Post Office Lost a Package

Sometimes a package or letter sent via the post office doesn't reach its destination. When this happens, there are some steps you can take to try and get help tracking it down. This is a guide about post office lost a package.

I just want to ask about my parcel that was sent on 9 Jan 2014 to Scotland. The post office in Singapore said that it would take 4 to 6 working days to arrive. When I talked to my boyfriend in Scotland, he still hadn't received the parcel.

I'm just wondering whether the parcel was stolen, lost, or it is only delayed. What should I do? I want him to recieve the parcel as I sent a watch over there.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to see your replies.

By Mylene S. from Singapore

Answers

Best Answer

I live in NE Scotland between Dundee and Aberdeen. What class did you send the parcel by? I had 2nd class parcels arrive very late (from Hong Kong, although two others arrived well ahead of estimated delivery date), and one was even lost - it never showed up even though it was shipped from southern England.

I love the UK and I really love Scotland but the plain fact is Royal Mail has been increasingly rubbish the past - very arbitrary as to whether or not the parcel arrives on schedule. Sad to say but quite true.

Post is running several days behind up here in Scotland no matter where in Scotland the parcel has been sent to. Give it another ten working days and then see if your local postal service can track it.

On December 12 of 2016 I sent a brand new laptop to my mom on the Virgin Islands and the postal office told me that it was going to arrive in two weeks. I never had problems with anything I shipped before so I didn't get insurance for it. Almost a month later she told me that it didn't arrive. I lost the receipt. About a week later I got an envelope with part of the box (where the tracking number is) and an application for refund of fees, products, and withdrawal of customer accounts. I checked the tracking number and it shows this:

December 14, 2016 , 12:22 am
In Transit to Destination
The item is currently in transit to the destination as of December 14, 2016 at 12:22 am.

December 13, 2016 , 4:03 am
Departed USPS Facility
TULSA, OK 74141

December 13, 2016 , 12:22 am
Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
TULSA, OK 74141

December 12, 2016, 2:11 pm
Acceptance

Is there anyway that I can get it back or get the money back?

Answers

Mailing any thing outside of the continental US is simply taking a chance; prior success is no guarantee. If you did not insure your package, the USPO will not do much, if anything, for you.

My friend from South Carolina (USA) sent a package on October 20th consisting of an iPhone. He sent me a reference number (Customs#), using that we are unable to track it online (in USPS and in IPS). My friend spoke with Customs in Miami, they said the package left the USA and indeed they also were unable to track it. I'm little worried, whether the package will reach India and get to my place, or it will be lost on the way to India.

Since it's been more than 2 months and I'm unable to track it anywhere (with Customs in India and local Post Office). Kindly assist on how to find or track the package, your reply will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Answers

Only the post office can assist with that. It could have been stolen or lost along the route.. Was it insured?? was your name and address also on the inside of the package as recommended?

I have ordered a few things from different places. Some have made it to me, but for some, the tracking info says they are in Houston, but doesn't give me any more info than that. What can I do to find out where exactly my packages are?

By Cora S.

Answers

You should contact the company you used to send the packages-USPO, UPS, Fed Ex, etc., to locate the packages.

My error-you should contact the sender of the packages.

I had ordered from the Kylie constructs website almost 2 months ago. Still no delivery. Yes they do ship to India. It is coming from USPS and the tracking number starts with LN. Many people from Bombay Delhi have already received their packages. I live in Bangalore and it's been beyond the time limit. It's a reputed website and I could track my product till it left the USA. Is there a chance of it being misplaced?

I sent out the package on 2/28/11, but today is 3/29/11 and my friend still did not receive it yet? I filed a complaint to USPS. They said that there is nothing they can do, because the package was out using flat rate first class. They didn't sell me the insurance and confirmation for tracking. What should I do?

By yoyo from CA

Answers

They don't automatically sell you insurance when you mail a package. You have to tell them you want it insured for the value of the items in the package. I don't know what you can do, but I do know when you want a package insured you have to ask for it, and if you want a tracking number or something like that you also have ask for certain types of shipping.

There is nothing more to be done. Just hope that it may turn up at some point. I worked with the USPs for a while during Christmas and was surprised at the number of packages that came through with poor address labels that fell off or poorly packaged boxes that fell apart. None of these packages could be delivered. Not saying this was your case but mailing letters or packages one should always ASK for insurance and registered. That way the package can be traced and the recipient will sign for the package and a receipt will be forwarded to you.

I learned the hard way when dealing with USPS. Always, get insurance, delivery confirmation or the service that will give you tracking numbers. I prefer that because you can track the progress online.

I sent a scarce 1795 silver U. S. half-dollar to ANACS in CO. to be graded on March 10th insured for $1K and w/delivery confirmation. Tracking revealed it got to the sort center in Kent, WA. and no further. I'd much rather have the coin back, but I put in a claim as it's been over a month and no further movement or action has been noted. Someone I know who works for USPS strongly suspects it was "pilfered" (stolen) by some USPS employee at the sort center.

This company is the worst. Try a different company.

My sister sent a priority mail containing an international passport to me from another state. We tracked it and showed that it was scanned into my mail box, but I didn't find it in my box. I've complained to the USPS, they promised to investigate, but I've yet to hear any positive news about it from them.
Please what steps can be taken to get the mail because it takes a fortune to replace the passport.
Regards.

My friend from Oregon, USA sent me a gift through USPS. The package was sent to me on April 26,2016. The company said that the package would be delivered to me in 5-10 days, but as of now it has not been delivered. How can I get the package?

Should I trust the kiosk as much as I do the postal clerks? I have never needed to track a package until a postal worker asked if I would like help using the kiosk. The pkg. didn't arrive. I'm very leery about using it again.

By Maureen M

My sister sent me $100 throught the mail in a card. I have not received it yet. What should I do?

By Cynthia

I sent a small Flat Rate box to someone in California on 4/16. I dropped it like I always have in the drop box inside the post office. As of today 4/30 the post office still hasn't scanned the package. I went back to the post office and they weren't helpful. The supervisor was "surprised" the package hasn't been scanned and they said they didn't have it. What do I do?

Long story short I have someone who sends me beads to make up and I send them back to her. She has never asked me to insure it for a certain amount, but I insure for $30.00. When she called me about not receiving the package she was upset saying it was worth more. I need to find this package. Any ideas?

By Marie S.

Answers

If you made your own label online at USPS, you have a number for the box, if you did not print out a label for yourself but have an account with USPS go to that to get the number, contact the USPS with that number and they will search for you.

I mail many packages. We have found that sometimes the post office thru human error misses scaning a package now and then. Our suggestion is to go back to the post office, with a friendly attitude, fine a clerk that is willing to help and discuss your problem. Your insurance number should be of assistance. We never use insurance. We use tracking numbers...can be purchased, with online shipping, or in person at post office for Fifty Cents. Also Keep in mind your package could be still at your post office or setting at destination post office. Good luck

Speak with the manager of the post office. Bring duplicates of all documentation.
Good luck!

Hi - I hope your package has been delivered but in case it has not - here are some questions/comments.
It appears that you are printing on line as you say that you "dropped" it in the drop at the post office.

If that is the case then you have good records of printing the label but unfortunately you do not have a record of the package ever reaching the post office.
This always presents a problem as your insurance may not cover this parcel at all. How could the post office pay insurance if they have no record of the package ever being in their system? (That could be a recipe for many, many scams of the post office system.)

Truthfully, the post office does not lose very much mail especially considering the amount that passes through their system each day.

Maybe you could try letting your postman pick up your packages in the future?
Your carrier will scan your package when he picks it up and you can check on your item the same evening or next day. This works great for me - I just place packages on my porch and leave my carrier a note as to where packages are located. Never had a problem in over 3 years.
This may not be possible everywhere but why not give it a try? If there is problem with this then you can call for a pickup (24 hour notice I think). They will pick up even one package if it is priority mail. But - carrier is still best idea if possible.
I hope you have good luck with this one but maybe try something better in the future.
Good luck..

I sent 2.5 oz of pure .9999 gold in a cash4gold envelop. It had delivery conformation on it, and I told the postal employee that I did not feel comfortable dropping it in a mail box. I told the clerk that it was $4,000 worth of gold and he offered me insurance that I could not afford at the time.

The tracking number shows that the package was accepted at the Woburn, MA facility on August 30th at 10:49 am and that is the last update. The worst thing is the gold is my father in-law's. What can I do? I started a claim and that doesn't sound too promising at this point.

By Sam

Answers

I am so sorry to hear that. Looks like you are not alone. You might check out this article below. I have seen several stories on the news about various cash for gold sites and how they rip you off.. even if you do end up getting your money you are grossly underpaid.

http://consumer  ld-employee.html

http://www.wptv  lost-in-mail.%22

http://www.comp  thing=Everything

I saw another article that said Cash4Gold was trying to clean up their image and was approaching online complaints on how they could make it right. So post your story on any review site/complaint board. At the very least you will warn others to stay away from these places. Good Luck to you~

My daughter is away at school and recently her mail and packages stopped coming. She called the 800 number for the USPS in her city and they began an investigation and gave her a case number. One of the packages that I mailed her two weeks earlier finally showed up after she made the phone call, so obviously it did some good to call. I would highly recommend doing this. It certainly can't hurt anything and the package may turn up.

Hi, you may get some help if you call the Postal Inspection Service. They do investigate things like this.
Good luck.
(Always insure or do not mail!)

Have him go to the post office where it was delivered. It is possible that the envelope was damaged and the contents were separated. Being that it was gold it's possible that it was taken by an employee, janitor, etc. But most post offices keep envelopes and boxes full of damaged mail and its contents. A few months ago I received an empty envelope and when I went to the post office, they were able to find most of the contents. You might also fill out a police report, though I don't know if it would do any good.

I sent a Kindle by Parcel Select through the U. S Postal Service, July 21 with a return label and tracking label. They have not received the Kindle and are now trying to charge me. What can I do?

By Philip

Answers

Have you used the tracking number to check the status? And did you insure the package?

Always insure anything that's valuable (plus track it) when you send by USPS. If you sold this on ebay or some selling site, be aware that buyers sometimes say they "didn't get it" as a sort of scam to get something for "free". (They really received it, but thinking they didn't and not wanting bad feedback, you refund their $$). FYI on that. I wouldn't hugely trust a company either (mainly their employees), so if you bought it and were returning it, you should always insure and track or send it certified mail with return receipt (receipt comes back to you) so they have to sign for it when it's delivered. Good luck, I hope it works out.

If you sent a package with a tracking label via USPS then they gave you a tracking stub with your receipt. On the stub are the directions for the website to visit or the phone number to call. Then use the tracking number to determine the packages location. IF you lost that stub but still have the receipt for the postage I believe the tracking number is printed on the receipt as well. Just go to USPS.com and use the number on the receipt.

Once you find out where the package is you can notify the buyer and inform them of it's last known location.

I am not to familiar with the Return label, you can look that up on the USPS site as well probably or go by the post office and ask.

Hi.. Parcel select is the slow boat method. It hasn't had full time to get there. Give it a good two weeks. Hope this helps. Cindy

I made an online purchase from the US using USPS first class mail. The package was dispatched from Chicago on the 23rd of September 2016 and is still not delivered after 40 days. The tracking number only works till it leaves the US. I inquired and found that the package cannot be tracked in India. What can I do to find the package? It's a small package valued at $33 dollars and it does not contain any prohibited items. Has anybody faced this issue before? and did they get there package finally? or shall I assume it to be lost for ever?

I did not receive my parcel that I had ordered from Kylie cosmetics. I have a tracking number, but it is a general post coming from USPS to India so it cannot be tracked. I have got tracking updates till it left USA. Then I figured after inquiring in a lot of places that there won't be any update once it leaves USA.

Well it's been a month since it left US (beyond the time limit/dead line given by the cosmetics line) and still no delivery. I called up the Bangalore post office they said that it might be held up by the customs and they also said that there are very little chances of a product being misplaced. What should I do now?

My son sent a package priority mail and bought and printed the shipping label from home. The pkg. was worth $2000 and he purchased insurance as well. The pkg. was never delivered and the tracking # shows that the pkg. never left the PO it was dropped off at.

The PO says that there is no way to prove that the pkg. was sent and that the tracking # is no proof that the pkg. was sent. They say they are looking into it, but they don't hold out much hope of it showing up. It sounds like it was stolen right from the PO itself and never mailed out. What should we do next and how do you protect yourself from this?

I was suppose to receive a check from one of my friend in Texas. I live in New Jersey. It was delivered on 18/12/2014. I have not received it yet. I don't have a tracking number. Is it delayed because of Christmas and holidays? Please help.

By devweb

A friend of mine send me the check on the 18th of Dec 2014 from Texas, to my address in New Jersey. However I have not received it yet. It's been around 14 days now. Is it because of Christmas and the holidays?

By Shashi N.

Answers

If you have not received it by now it is either lost or was never sent.

Delivery should not take more than a few days - so yes the first responder is probably correct.

Fact: out of the millions of pieces of mail handled each year - very few pieces are really lost. Generally the letter - IF mailed - can be "lost" if any part of the address is incorrect. Ask your friend what address they used and if correct, then it is questionable as to whether the check was mailed.

How do I file a "complaint of negligence" with the US post office for a priority mail box that I mailed on May 5, 2010, to Boulder, CO? It has never been received or returned. I did file a lost package claim form, but have heard nothing.

By JoAnn from Etters, PA

Answers

Call Line, 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777)
good luck.

Keep after them. Call every day. File the complaine but keep calling. This happened to me and they finally "found " it. The package was beat up and dirty but it was found. You just have to make them look for it. But do file the complaint because if that post office gets too many they will do some investigating. There is no excuse for them to lose packages that are tracked everywhere they go.

There is a district dead letter office. Ask for that. And then stay consistant with them daily on the phone. Ask for the head person each time. Local postal is the POSTMASTER. Make him answer for it.

I sent an envelope with a cashier's check to a friend in Newport Beach. I sent it addressed to her work place name and address, with attn: her name. I received the signature card back with an unusual signature (no one at her work place has this name), and when I tracked the envelope it said the sent envelope was received and signed at 6:45am, but my friend's business does not open until 7:45. No one received any envelope at her place of business when she checked. My question is how can an envelope be signed when the place of business that it was addressed to was not open at the time of the signature? There have been complaints with this post office (Newport Beach Ca.) with packages not being delivered, so we suspect an inside theft wiith the postal service. Please respond.

I recently mailed a book to Bookbyte using the prepaid shipping label. However when I track the package through USPS, it says it is still in the city where I tried shipping it and that it has been tendered to a returns agent and will no longer be tracked. What does this mean? My home address was not on the box or label so where is my package? The Bookbye website shows that the package is not in transit. How do I get my book back?

I lost my reciept from the Post Office now the business I sent the package to says they never got it. What recourse do I have proving I sent it back so I can get my money back?

I sent it on 3/30 and they said it would arrive at its destination on 4/3. It is now 4/9 and still no package. Tracking it says it has been sitting in New Jersey since 4/3. What can I do? I cannot get anyone on the phone to help. This is crazy!

By Charlene from Tinley Park, IL

I sent a package on January 29, 2015 to a friend who lives in Uruguay. I'm from New Jersey. This is the first time I've sent anything through the post office and well it might as well be the last since it's already March 13, 2015 and he still hasn't gotten it. It does have tracking and it says that it departed Montevideo, Uruguay. Does that mean it's being sent back to me? Cause it's been stuck like that since the 7th of February and I have no idea where it is now. I apparently bought insurance without realizing and it's a large flat rate box. What should I do?

By Kim

I have had nothing but problems with the post office in Oakland California.
The priority package departs Oakland, but never reaches Florida. Can somebody help me?

By S

I shipped a package from New Jersey to Minnesota. When the package was picked up the carrier never scanned it. So now the post office is telling me it was not picked up. Now for the twist, two package were sent to the same person at the same time. I have video surveillance that shows the post man with the two packages never being scanned. One package was delivered and one is lost. Now what do I do?

By mad about usps

Approximately 15 May 2013 we sent a package back to the merchant by USPS. On July 22 the merchant said he did not receive package. We have since lost or threw away our tracking receipt. Can USPS history show if a package was delivered without a tracking number?

By Randy

Answers

No, they cannot prove it was delivered, without the tracking number. If you can find the payment receipt from USPS the tracking number will be on it too. Shame on you for not checking to see that it was delivered. Was it something purchased on Ebay, or Listia? On each website there should be a place to record tracking numbers. If you ever used www.usps.com to see if it was delivered back to the merchant, the tracking number might be stored in your computer somewhere. Go back to website, and under tracking number start by putting in 900. Every usps tracking number I've ever had has begun with 900. Maybe you will get lucky. If nothing else, next time save it to your computer, or cell phone notepad. I think you got a shyster seller that was counting on you losing the tracking info, and you not having any way to prove that you indeed returned the purchase.

Hi - this is a tricky question but - here goes.

Did you actually pay for tracking? or for delivery confirmation? Is this the receipt you are talking about?

You can call customer services with the USPS (not local) but you will need the actual date shipped, the sender and recipient information, the post office where shipped and time of day may even help. Explain how important this information is because the recipient is claiming they did not receive it.

If you did not purchase tracking information then you are out of luck - most likely. You can Google the telephone number for customer services. There is also a number for USPS advocate.

What can I do to locate my lost package? The PO say I am out of time to lodge a complaint. The delay has been due to illness and I have medical evidence to prove this.

By Jao from South Norwood, London

Answers

If the package was being sent to you it is the responsibility of the sender. They should have had tracking on the package so it could be tracked down. If it was something you sent the only way you can find it is if you had a tracking number.

The exception to both of these is packages sent to a foreign country can't have tracking but you do get a "customs" number which allows limited tracking capability.

Now if you are talking about a package that was mailed to you and you couldn't pick it up because of your medical condition there is no telling where that package is. It may have been returned to sender. It may have been put somewhere in the mail room with other unclaimed packages. All you can really do is talk to a postal official and hope they are willing to go out of their way for a customer.

If you're talking about the Royal Mail, the best chance you have for sorting this (although with the Royal Mail, bless them, it's not a very good chance this will work) is to take your proof of medical incapacitation and any tracking numbers, etc, to the local post office and ask to speak with a supervisor.

The most important thing to remember when asking a postie to go the extra mile is to stay calm and keep repeating you know you are asking a lot and are so grateful for all the hard work they do with so little appreciation. Don't go 'overboard' but being extra nice when asking a postie for anything seems to work a lot of the time.

Plan to make your visit during a not-so-busy time for the counter clerks, and don't go anywhere near the post office with a special request too close to tea-time. I learned that one the hard way:(

I live in Scotland and have come to understand sometimes this works when dealing with 'special requests' to the Royal Mail. Not always, but with your medical paperwork and an extra helping of niceness it's possible your local will help you out.

I'm from India and I had cleared my CCNA exam, but the certificate has to be sent from United States. Cisco is telling that my certificate has already been sent to me, but I had not received it yet.

They have not given me any receipt number to track my certificate. So if any one knows how to get a receipt number I would appreciate your help. It was dispatched on the 16th of March 2011. It has been almost 4 months.

By guddu from India

Answers

I would ask for another certificate.

If possible ask for another to be sent and have them send it signature required if possible.

My boyfriend sent me my broken phone back in the mail, but I never got it. I don't have a tracking number. How will I be able to track it down? They said it would take 2 -3 days, but it's been a week. What should I do?

I ordered a cosmetic from Korea on July 28th 2015 addressed to Bangalore India. It's been a month and I didn't receive the parcel. Generally it used to come in 20 days. I couldn't track it with the order number they have given me. Can anyone help me on this?

A package from Pakistan was mailed on March 8th, 2015. I have a tracking number, but the USPS website says "tracking not found". Is it possible that the package will arrive even though it has that status? It was sent by registered mail.
Now it's over 30 days. Any ideas?

By Kim G.

I received notification from a vendor that the package I had ordered had been delivered. When I used the tracking information, it said that the package had been delivered to my address. Since I did not actually receive the package I went to the post office thinking that maybe it was still there. The manager told me that their information shows that the carrier scanned the package as delivered and there was nothing more they could do. What recourse do I have?

By Ila F.

Load More