Hair Washing Tips and Tricks

Category Washing
Keeping your hair healthy and manageable begins with shampooing. This is a guide about hair washing tips and tricks.

After much displeasure with my hair, and after trying all the suggestions I received from friends and family, I decided that maybe my hair needed a change of shampoo. I found that by changing my shampoo every month or so, my hair was much more manageable. You may want to give a try. It worked for me.

By Mary from Traverse City, MI

It is a good idea so you get rid of build-up from one shampoo. They all have different ingredients so it is good to switch. Either that or use a clarifier.

If you wash your hair more than once a week, save on shampoo and only shampoo once. Just scrub a little longer with the one shampoo.

If your hair is oily, add a capful of rubbing alcohol to your shampoo to cut the oil.

Take it from an old beautician, it has worked for 40 years.

Source: Learned it in beauty school.

By latrtatr from LC.NE

Thank you! My husband, son, and daughter have oily hair!

How many times do you need to wash your hair with baking soda before all the hairspray residue is gone? I've washed it 3 times now and there is still some there, (my hair has been suffering with hairspray residue for over 12 months).

I've had to buy some Aussie Miracle Treatment conditioner, because the baking soda dried my hair out terribly. If you add some baking soda to hot water and soak your brushes, you can watch all the hairspray bubble. Yuk.

By Nutttytart from Doncaster

I've never heard of this, but it makes me really glad that I don't use that stuff!

I have found that Dawn is great for removing hair spray. When I overdo the hair spray, I use a little Dawn first, rinse, then use my regular shampoo and conditioner. Works great.

Anonymous

No offense but what the heck kind of hairspray and how much are you using and how often do you normally shampoo your hair?

I was a hairstylist for thirty years (as were both my parents) and I never saw the kind of build up, that won't go away in over a year, on a clients hair like you're talking about here except for clients who only washed their hair every week or two and overly used strong hold hairspray every single day :-o

Just use a strong non-moisturizing shampoo, scrub well, rinse, condition (don't rinse), start combing with a very fine tooth comb (start from bottom and work up to scalp), keep combing and rinse comb often. Shampoo again, rinse, condition, rinse and style. You may need to do this a few times before all the residue is gone but it should be gone after a week or two.

You need to change your habits and switch to a mild or medium hold hairspray. When it comes to hairspray think the adage 'less is more' and just don't use so much and not more than a time or two a day. You don't need to be a helmet head to have a nice and pretty style ;-) And be sure to wash and style your hair more often, too!

As a licensed cosmetologist I recommend baking soda and dawn, in paste form. Every week until all residue is gone then every 3 months for maintenance. If you have naturally oily hair I also recommend tree tea shampoo once a week to control build up, My favorite moisturizing shampoo is Moisture Maniac by BEd head. Avoid buying it at drug stores and such go to a salon and buy it there. I know most walmart salons carry it. You can sometimes get ans liter of shampoo and conditioner for 20.00 cheap you do not have to use as much because it is professional it should be your everyday shampoo to keep your dry from drying out. Lastly I would recommend a light hold hairspray such as Paul Mitchell's work it out.

Another avenue would be to use a good clarifying shampoo Sally's Beauty can help you with that. it is always good to deep clean your hair ever so often to get minerals from hard water out, build up from hair care products.

Everyone's hair is different, but here's my routine. I use hair gel and hair spray every day. I also wash my hair every day, using a mild shampoo for "normal" hair. I use a small amount of shampoo, work it through, then rinse it out. Next, I dissolve a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a cup of water, pour it over my hair, and work it through. Last, I use another small amount of shampoo, work it through, and rinse well. That gets my hair squeaky-clean.

When I frosted my hair, it felt sort of "strawlike" after this, so I added an extra step of 1 part white vinegar to 4 parts water to achieve that squeaky-clean and "smooth" hair feel (and perhaps return some of the acid-alkaline balance to my hair). I did not rinse this out. After drying, my hair did not smell like vinegar and it was very soft and silky.

Dottie

if i remember right i used to used borax build up of lacquer in the hair gone in one. bicarbonate of soda is no good.