Hearing Aids for Low Income Seniors

A senior man wearing a hearing aid.
When you no longer hear clearly, communication can be a challenge. Hearing aids can be expensive and not the priority it should be. This guide is about hearing aids for low income seniors.

My mom is 77 and is on small fixed income and she needs new dentures and hearing aids are there any grants out there for her?

By John W from St. Paul, MN

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Check with your Department of Social Services and see if they know of any available help for your Mom. They also have a section in their office called Adult Services for Aging. I'm familiar with that because I am 71. They also help with homemaker services. I know here in SD, there is a department that helps people with dentures. I have a friend who got new dentures through them about a year ago, but I can't contact her right now, every now and then she becomes incommunicado, she does this once in awhile, when she wants to get away from everything. Also check with your Easter Seal Office(the one in your area.) I know at one time people could donate hearing aids to them and they would be refurbished and in turn loaned/given out. They weren't the real fancy little ones, but they did work.

You could also check at whatever hospital your mom does business with. Sometimes the Social Workers, or Case Managers will help people with programs such as those, even if they are not current patients.

That is how I found out that my mom qualified for a certain type of Medicaid that helps pay for her medications. She only has to pay about $3-$10 for each one.

Hope you find something that will help your mom!

Definitely check with State agencies, I know that in Oklahoma, the State will cover the cost of hearing aids twice in the person's lifetime. My state has no such law, but who knows what you may find. I'd also call doctor's offices, audiologists, etc, since they may be aware of where to call for info.

You could check with your local Lions Club.

The Lions Club only helps with eye glasses.

http://www.dhs.  ocName=id_006271

http://www.heal  care-plans/msho/

Check these out, they help with situations like this. :)

Best of Luck

Regina

My husband's parents are 89 and 90 years old and badly in need of hearing aids. They are on a low income ($1000.00 a month). We tried the American Legion with no response and Medicare does not cover them. Our question is, does anyone have any other suggestions? Please reply if you know someone we could contact. Thank you for your concern.

By Helen R

Easter Seals used to do this, I don't know if they still do. When they do have hearing aids that people can get, most of the time they aren't the fancy little ones that are popular now. These are larger ones that people have donated, and they have been refurbished. Call an Easter Seals office in your area and ask about this.

You can go to Radioshack or any electronics store such as that and get an electronic earpiece. My boyfriend has one. He can now hear someone whisper on the other side of the room, before he turned the tv up so loud that no one could stand to be in the room with him watching tv. It looks like a blue tooth for a cell phone. He said it cost him about $20. It will fit either ear.

AARP has a hearing care program with hearusa a 20% member discount. It depends on the state that they live in if available. Hope this helps.

I was wondering if anyone knows of places that might provide help for seniors with hearing aides? I have profound hearing lost, but hearing aides only last 4 years. Any help appreciated.

By Betty from Ashville, AL

I only know of how you can get a discount on hearing services and hearing aides. Also you may check with the Lions Club in your city.

You might check out this article:

http://www.hear  aulas-110601.htm

Here are the links to those that were wrong/missing:

http://www.nlfo  .org/hearing.php

http://www.reha  ervices/VRS/Main

http://www.soth  ear.org/hearnow/

Best of luck to you!

See if there is a college that has a Speech and Language Pathology Department in your area. They also deal with hearing problems, and by law must have a degreed Audiologist on staff. Often the Audiologist will fit individuals needing a hearing aid at or near cost. Someone there will also give you a current hearing test and adjust the aid as many times as needed. It may take a little longer since it is a teaching school, but you will be treated royally and save lots of money.