Growing Tomatoes in Hanging Planters

Category Container
Hanging planter baskets holding tomato plants with numerous yellow blossoms and green cherry tomatoes against a rustic background.
We have seen the upside down planters for growing tomatoes, but you can also grow them in normal hanging planters. This is a guide about growing tomatoes in hanging planters.

Growing the tomato plant upside down makes the fruit much easier to pick. This is a guide about growing tomatoes upside down.

Growing Tomatoes Upside Down

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

I have hanging baskets with tomato plants. How often should I water them?

By huggybear from Macon, GA

Best Answer

I water mine daily. Make sure you don't drown them, but a couple quarts of water each day would be about right. Keep it consistant. The splitting of the tomato as they enlarge and ripen as well as bottom rot is uneven watering.

I have just bought some "Tumbler" tomato plants for hanging baskets, for the first time. Do I still need to pinch out the side shoots in the same way as normal tomatoes? Also, as I've never grown these before I am concerned that the basket may not provide enough depth of compost and consequently whether they will get enough water. Does anyone have any experience or tips please for growing hanging tomatoes?

Fiona from UK

Answers:

Tomatoes in Hanging Planters

The suckers do need to be trimmed from the tomato whether it is in the ground, in a pot, or hanging upside down on your patio. These shoots will not produce fruit and will starve the main plant of vital nutrients. (06/16/2007)

By Adam

Has anyone out there seen the wonderful advertisement on TV for growing tomatoes hanging upside down? I looked at the price of each and decided I couldn't afford to buy 6 or 7. I would love to know if someone has an idea for making your own hanging tomato growers. Thank you!

Pattie from Bridgton, ME

Answers:

Making Your Own Hanging Tomato Baskets

I used to do these in coffee cans. Cut both ends off a coffee can. Cut an X into the plastic lid. Put the plant through the lid (carefully) and snap the lid on the bottom. Fill the can from the other end with potting soil. Punch holes through the edge of the open end, and use cord or wire to create a hanger.

Hang up and watch them grow. (04/11/2008)

By QueenBeeCrafts

Making Your Own Hanging Tomato Baskets

I was planning on using a five gallon bucket, drilling a hole in the bottom about 2 inches in diameter; then lining the bottom with a landscaping fabric scrap. I will cut an "x" in the fabric to stick the plant starter through, then hold the bucket up and fill it with garden and potting soil. I might plant a few small flowers in the top for fun.

The biggest consideration for mine will be to hang it on something sturdy enough for the soil/water/plant. If I can come up with a good hanger, I was thinking I might try another kind of plant, too. Still thinking on that.

I was also thinking it might be fun to do a "tomato tree" like at Epcot, if I find a seedling that is really leggy. I will plant it and train it up and up, nipping off any side shoots, until it gets about four feet tall, then train it over a gridwork. Smaller than Disney's; but hey, I am not a professional! (04/11/2008)

By Jilson

Making Your Own Hanging Tomato Baskets

I got an advertisement for a gardening magazine showing tomatoes growing out of the bottom of a cat litter plastic tub so I guess you could use anything as long as it was strong enough to hold up to the weight of the plant and water. (04/11/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Making Your Own Hanging Tomato Baskets

Try using a coconut lined hanging basket. I read this somewhere and am going to give it a try. Good luck! (04/14/2008)

By fivesonmom

Making Your Own Hanging Tomato Baskets

My son just sent me a photo of how he is growing a couple of tomato plants on his patio. You water and fertilize from the top. See photo. (04/14/2008)

By Lula

RE: Making Your Own Hanging Tomato Baskets

Making Your Own Hanging Tomato Baskets

I made them out of five gallon buckets and it worked really well. (04/17/2008)

Making Your Own Hanging Tomato Baskets

I am in the same situation I bought 8 tomato plants and 8 pepper plants. I've decided to get milk jugs, cut only a small part of the top off leaving the handle, and cut a hole in the bottom, I'll cut some newspaper to fit in th bottom, slit it so I can put the tomato plant in the bottom, and a pepper plant in the top. now where to hang them? Oh and I will use a good brand of potting soil that will retain moisture. (05/03/2008)

By Sharon

Making Your Own Hanging Tomato Baskets

Yes, if you look on website, you will find you can create your own baskets from a typical cocoa liner one. Just cut an x in the bottom of the basket and push your tomato through the hole upside down, fill the top with dirt. WalMart has doubles for 4 bucks. I'm trying it this year, I'll let you know what happens.

email me stu30kat AT msn.com and I'll let you know. (05/04/2008)

By Kaite

Making Your Own Hanging Tomato Baskets

Here is a picture of one of my tomato plants in a gallon milk jug. I have a squash plant in top of this container, and plan to let it grow over the top of my trellis!, I also have bell pepper plants, marigolds, and an eggplant plant! I am enjoying my hanging garden sooo much, I added more. lol

Sharon (05/31/2008)

By skayc1

Making Your Own Hanging Tomato Baskets

I made a trellis out of PVC piping for the plants to hang from since I didn't have anything for them to hang from and even added hummingbird feeders. The squash will grow across the top of the trellis! (05/31/2008)

By skayc1

Making Your Own Hanging Tomato Baskets

I don't have a picture, but I made my own hanging planter using a 5-gallon bucket. Most of these buckets already have a circle on the bottom (about 2 inches diameter) which you would cut out. The bucket gets filled with dirt and a tomato seedling planted in the hole in the bottom. I placed a coffee filter around the base of the seedling and before I added the dirt so it didn't slip out of the hole.

I particularly like this method for a couple reasons. First, the bucket already has a big handle to hang it. Second, if you are growing it indoors and want to make sure bugs aren't living in the dirt, you can just keep the lid on. I drilled a small hole in the lid to water the tomato but kept that hole taped over. Finally, to enhance your planter and get the most out of it, you can plant herbs or other flowers on the top of the bucket instead of placing the lid on top. (08/25/2008)

By Sully