Help With a Lost USPS Package

How do you find a lost package that was mailed in the postal system? I lost my receipt and the Post Office says they can't trace a package without the tracking number. What can I do?

By Jewell from Hesperia, CA

Answers:

Help With a Lost USPS Package

I don't think you can do anything. I mailed an Ipod to my son in Afghanistan and insured it. It was his Christmas gift for his first Christmas away from home and first in the army. Anyway, when he didn't get it I filed a claim and had all the paper work. Their response was that they delivered it to the base so their responsibility was over. It did no good to insure it. I will never send anything by USPS if I must be sure it gets there. I hope you have better luck than I did. (02/26/2010)

By Glenn'sMom

Help With a Lost USPS Package

They may not be able to track the package, but they can look for it, even if a package isn't insured.

If your local post office doesn't know how to do this, ask at another post office, or else call the USPS toll-free number at (http://www.usps.com). If you call the number, you'll have to go through a lot of automated junk to get to a real, live human.

There are no guarantee they'll find the package, but most things that are lost end up in the dead-letter office. So if you provide other info (sender/addressee addresses, description of package, etc.), they might be able to find it in the unclaimed packages.

For future reference, you might want to e-mail yourself the tracking number in the future, so that if you do lose the receipt, at least you'll have a number to work with. (02/27/2010)

By WildIrish

Help With a Lost USPS Package

Did you pay for it with a credit card? Maybe the credit card company has information on the receipt in their system. (02/27/2010)

By Amy3e

Help With a Lost USPS Package

Well, I would go back to the company that you ordered the product from and ask if they have the shipping numbers. If they say no ask for the supervisor and try again. If you order and paid with your credit card you may want to dispute the charges. (02/28/2010)

By foxrun41

Help With a Lost USPS Package

Keep after them. Call the post office that serves the area where the package was delivered. There is also a main post office number for the US. It is the 800 number directory assistance gives you. The post office that serves the area where you sent the package does not want a complaint filed against them. They will look harder to find the package. It took them 30 days to find one they lost that I sent and it was beat up when they did, but they found it because I did not give up. (03/02/2010)

By Ann

lost package
Post Office Lost a Package
Finding a Lost Relative, Genealogy Study
Finding a Lost Relative
bacon in a package
Freezing Bacon
A girl who can't find her parents.
Teaching a Child What to Do if They are Lost
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
🎉
🎄