Growing Wheat Under Artificial Light

Category Indoor
Wheat can be sprouted and grown under artificial light. This is a guide about growing wheat under artificial light.

Can we grow wheat using artificial light?

Best Answer

I guess my first question would be why? Or what do you intend to use it for?

I guess the reason I ask is because I grow wheatgrass and oat grass indoors for my cat and that is very simple - even without any type of lamp light.

The next thing is how much will you be growing? Lighting fixtures can be expensive unless you will have other uses for these lights.

There are several different types of artificial lighting and each one emits different light intensity and different colors (grow lights) are for different types of plants.

Here is some interesting tidbits from our local University of Florida Ag department:

A T5 fluorescent light system will put out almost twice the light as a standard T12 fluorescent. Again, positioning fluorescents close to your plants and using reflective materials to corral light in your grow area will greatly improve results. Because they put out little heat, theyre great for warm grow spaces, such as attics, especially if youre putting your lamps very close to your plants.

Also:

Assuming the use of efficient red-blue LEDs at $0.10 per kilowatt-hour, production alone would cost about $327 (£223) per square metre per year. If turned into bread it would cost $11 per loaf of bread to cover the lighting cost.

Maybe you have been given enough information (by other posters) that you can decide if this project is for you.

This forum talks all about indoor crops, including wheat. http://www.mine  row-crops-inside

To what stage of growth? I have grown it before for chickens when growing fodder, under a grow light in the garage, but only to about day 6 after germination.

with plants, you probably want to buy at least natural light, if not specifically garden lights. These are, of course, articifial lights, but they emit light at the appropriate frequency to stimulate plant growth. Under normal fluorescent lights I'm not sure they'll do that brilliantly