Growing Pineapple

How can I start a pineapple top as a plant?

By Catherione

Answers:

Growing Pineapple

Look on: www.tropicalpermaculture.com/growing-pineapples.html

We are growing pineapples from the information we got from this site. Good luck! (02/18/2010)

By debera

Growing Pineapple

My husband has started several pineapple plants. They really thrive in the warm weather. So he sits pot and all outdoors after the temperatures get warm.

To start the plant, he cuts off the top part of the pineapple, leaving as little flesh as possible. Then places the top in the clay saucer of a flower pot, puts in some gravel, and adds water. If you keep it watered, it will slowly start to make roots. After there are many roots, you put it in some good rich soil, with some sand added to it. Then it will continue to grow. He has had some little pineapples to shoot up from the top.

This is not fool proof! Sometimes by using too much water, the top slowly died. And if he left too much flesh on the top, it would "rot" in the water, and die. But if this happened. We purchased another fresh pineapple, and started over, plus we got to eat that fresh pineapple! It is just trial and error. They really grew fast when outside on our deck in the summer. Have fun! (02/19/2010)

By Barb in Tennessee

Growing Pineapple

Another thing to remember is that if you grow your own pineapple and plan to consume the fruits, most pineapples you purchase from the grocery stores are cured with salt and/or sugar to reduce the acidity in the fruit. If you are like a lot of people (we learned the hard way with my grandma and daughter) and are sensitive to the acid, you will swell up badly. And it is very painful, so just keep that in mind! (03/09/2010)

By ApacheAngel

Growing Pineapple

I have a pineapple plant, when I got my first fruit I tore the top off and kept some of the knob of fruit. It is growing great, the fruit usually blooms every other year. I am in California and it is fun. I took smaller growths that did not bloom and planted them separately and they are growing great. (10/14/2010)

By Karen

Pineapple plant with fruit.
Growing Pineapples
Storing Pineapples, Canning Pineapples. Sliced fresh mini pineapple.
Freezing Pineapple
Canning Pineapples
Pineapple and top of pineapple against green background
Growing Pineapples in Pots
Selecting Good Pineapples
🎉
🎄