Growing English Ivy

Category Perennials
English Ivy Leaf
English ivy is a hardy vining plant that grows very well in warm weather and is easy enough to grow, even for the novice gardener. This is a guide about growing English ivy.

Please be careful with English ivy. I planted some several years ago and it has really caused me a lot of problems. One problem is that it climbed up the side of my house. I planted it to cover my foundation on one side of my house and it has pulled some of the siding loose.

This will be the 3rd summer since I have planted English ivy (hedera helix) outside to climb up a 6-foot stockade fence. So far, it has only reached about halfway up this fence, and it seems to me that it should be taller at this point.

I have never pruned or cut this ivy back, and our last two summers here in PA have been very rainy. Also, this ivy is planted in a mostly sunny/partly shady location. My plants appear to be very healthy, and I know this vine is supposed to be known for its hardiness.

So, I have two questions: 1. Am I doing something wrong here? and 2. What can you suggest to speed up the growth of my English ivy vines?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Tori

Best Answer

Ivy is an acid and shade loving plant.

First, be sure it is planted is a shady area. Adding a couple inches of mulch will certainly help.

Second, buy Miracle Gro Acid, this isn't the regular Miracle Gro, but rather the one for acid loving plants. Mix according to directions and feed weekly.

Sometimes ivy are slow starters, but watch out, when they take off, they are aggressive.

You will have a real 'green thumb' if you follow the above directions.

Jim

Can English ivy coexist with hosta plants or will the ivy kill off the hostas?

By Jean from Sandy Hook, CT

English Ivy will kill off anything it is near! If you want any, put in a hanging basket and be sure and keep it over cement!

I have had English ivy, on the side of my house, for the past 6 years that has done wonderfully. This year after a long winter and a slow start to spring my ivy, as of May 12, still has not taken on any leaves. Should I be worried?

By Art S.