Cleaning Artificial Plants

Due to health problems this year, my spring cleaning is also going to entail an attempt to remove quite a bit of dust and grease 'gunk' from some artificial plants which I have in my bedroom and above kitchen cabinets. (No, I don't want to get rid of them)

I was thinking of spraying on a diluted Dawn mixture, then taking them outside and hosing them off, but also wondered if anyone in the wonderful ThriftyFun community has a better or easier way to accomplish this yucky task? The arrangements are too large to do the garbage bag/salt idea. Thank you in advance for any info you can give me; hopefully next year they won't be as bad.

By Marilyn from Orlando, FL

Best Answer

I have both plastic and silk artificial flowers which I clean quite easily by swooshing them around in a bucket or basin of water and washing up liquid. I use fairy since dawn isn't available here. Then I leave them outside, if possible, to dry in the sun. Have had them for years and they still look great!

How do I clean an 8ft artificial tree

Best Answer

Do not try to put permanent flower arrangements in a bag with salt and shake them to clean them. That process is for individual stems of flowers. It would beat the arrangement in to an unrecognizable mess.

Polyester silk flowers can be cleaned with a mild detergent and water but again that is mostly used for individual flowers, not arrangements. Only assembly line manufactured arrangements like foliage designs will take the abuse, without ruining the arrangement.

You can wipe down the individual flowers in the arrangement flower by flower. Then rinse, carefully, to restore the original look of the design. Design Masters aerosol silk flower cleaner will do the trick if used regularly but try not to let the grease or grime build up.

I am a professional florist with over 45 years of experience, and this is the method we ask our clients to employ to keep their silk arrangements fresh and looking their best.

Could you please tell me the best and most economical way to clean my artificial plants?

Thank you,
Karen Morse

Thanks to all of you who posted in response to my inquiry. I'm guessing that the 409 will work for the kitchen plants (grease, yuck), and then 'swooshing' for the others!

I am wondering if the spray used on crystal chandeliers might help. Not particularly thrifty, but if you are having difficulties cleansing a plant, it might be beneficial.

Anonymous

Been doing just what you suggested for the last 20 years or more. I just let them dry outside in a matter of an hour or so. They look just like new.

Anonymous

I've taken all my silk plants out on my deck and sprayed with a dawn, water and vinegar mix then hosed them with the garden hose. It was warm and sunny that day...left them on the deck to dry. Worked great!