Growing Green and Healthy Grass

Category Lawn
Growing Green and Healthy Grass
A beautiful green, healthy lawn is quite attractive. However, this is not achieved without some work on your part. This is a guide about growing green and healthy grass.

How does one revive and make a lush lawn?

By carubio

Best Answer

You can aerate the soil, plant more grass seed, use fertilizer and water frequently during dry season. You'll also be mowing more often.

Question:

I need to know how to make and keep my lawn green.

Elena G. from Salt Lake City, UT

Answer:

Elena,

If you want a lush, green lawn, optimize conditions that favor grass growth. Here are a few general tips to get you started.

• Choose the right variety of grass, one that will succeed in the conditions found in your lawn.
  • Mow high? Set your lawn mower to a height of 3 to 4 inches. The depth of grass roots is proportional to the height of the grass blade. In other words, tall grass blades manufacture more food and produce strong, healthy roots. Tall blades also help shade weed seedlings from the sun and help prevent them from sprouting. Deep roots are much less vulnerable to stress from drought. Mowing at the proper height is the most important thing you can do to improve the health of your lawn.
  • Leave grass clippings on your lawn after you mow. Grass clippings break down quickly and provide growing grass with about half of the nitrogen they need. Adding 1 inch of compost to your lawn in the Fall will help improve the texture and add valuable organic nutrients to the soil.
  • Have your soil tested. This will help you determine if your soil lacks nutrients and help you correct any deficiencies indicated by the test results. Contact your local extension agency for more information.
  • Water deeply and only when necessary (when your lawn starts to show signs of stress from drought).
  • Aerate to reduce soil compaction. Compacted soil prevents air, water, and nutrients from getting down to the roots of the grass. Aeration increases water and nutrient penetration and encourages root development. Soil aerators can be rented or a local lawn service can do it for you.

Here are a few publications on lawn care specific to Utah turf.

Good luck!
Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers:

Green and Healthy Grass

I've had good luck with lime. Spread on the lawn then water in well each Spring. It also keeps away fleas if you have a pet. (06/26/2008)

By Soochatty

Green and Healthy Grass

I'm new to this, but what I did is working so far. I did some reading on it, and found out that coffee grounds help make grass look great. I did it, and my lawn looks great. Even our neighbor asked me what we were doing, because there was such a big difference. Also, since we have our morning coffee, instead of throwing the coffee grounds away I have another use for them, which is helping my plants and grass thrive. (07/06/2008)

By gladysg

Green and Healthy Grass

The landscape maintenance companies and most of the homeowners around here do the fertilizing with every change of season, which means of course four times a year. First of Spring is the greenup feeding, first of Summer is the keep-going feeding, first of Fall is the winterize feeding, and first of Winter is the deep roots feeding. The recommended fertilizer type is different for those different purposes. (09/18/2008)

By kimhis

Green and Healthy Grass

I am from the central valley in California (Zone 9). Every Spring and Fall this is our routine: spread layer of gypsum, then composted dry manure, then grass seed, then compost, and last is peat moss or alfalfa meal. Rake in and water well for at least 2 weeks. (09/19/2008)

By Ms. Carmen

Green and Healthy Grass

First you have to know what kind of grass you have then search online for all the info you need, all grass is not alike. You can do harm if you don't know all the above, good luck. (03/01/2009)

By KW

Does anyone have a method for lawn care which makes your grass look green and healthy?

Thanks, Paula

Answers:

Green and Healthy Grass

You're going to get a lot of feedback on this one. I am leaving feedback to tell you that grass is seasonal, you either have winter grass or summer grass. Fertilize grass S.O.D. Sept. Oct & Dec. (hopefully organic) co-operative extension in your local area can tell you which grass does best in your area. (09/20/2004)

By Diamondee

Green and Healthy Grass

My husband mows on a high setting so the grass stays high but neatly trimmed. This keeps the moisture in the grass and we never have to water it. It stays green all summer, maybe not as green as the best lawn on the block, but still very green. We live in NC so we are a little more humid and wet than some other areas. (09/21/2004)

By Heather

Green and Healthy Grass

Hi Pat,
You should find these sights helpful. They are all about organic lawn care.

(09/23/2004)

By Newt

Green and Healthy Grass

Broadcast Ammonium Nitrate very lightly and water in well. If you put too much on, it will temporarily turn your grass brown. But a light application will make your grass grow green and healthy. Be prepared to mow twice as often. The bonus is that it also eliminates a tick and chigger problem. (09/23/2004)

By Harlean from Arkansas