Growing Out Hair With Highlights

Category Coloring
Woman with highlights in her hair.
Highlights lend a dramatic effect to your hair. However, when they start to grow out they no longer look that nice. This is a guide about growing out hair with highlights.

I have dark blonde hair with really pretty highlights, but I've gotten to the point where I'm sick of paying and spending so much time to get it done. I've decided to grow it out. Any tips to make it look less harsh/bizarre as it grows out?

By Jennie from Tempe

Best Answer

Color your hair with one of the semi-permanent solutions. They wash out gradually over about 4 to 6 weeks.

Choose a shade that matches your natural color. It won't change your natural color, but will make the highlights blend in.

It's very simple to do it yourself and you can usually catch one on sale for about $6.

I've used Clairol Natural Instincts and Garnier Herbashine.

I think L'Oreal makes one now, but I haven't tried it.

I like the Garnier one the best.

Best Answer

You really need to have a professional stylist do lowlights.

If you don't want to use the semi permanent as Southern Saver suggested I'd use one of the Roux FanciFull mousses that wash out. You can buy them at the beauty supply store like Sally's. They are quite inexpensive. You may think of them as what the older ladies used to tone down the yellow in grey hair but the right one can really give your hair a beautiful color. I used them when I was trying to let my color grow off. I used one that made my grey look blonde and I really liked the color it gave me. I finally went back to permanent color as it gives my hair body.

I got "low lights" to match my root color. Had the stylist leave a few tiny pieces of the blonde so it wouldn't be such a dramatic change.