Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

I can't find info anywhere explaining if you have to cut open the hedge apple to use it to repel spiders.

Judy

Answers:

Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

You don't cut it. Just put it on a piece of tin foil. I put mine under the kitchen sink and in corner where my dogs won't get at it. It will shrink down to a walnut size. It doesn't seem to get moldy or anything. It works for spiders in my house. (11/27/2009)

By raspet

Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

For a pretty good amount of info about hedge apples try Iowa State University College of Agriculture: search hedge apples or Osage orange.

Are you afraid of spiders, if so disregard this comment. Spider are useful insects and generally harmless. They produce a fantastic beautiful web that a lot of photographers like to take pictures of especially when loaded with early morn dew. A few are poisonous, but left alone hardly ever harm you. (12/03/2009)

By Rubber Arm

Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

They also work good in my house keeping spiders out! I just set them around in those plastic disposable bowls. No need to cut them open! (12/04/2009)

By Mary Moo

Hedge Apples Repel Spiders

Did they draw gnats in your home? I am horrified of spiders. Twice a year we have our house sprayed. I have read about using hedge apples so I decided to try them this year. I asked my friend, a wise old gal, and she said, "Yes, they repel spiders, but they draw gnats!" Since I am not afraid of gnats, I opted for the hedge apples. Am I ever sorry! I gathered the hedge apples up and trashed them, with a buzzing cloud of gnats surrounding me. Tonight I will put apple cider vinegar out, hoping to get rid of the gnats. (11/13/2010)

By kerly87

Whole and sliced Hedge Apples (Maclura pomifera) also known as Osage Oranges against a white background
Using Hedge Apples to Repel Spiders
Pruning a Hedge
Pruning a Hedge
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
🎄