Growing Vegetables in an Apartment

I wanted to grow some veggies in my basement apartment. I was thinking tomatoes. But not sure if there is anything else that is a good veggie. I have two windows that get pretty good sun. They are also deep so I can always sit a pot in them. Any suggestions as to how to go about doing this, or if it will work, or what to grow?

Thanks,
Raylene from Toronto Ontario

Answers:

Growing Vegetables in an Apartment

Since you have two nice, sunny windows, why not put tomatoes in one and peppers in the other? Black plastic both under and around the pots and on top around, the soil will give you more heat, which both need, especially at your latitude. I've had good luck in semi-sunny windows with lettuce, green onions, and Swiss chard. That is so cool that you are growing your own in an apartment! You're a true thrift-monger!

Be sure to feed well, since the pot limits root access to nutrients. Have you considered one of those cute little worm factories? You can use both the worm castings and the liquid run-off to raise chemical-free veggies, and even sell the worms or use them yourself for fishing. I'm told bass go nuts for them. A bit expensive to start off, but I would guess you'd get payback in about a year. In the meantime, the little red worms will eat all your trimmings, leftovers, etc. Just look in nursery catalogs for sources. (02/17/2007)

By coreenhart

Growing Vegetables in an Apartment

I grew 4 big tomato plants in an apartment south window years ago. They grew and grew but I never got tomatoes. After I threw them out, my neighbor the gardener told me I should've used a feather to pollinate them. Good luck to you, and many juicy tomatoes. (02/19/2007)

By jantoo

Growing Vegetables in an Apartment
Composting
Composting in an Apartment
Inexpensive Couch
Inexpensive Furnishings for a Temporary Apartment
An street with an "Apartment For Rent" sign.
Renting an Apartment
Veggie seeds.
Growing Vegetables from Seeds
🎄