answer:

JC,

A common problem that plagues concord grapes is uneven ripening. This is when some (or most) of the berries within a grape cluster ripen unevenly. Some of the berries remain sour, hard and green, while others continue to develop normally. The grapes that fail to ripen may grow to a full size, but they don't soften and they never see the increase in sugars and decrease in acid that occurs during the normal ripening process.

Uneven ripening can affect a small or large portion of the total grape crop and seems to happen to grape crops every few years. This problem is only associated with concord grapes and although the reasons are not completely understood, it's thought to be due to hot temperatures, overcropping (allowing the vine to produce more fruit than it is capable of bringing to maturity) or canopy shade. Concord grapes do not tolerate high temperatures, which is why commercial productions of this variety of grape is not common in your area.

Still, many people have success growing them in the backyard garden. Have you had some unusually warm weather this summer? For more information on diagnosing grape diseases, check out this bulletin from North Carolina State University: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/notes/Fruit/fdin012/fdin012.htm

Ellen

Are they in full sunlight? I'm originally from NC and our muscadines did well in the shade, but here in NY, my concords need full sunlight. Even a little shade on the end of the vine and thos in the shade do just what you are describing. So will not receiving enough water.

I grow them in my yard with very little care in Canada. In the winter i place egg shells at the root on ground. They love the calcium!!!!! Try it!!

I have had grape vines for many years in my back yard. I got lots of good Concord grapes. But the last few years, something is not right. The vines, leaves, and growth is just right. The grapes start out fine and all of a sudden this happens.

I will try to enclose photo.

Do you have any suggestions?

By DE