Growing Grapes in Containers

Category Container
Even if you don't have a garden space, you can successfully grow grapes in a container on your patio or deck. This is a guide about growing grapes in containers.

This is not an actual tip. It's my chance to brag. It is though, to let you know you can grow grapes in a very small, close by, place. A place that gets full sun most of the day.

Imagine yourself and your significant other, each in a chaise lounge on your deck or patio, basking in the late evening sun. You suddenly get an urge for a grape.

As the grapes you have grown in 5 gallon buckets (or decorative containers), are closer to your mate than you, you ask. 'Dahling, would you be a dear and fetch me a grape'.

Your Sweet reaches a mere arms length, procures a handful of grapes, and lovingly feeds them to you, one by one. Isn't life grand. There's sure to be some close encounters tonight.

On a more serious note, ready to eat grapes growing nearby can be had by most anyone. They take up little space, are easy to care for and are perfectly winter hardy (no need to bring them inside during winter).

My real bragging will come later when I add a picture of fully ripe grapes. I can do this only if I keep the vine covered with bird netting. As there are several small grape clusters that can't be seen in the picture, this vine should be loaded. Yes!

With 5 gallon buckets and grape vines both readily available at Lowe's, you have no excuse. Here, you will find a simplified version of how to grow grape vines as standards.

http://pallensmith.com/2015/03/23/growing-grapes-in-a-small-space/

Are you sure this is just about grapes?
You may need netting soon as I'm sure someone will be watching for that first sign of color.
I haven't tried this but it sounds like a winner and I do have a perfect spot just waiting for something like this. Fresh grapes are soo good!
Thanks - again,
Betty

No, there are several berries and dwarf fruit trees that would fit into this category. And yes, the grapes now have nets over them, as well as the blueberries and blackberries.

Thanks for the information about planting in containers as I had never tried this and missed out on some trees/vines that I would liked to have had.

This idea is mostly new to me so I now have new areas to work with and my oldest son only has a small ground area so I'm going to be talking with him about trying some of these ideas.
Thanks again for great tips, instructions and photos.

Anonymous

Ikea sells these nets in the Kid's section for over sandboxes, they can be hung from hook and would cover a garden square box...i am thinking of getting several for my blackberry patch