Cleaning Artificial Plants

They may not need light and water, but artificial plants do require regular cleaning to look their best. This is a guide about cleaning artificial plants.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

To clean artificial flowers, pour some salt into a paper bag and add the flowers. Shake vigorously as the salt will absorb all the dust and dirt and leave your artificial flowers looking like new! Works like a charm!

By Jodi from Aurora, CO

You may think this sounds strange, but it works. I have mostly fresh green plants in my large front window in my home. But, I like the look of plants, so I decorate other areas with artificial flowers and plants. They only bad thing is, they get dusty. And then they look horrible when dusty.

About every 6 months, "it's bath time" Yes, bath time!

I bring all my artificial plants and flowers to the bathroom floor, I fill my bathtub with about 4 inches of warm water and 3 capfuls of Downy or Snuggle. Mix it around. First I do the silk flowers, I try to hold as many as possible of the stems in my hand, holding the stems, I take them turn them upside down and gently swish the flowers and leaves around in the water. This shakes off the dusty and revitalizes the brightness to their color again. Do this for only about 15 seconds. Take them out and lie them nicely on a thick bath towel. Spread them out until they dry.

For the potted plants, if the plant stems can be removed, do so and repeat what I did above. If the plant stems are glued it to the pot, take the pot, turn it upside down, only getting the leaves or flowers wet (not the artificial soil) holding the pot, and now swish the leaves and/or flowers for about 15 seconds and then keep the plant upside down on the towel, you may have to lean it against a door or cabinet so it does not fall over until the wetness dries.

This works, and leaves your plants and flowers not only dust free but a nice fresh smell that last for quite a while. I have been doing this for quite some time and most likely years, to these same plants. And they don't seem to mind. Try it, you will like it!

I spray Febreze generously onto the whole flower/foliage arrangement, tree, etc. This works just as well as commerical cleaners made specifically for silk flowers. Just spray, no wiping necessary. And you can choose the scent (or no scent) of your choice.

I take my silk plants into the shower and rinse them off while I shower. Most silks these days are polyester. I then lay them upside down for the water to drain out and air dry them. No special cleaner is needed. I have been a professional floral designer and we just hosed them off!

Source: Artificial Plant Cleaner

Buy some cheap furniture polish and spray your silks with it. I sprayed mine over the dust and all and they now look great.

I have large arrangements also and others are up above the kitchen cabinets. By spraying them with furniture polish and walking away, looking at them 8 to 10 hours later, they looked fantastic!

I got this idea from ThriftyFun a while back. Try it, you will love it and will be telling others about this tip just like I am. Good luck!

Source: Cleaning Artificial Plants

Due to health problems this year, my spring cleaning is also going to entail an attempt to remove quite a bit of dust and grease 'gunk' from some artificial plants which I have in my bedroom and above kitchen cabinets. (No, I don't want to get rid of them)

I was thinking of spraying on a diluted Dawn mixture, then taking them outside and hosing them off, but also wondered if anyone in the wonderful ThriftyFun community has a better or easier way to accomplish this yucky task? The arrangements are too large to do the garbage bag/salt idea. Thank you in advance for any info you can give me; hopefully next year they won't be as bad.

By Marilyn from Orlando, FL

Answers

Best Answer

I have both plastic and silk artificial flowers which I clean quite easily by swooshing them around in a bucket or basin of water and washing up liquid. I use fairy since dawn isn't available here. Then I leave them outside, if possible, to dry in the sun. Have had them for years and they still look great!

Best Answer

Do not try to put permanent flower arrangements in a bag with salt and shake them to clean them. That process is for individual stems of flowers. It would beat the arrangement in to an unrecognizable mess.

Polyester silk flowers can be cleaned with a mild detergent and water but again that is mostly used for individual flowers, not arrangements. Only assembly line manufactured arrangements like foliage designs will take the abuse, without ruining the arrangement.

You can wipe down the individual flowers in the arrangement flower by flower. Then rinse, carefully, to restore the original look of the design. Design Masters aerosol silk flower cleaner will do the trick if used regularly but try not to let the grease or grime build up.

I am a professional florist with over 45 years of experience, and this is the method we ask our clients to employ to keep their silk arrangements fresh and looking their best.

I am looking for a homemade recipe for cleaning artificial plants. I know one of the ingredients is liquid fabric softener. Does anyone know about this recipe?

Jeri from Indiana

Answers

Best Answer

I know you can dust silk flowers/ leaves by placing salt or rice in a brown paper bag, add silk flowers and shake.

Best Answer

On artifical plants and silk flowers I just use sudsy ammonia and water, and dip them in, rinse them off with clean water, air dry them and they are sparkling clean...

Faux trees can collect a lot of dust on their leaves that requires cleaning. This is a guide about cleaning artificial trees.

Artificial Tree

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing smoke odor from artificial plants. Smoke from a house fire or cigarettes can leave an odor on your artificial plants.

Removing Smoke Odor from Artificial Plants

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning artificial flowers. Artificial flowers can become dusty or dingy over time.

Cleaning Artificial Flowers

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about cleaning silk flowers, swags and wreaths. Dusty artificial flowers and greenery need special care when removing the dirt.

Silk flowers.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes
Load More