Card Lost in the Mail

My sister sent me $100 throught the mail in a card. I have not received it yet. What should I do?

By Cynthia

How long ago was the card sent? Did your sister think to buy insurance on the card, or to send it certified mail? If she did either, you can track it. If not, you can't.

Please tell me this was a check and not just a hundred dollar bill. If a check, she can put a stop on the check from her end, or report it as fraud if it is cashed by someone besides you.
If it was cash, there is nothing you can do but wait and hope it shows up.

Everyone, please take note. Don't enclose dollar bills in greetings cards. Dishonest postal workers sometimes open envelopes if they seem to contain greetings cards, as there might be an opportunity to steal cash.

You can at least report it to the post office to alert them of possible wrong doing on the part of a carrier. I did it a few times myself.

I wouldn't report the mail carrier. The card may have never gotten as far as the carrier. Why would you want to make trouble for a probably innocent, hard working person?

Besides the fact that it would be impossible to prove a carrier took the money. In the future, let people in your family know, if they don't already, that sending cash in the mail is a bad idea.