Post Office Lost a Package

Sometimes a package or letter sent via the post office doesn't reach its destination. When this happens, there are some steps you can take to try and get help tracking it down. This is a page about post office lost a package.

I asked my son to mail a box at the post office in my neighborhood. He mailed the box to my sister in Atlanta on June 1st and it never arrived. My return address is also on the box. My son has lost the receipt so I have no tracking number. I put together this box of clothing and handbags for my sister. She was down and out and I wanted to surprise her. I'm really at a loss as to why it didn't get there or come back to me.

Answers

Best Answer

You will need to go to the post office where mailed and talk to the postmaster or whoever is in charge and give them as much information as possible so they might be able to look for your package.

• The information they will need:
  • 1.) Date mailed
  • 2.) name/address where package was going (exactly as you listed it on the package)
  • 3.) Return address as listed on package.
  • 4.) Type of mail service shipped: Priority Mail or Parcel Select
  • 5.) Insured?
  • 6.) Tracking paid for? (If shipped Priority tracking is included free)
  • 7.) size and/or weight of box (if you know this)
  • 8.) Cost of mailing (if you know this)
  • 9.) contents of package (general description)
  • If you will write all of this down before you go to the post office, it will save a lot of time.
  • Ask them to make a copy of this information so you can keep the original - just in case you need to seek further help.
  • The postmaster or person in charge should be able to contact the postmaster of the destination city and ask them for help in finding your package.
  • Advertisement

• They should know approximately what date the package should have arrived and can hopefully talk with the carrier on that route to see if they remember the package.
  • You should contact your sister and tell her to talk to her carrier and see if they remember seeing this package as it should only have taken a few days to reach Atlanta. She may also need to visit her local station and ask for help in locating this package.
  • You can also start your lost package claim online so there will be several areas doing the search.
  • www.usps.com/.../missing-mail.htm
  • Do not give up easily, keep asking for more help as sometimes the post office may not do everything they can to find lost mail unless the sender keeps insisting they want to go higher up the chain until you get a satisfactory answer.

I just want to ask about my parcel that was sent on 9 Jan 2014 to Scotland. The post office in Singapore said that it would take 4 to 6 working days to arrive. When I talked to my boyfriend in Scotland, he still hadn't received the parcel.

I'm just wondering whether the parcel was stolen, lost, or it is only delayed. What should I do? I want him to recieve the parcel as I sent a watch over there.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to see your replies.

By Mylene S. from Singapore

Answers

Best Answer

I live in NE Scotland between Dundee and Aberdeen. What class did you send the parcel by? I had 2nd class parcels arrive very late (from Hong Kong, although two others arrived well ahead of estimated delivery date), and one was even lost - it never showed up even though it was shipped from southern England.

I love the UK and I really love Scotland but the plain fact is Royal Mail has been increasingly rubbish the past - very arbitrary as to whether or not the parcel arrives on schedule.

Sad to say but quite true.

Post is running several days behind up here in Scotland no matter where in Scotland the parcel has been sent to. Give it another ten working days and then see if your local postal service can track it.

On December 12 of 2016 I sent a brand new laptop to my mom on the Virgin Islands and the postal office told me that it was going to arrive in two weeks. I never had problems with anything I shipped before so I didn't get insurance for it. Almost a month later she told me that it didn't arrive. I lost the receipt. About a week later I got an envelope with part of the box (where the tracking number is) and an application for refund of fees, products, and withdrawal of customer accounts. I checked the tracking number and it shows this:

December 14, 2016 , 12:22 am
In Transit to Destination
The item is currently in transit to the destination as of December 14, 2016 at 12:22 am.

December 13, 2016 , 4:03 am
Departed USPS Facility
TULSA, OK 74141

December 13, 2016 , 12:22 am
Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
TULSA, OK 74141

December 12, 2016, 2:11 pm
Acceptance

Is there anyway that I can get it back or get the money back?

Answers

Mailing any thing outside of the continental US is simply taking a chance; prior success is no guarantee. If you did not insure your package, the USPO will not do much, if anything, for you.

My friend from South Carolina (USA) sent a package on October 20th consisting of an iPhone. He sent me a reference number (Customs#), using that we are unable to track it online (in USPS and in IPS). My friend spoke with Customs in Miami, they said the package left the USA and indeed they also were unable to track it. I'm little worried, whether the package will reach India and get to my place, or it will be lost on the way to India. Since it's been more than 2 months and I'm unable to track it anywhere (with Customs in India and local Post Office). Kindly assist on how to find or track the package, your reply will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Answers

Only the post office can assist with that. It could have been stolen or lost along the route.. Was it insured?? was your name and address also on the inside of the package as recommended?

I have ordered a few things from different places. Some have made it to me, but for some, the tracking info says they are in Houston, but doesn't give me any more info than that. What can I do to find out where exactly my packages are?

By Cora S.

Answers

You should contact the company you used to send the packages-USPO, UPS, Fed Ex, etc., to locate the packages.

My error-you should contact the sender of the packages.

I had ordered from the Kylie constructs website almost 2 months ago. Still no delivery. Yes they do ship to India. It is coming from USPS and the tracking number starts with LN. Many people from Bombay Delhi have already received their packages. I live in Bangalore and it's been beyond the time limit. It's a reputed website and I could track my product till it left the USA. Is there a chance of it being misplaced?

I sent out the package on 2/28/11, but today is 3/29/11 and my friend still did not receive it yet? I filed a complaint to USPS. They said that there is nothing they can do, because the package was out using flat rate first class. They didn't sell me the insurance and confirmation for tracking. What should I do?

By yoyo from CA

Answers

They don't automatically sell you insurance when you mail a package. You have to tell them you want it insured for the value of the items in the package. I don't know what you can do, but I do know when you want a package insured you have to ask for it, and if you want a tracking number or something like that you also have ask for certain types of shipping.

There is nothing more to be done. Just hope that it may turn up at some point. I worked with the USPs for a while during Christmas and was surprised at the number of packages that came through with poor address labels that fell off or poorly packaged boxes that fell apart. None of these packages could be delivered. Not saying this was your case but mailing letters or packages one should always ASK for insurance and registered. That way the package can be traced and the recipient will sign for the package and a receipt will be forwarded to you.

I learned the hard way when dealing with USPS. Always, get insurance, delivery confirmation or the service that will give you tracking numbers. I prefer that because you can track the progress online.

I sent a scarce 1795 silver U. S. half-dollar to ANACS in CO. to be graded on March 10th insured for $1K and w/delivery confirmation. Tracking revealed it got to the sort center in Kent, WA. and no further. I'd much rather have the coin back, but I put in a claim as it's been over a month and no further movement or action has been noted. Someone I know who works for USPS strongly suspects it was "pilfered" (stolen) by some USPS employee at the sort center.

This company is the worst. Try a different company.

My sister sent a priority mail containing an international passport to me from another state. We tracked it and showed that it was scanned into my mail box, but I didn't find it in my box. I've complained to the USPS, they promised to investigate, but I've yet to hear any positive news about it from them.
Please what steps can be taken to get the mail because it takes a fortune to replace the passport.
Regards.

My friend from Oregon, USA sent me a gift through USPS. The package was sent to me on April 26,2016. The company said that the package would be delivered to me in 5-10 days, but as of now it has not been delivered. How can I get the package?

Should I trust the kiosk as much as I do the postal clerks? I have never needed to track a package until a postal worker asked if I would like help using the kiosk. The pkg. didn't arrive. I'm very leery about using it again.

By Maureen M

My sister sent me $100 throught the mail in a card. I have not received it yet. What should I do?

By Cynthia

I sent a small Flat Rate box to someone in California on 4/16. I dropped it like I always have in the drop box inside the post office. As of today 4/30 the post office still hasn't scanned the package. I went back to the post office and they weren't helpful. The supervisor was "surprised" the package hasn't been scanned and they said they didn't have it. What do I do?

Long story short I have someone who sends me beads to make up and I send them back to her. She has never asked me to insure it for a certain amount, but I insure for $30.00. When she called me about not receiving the package she was upset saying it was worth more. I need to find this package. Any ideas?

By Marie S.

Answers

If you made your own label online at USPS, you have a number for the box, if you did not print out a label for yourself but have an account with USPS go to that to get the number, contact the USPS with that number and they will search for you.

I sent 2.5 oz of pure .9999 gold in a cash4gold envelop. It had delivery conformation on it, and I told the postal employee that I did not feel comfortable dropping it in a mail box. I told the clerk that it was $4,000 worth of gold and he offered me insurance that I could not afford at the time.

The tracking number shows that the package was accepted at the Woburn, MA facility on August 30th at 10:49 am and that is the last update. The worst thing is the gold is my father in-law's. What can I do? I started a claim and that doesn't sound too promising at this point.

By Sam

Answers

I am so sorry to hear that. Looks like you are not alone. You might check out this article below. I have seen several stories on the news about various cash for gold sites and how they rip you off.. even if you do end up getting your money you are grossly underpaid.

consumerist.com/.../10-confessions-of-a-cash4gold-employee...

www.wptv.com/.../cash4gold-customers-told-gold-%22lost...

www.complaintsboard.com/?search=cash4gold&everything=Everything

I saw another article that said Cash4Gold was trying to clean up their image and was approaching online complaints on how they could make it right. So post your story on any review site/complaint board. At the very least you will warn others to stay away from these places. Good Luck to you~

I sent a Kindle by Parcel Select through the U. S Postal Service, July 21 with a return label and tracking label. They have not received the Kindle and are now trying to charge me. What can I do?

By Philip

Answers

Have you used the tracking number to check the status? And did you insure the package?

Always insure anything that's valuable (plus track it) when you send by USPS. If you sold this on ebay or some selling site, be aware that buyers sometimes say they "didn't get it" as a sort of scam to get something for "free". (They really received it, but thinking they didn't and not wanting bad feedback, you refund their $$). FYI on that. I wouldn't hugely trust a company either (mainly their employees), so if you bought it and were returning it, you should always insure and track or send it certified mail with return receipt (receipt comes back to you) so they have to sign for it when it's delivered. Good luck, I hope it works out.

If you sent a package with a tracking label via USPS then they gave you a tracking stub with your receipt. On the stub are the directions for the website to visit or the phone number to call. Then use the tracking number to determine the packages location. IF you lost that stub but still have the receipt for the postage I believe the tracking number is printed on the receipt as well. Just go to USPS.com and use the number on the receipt.

Once you find out where the package is you can notify the buyer and inform them of it's last known location.

I am not to familiar with the Return label, you can look that up on the USPS site as well probably or go by the post office and ask.

Hi.. Parcel select is the slow boat method. It hasn't had full time to get there. Give it a good two weeks. Hope this helps. Cindy

I made an online purchase from the US using USPS first class mail. The package was dispatched from Chicago on the 23rd of September 2016 and is still not delivered after 40 days. The tracking number only works till it leaves the US. I inquired and found that the package cannot be tracked in India. What can I do to find the package? It's a small package valued at $33 dollars and it does not contain any prohibited items. Has anybody faced this issue before? and did they get there package finally? or shall I assume it to be lost for ever?

I did not receive my parcel that I had ordered from Kylie cosmetics. I have a tracking number, but it is a general post coming from USPS to India so it cannot be tracked. I have got tracking updates till it left USA. Then I figured after inquiring in a lot of places that there won't be any update once it leaves USA.

Well it's been a month since it left US (beyond the time limit/dead line given by the cosmetics line) and still no delivery. I called up the Bangalore post office they said that it might be held up by the customs and they also said that there are very little chances of a product being misplaced. What should I do now?

Load More

Consumer Advice General AdviceMay 1, 2013
😷
📓
🐛
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Post-Office-Lost-a-Package.html