Hard Water Spots on Windows

How do I get hard water stains off a window? The sprinklers hit it and there is a mark.

Karen from Florida

I just used the pure vinegar on my windows and it worked great! I have been living here, in the Twin Cities area, for two years with cloudy, water spotted windows. Thank you for the tip!

By Michelle

Colgate Toothpaste

I just tried Colgate toothpaste (the white kind) and it worked great. Squeeze a little on a paper towel and add a little water. Apply it as if you were waxing a car. Then clean it off with window cleaner. Perfect results.

By Chris

Try Bring-It-ON water spot remover. It's a paste that you wipe on, leave on for a few minutes to dissolve the minerals, and wipe off. Invented by a gal that got tired of trying things that didn't work!

By donrowlett

Tekon "b"

I called my brother that works in a glass shop and he told me to use Tekon "b." I tried it on my glass windows and it removes the waters spots, and the windows look good. It's supposed to last over a year without reapplying. I swear this product is good. It works like a charm. I lightly clean the windows with a mix of 1 part rubbing alcohol and 4 parts water for maintenance.

By Sandy

"Hot Sauce"

We use this stuff that we use on our boat, it's called "Hot Sauce." It's kind of expensive, but worth it. Not one window or shower door has hard water spots. It's also meant for fiberglass, so it won't damage your showers.

By Amy S

Glass Stove Top Cleaner

I used glass stove-top cleaner. It worked great.

By Linda

I live in Las Vegas, NV and the water here is very hard. The sprinklers had sprayed my brand new sliding doors and the water spots covered the complete bottom areas of both doors. I read this page and decided on the vinegar w/water solution. Together with a Magic eraser and scrubbing, the spots were gone! Amazing something so simple! I had tried Windex, shower cleaner, and nothing. It did take a couple of applications of the vinegar solution, but it was well worth it! Happy cleaning.

By Carlota

Stove Top Cleaner and a Brillo Pad

I used glass oven top cleaner and a Brillo pad. Wish I had known about this trick a long time ago.

By Ted

I work on a private yacht, therefore spots are a common thing with all the salt water/negligent crew previous to me. Obviously the darn thing has to look perfect so here's my secret:

Use Whink. I put some on a rag and rub it in a circular motion on a 12" by 12" square. I rinse and soap once a square is done and keep going. It's important to rub it good so it looks even because at first whink will sort of stain the window, so rub in well until it looks even (elbow grease needed here). Once the whole window is done, soap it again, dry and put two coats of rain x on it.

By David

Vinegar Worked

Tried elbow grease, various window cleaners to no avail. Used full strength white vinegar and they were instantly gone.

By ESL Barbara

"SCOTCH BRITE Cook Top Cleaner."

My wife recently (April 2010) bought a box (about the size of a milk carton) of a product called "SCOTCH BRITE Cook Top Cleaner." It consists of a pad with an ergonomic handle and 6 pre-moistened pads that attach to the bottom surface of the pad, almost like Velcro. But you can use both sides of each pad. And you'll find they go a long way.

Here's the process:
1) Clean the window with regular window cleaner to get regular surface dirt off.
2) Apply the SB Cook Top Cleaner using the provided handle. You'll have to apply some elbow grease, but not nearly as much as the steel wool technique requires. It has a flat pad, so it works great on house windows but I believe it will work on curved car windshields as well.
3) The SB pads leaves an oily film behind, so you'll need to clean your windows a second time to remove that film.

By recrem

Hard Water Spots on Windows
Removing Hard Water Spots on Windows
Kitchen With Granite Countertops
Removing Hard Water Spots on Granite Countertops
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener