Most Office Lost Package

My son sent a package priority mail and bought and printed the shipping label from home. The pkg. was worth $2000 and he purchased insurance as well. The pkg. was never delivered and the tracking # shows that the pkg. never left the PO it was dropped off at.

The PO says that there is no way to prove that the pkg. was sent and that the tracking # is no proof that the pkg. was sent. They say they are looking into it, but they don't hold out much hope of it showing up. It sounds like it was stolen right from the PO itself and never mailed out. What should we do next and how do you protect yourself from this?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

You may be right that the package may have been stolen from the USPO. I worked at the USPO years ago and, ever since, never send anything via USPO, always FedEx or UPS.

It is very hard to protect from this happening, however, insurance is critical to cover possible losses. I suggest you follow closely to see what the USPO does (often a lengthy process) and file an insurance claim NOW for the missing package. Pay close attention to the insurance filing requirements, especially filing dates, etc., as the insurer is not interested in paying any money on claims.

Follow the USPO closely on their "investigation" as they are notoriously slow and, basically, not interested in recovering your package.

You say your son bought and printed the label from home.
Did he take the package to the post office counter? Or did he leave it for his regular postman to pick up?

this is very important as it will determine where the package could have gotten "lost".

I apologize for part of my question as I missed the last part of your question ( dropped off at post office).

Actually, it is very difficult to steal an item at a large post office; letters may be easier, but still difficult.
I can only suggest that anyone printing labels at home should try to have them scanned in at the post office when they are dropped off. Some people say the post office gives them a hard time when they ask them to scan a package but fortunately, I have not had that problem.

You can write a letter to the Postal Service in Washington, DC and someone will respond to your questions. Check for the address on the Internet. I believe they have several departments listed - anyone will do as it will be forwarded to the correct department.

Good luck and I hope you can find it.

I print labels at home and my postman picks them up daily (and scans them in) but I have to be careful where I leave items to be picked up.