Growing Gerbera Daisies

Category Flowers
Gerbera Daisy
Gerbera daisies are a beautiful perennial garden plant in warm areas and also work well as a potted plant, to grow indoors or bring in from the cold. This is a guide about growing gerbera daisies.

Can Gerber daisies be planted in the garden? Are they an annual or a perennial?

By John M

In warm climates, gerberas are perennial. In temperate climates, they are annuals. I live in zone 5A, and here they are annuals, unless brought inside in the fall.

I live in zone 5b and bring mine in in the fall and they have flowered inside if you put them in a sunny window.

At my house (in the Williamette Valley, OR) the gerbera daisies were here when I bought the house. They grow as a perennial and their flowers range from light yellow to light orange. I'm not sure why there is a difference in the colors. I just water them and let them do their own thing and they are doing great!

I have a gerbera (barbertoon daisy). Lately its been having all this white stuff on the leaves. So I asked a friend and she told me to spray salt water on it. I did and now the leaves are all shriveled up. It looks like it's dying. Please help. This plant is really special to me. Please help me.

By Mandy from South Afrika

Salt burns the leaves and if the salt is carried into the soil by the water it will kill the plant. If it is in a pot put the pot in a bucket of water. Shower the leaves as well. Let it stay in the water for 30' then take it out to wash off the salt from the soil and let it dry. Do not try any other treatment until it recovers. The white grey stuff you saw could be oïdium.

A plant will better resist Oïdium or powdery mildew if it is not over watered especialy when temperatures are between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit and if when watered it is only at ground level and the leaves are kept dry. To treat Oïdium you can spray the leaves once a week with a mixture of one tablespoon of neem oil extract concentrate with half a gallon of plain water. To prevent Oidium apply the same treatment once in the spring and once in the summer. Hope this can help your Gerbera.

I planted several types of Gerbera Daises in containers. They are growing beautifully (once I got the dog to quit sleeping the the container). Do I need to do anything special to them to keep them protected this winter?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By cindy101 from Southwest,Va

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I took this picture at the beginning of summer here in Texas. My favorite flower is the Gerbera daisy, especially the red one. I purchased the seed and grew this one from that, extremely proud of how well it grew and flourished I just have to show it off!

By Shelly

Gerbera Daisy

Comment Like this photo? 12

I have these daisies in an old stroller from the 40's. Daisies always make me smile, they are so cheerful.

By Elaine

Garden: Gerbera Daisy

Garden: Gerbera Daisy

This is a Gerbera Daisy that I have in my flower garden that returned from last year. I like to think I have a green thumb and I have to thank thrifty fun for helping me with all the advice and postings. This Gerber Daisy has 2 flowers in 1! So Pretty!

By Carrie from Ludowici, GA

Garden: Gerbera Daisy

Answers:

Garden: Gerbera Daisy

Beautiful! You must have a green thumb! (04/19/2010)

By southeastgeorgiapeach

Garden: Gerbera Daisy

My fantastic daughter does truly have a green thumb. (04/19/2010)

By dragonflysue