Hiding Keys - Tips and Tricks

Category Tips
Hiding Keys, A key hidden under a mat.
Many people like to hide a spare key to their house or car, in case they get locked out. It is important to hide your key well, so that someone else doesn't find it. This is a guide about hiding keys.

I needed a spare car key in case I locked mine in the car. However, the price of a programmed key was over $100. So instead, I took my key to the local hardware store and got a regular key made, put it inside a magnetic box, and hooked it under the car.

Keep an extra key to your house and/or car on the end of your dog leash. When you take your pet for a walk in the neighborhood, or in the park, you will not have to worry about locking yourself out accidentally. You also won't have to worry about losing your keys if they are in your pocket when your dog starts running, you won't have to take your purse, your keys will always be there, handy and useful!

By Chichijunk from Cleveland, OH

My uncle taught me a good way to hide a key, under the vinyl on the house. He had a spot on his vinyl siding that he put a extra key in case they were locked out, or if someone had to get in for emergency purposes. He told very few of us in the family where it was. There is a little lip on the vinyl siding that held the key in place.

By Lindaspy from South Beloit, IL

My neighbor and I exchanged house keys so that we could enter each other's homes in case of an emergency or to feed pets while one of us is on vacation, etc. I bought two magnetic key holders and gave one to my neighbor to hide (I know where) on her porch for my house key and I put the other one under my metal mailbox with my neighbor's key in it.

If someone happened to find the key holder, the key wouldn't work in the lock where the key is hidden and I doubt they would go around trying the neighbor's doors. Also, her kids often forget their keys and can get their spare after school to get into their own house even if I'm not home.

By Susan from Pennsylvania

I painted the inside of a mayonaise jar (keep label on) with white craft paint. I keep it in the refrigerator in the garage to store our house keys in. Works great and no more fumbling.

By Havanagirl

I am forever going outside to my laundry room only to return and find the door has locked itself and I am locked outside. I had several experiences of climbing in windows in the cooler months and disturbing neighbors to call my daughter on several occasions, and finding out that this is just a flaw in my lock.

Then my son-in-law bought me one of the boxes that the realtors use. Now I have a hidden spare key on the inside of the door to my outside laundry room that has a secret combination and holds a spare key. No more being locked out of my house. I have been assured these can be bought pretty cheaply at a hardware store. (He got several, all for $1 at a yard sale and you set your own code! Do I have the best son in law or what? )

Source: family solution

By Kimberly from Lakeland, FL

I put an extra key for my house and my car in the outside fuse box and I then lock it with a combination lock. To remember the combination, I put it down as a phone number and put the number in my storage unit.

Simply tie some mono filament fishing line to your key and slip in into one of your house siding openings so only the filament is exposed. Pull it out when needed!

Hide Your House Key

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

We all have our favorite key hiding places for our own use. However, to tell the location of a well-hidden key for a 911 call may not be easy, especially by the person who may be in need of emergency personnel.

Does anyone know of a creative, secure way to store an extra house key outside? We don't want to do something obvious like put it under the door mat, but we want it as close to the door as we can. I know you can buy fake-looking rocks to put a key in, but I was wondering if anyone has any free ideas! Thanks!

Kathy from SD

Make a deal with one of your neighbors to swap keys--your key under his door mat or flower pot and vice versa.

you could hide it inside of a potted plant or if you wanted to spend a bit of money, you could by one of those rocks that have a hole in them just for keys. i'm not sure how expensive they are though.

We have one that looks like a thermometer and

you hide the key inside. It slides open. Why couldn't

you buy a pretty thermometer and tape it to the back? I wouldn't hang it right by the door though. J.B.

I have a flower pot on my deck that I fill with sand and put a citronella stick in...I keep a key hidden in the sand

We have always taped a spare key to the underside of the cover of our circut braker box. It's not too close to our door, but in a pinch it's there and it gets you into the house.

A friend of ours put a key to their house on a nail in the crotch of a tree (the side closest to the house so the sun's rays wouldn't reflect from the key). Even for those of us who knew it was there (emergency use) it was a little difficult to find.

Why on earth would anyone want to share with the Internet world where to hide house keys ... that's advertising to all the thiefs out there!

Criminals are not the smartest people ... don't point it out to them.

Grandma Bess, where did you get your thermometer one at ?

Do you often need the outside key, Or is it an emergency key? If you use it frequently keep the front door key in the backyard, perhaps on a nail on the fence, so that nobody sees you going to get it and use it.

My neighbor keeps my key in her unlocked garage on a nail in her tool cabinet.

Make a deal to park it at a neighbor's house under or in a fake rock that is a few houses away from your house.

I once dropped my daughter's friend off at her house and the child fetched her entry key in this manner.

Don't buy one of those things that you hide a key in. They're pretty obvious and I'm sure anyone who shops at Wal-mart or any store has seen them and knows what they are. At my last house, I put a key in a small ziplock bag and hid it under some mulch in a flowerbed. No one knew it was there, but was easy to get to when I locked myself out. It was in the same place for 4 years before I had to use it, but I took comfort just knowing where it was if I ever needed it. Don't give it to a neighbor -- they are never home when you get locked out. I had a friend who did this, and the neighbor told her daughter inadvertently whose key it was. Well, the daughter mentioned it to her brother when one of his friends was over and the friend overheard it, and to make a long story short, the key was stolen and someone used it to get into her home. The insurance refused to pay since they had a key.

I know this sounds silly, but carry it with you. I know a man that keeps a spare key in his wallet. Hide it in your car. Put it in a pill box in your purse. Make sure anyone who would need one has thier own key. If you hide a key then have to keep using it, it won't be long before someone figures it out. Just a side note, I carry my keys in my pocket when I'm out. That way if something happens to my purse I have my keys.

We're moving so this isn't a secret anymore .LOL I hung mine on a wire from a small nail that was used to hang an outside decoration on the wall close to the front door. It WAS there for over 25 years we have used it maybe 5-6 times. And the kids knew where it was in case we were not home when they came to visit, so maybe they had used it twice.

Another time hubby had placed one under a rock in a rocky area, in a baggy near the house.We found it by accident the other day...It must have fit the old door,as it wasn't for the one we have now.And one more idea. He chiselled out a small hole in the post holding up the porch roof put the key in and sealed it up with a small piece of scrap wood and hung an outdoor thermometer over it. Always the tinkerer. Now I will not tell you where it is now.lol A neighbor used to put hers in the roll up sun blind on her patio. She has moved also. GG Hugs, Vi

We have a key hung on a nail high up in a tree. I also gave each of my kids a house key and attached it to each of their backpacks on one of those coil type keychains so they dont lose it.

I have my spare key duct taped to the inside of my rottweiler's collar.

here is what I used to do...hopefully no one will because no one should EVER chain a dog outside, you live and learn, but we did...I would put my spare key in the german shepherds dog house. I figured if anyone was brave enough to check in there they deserved to find it!!!

NEVER CHAIN A DOG OUTSIDE FOR ANY REASON IF YOU HAVE TO CHAIN A DOG, DO NOT GET ONE

THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME THIS PLATFORM

Duct tape it behind the closest down gutter.

Good ideas. I accidentally (as if I'd do it on purpose) locked my dog and me outside one cold February night, and finally managed to get in through one window that wasn't locked, thank goodness.

Hanging flower pot or dryer vent or dog kennel or neighbor's yard, keep a spare key somewhere safe. You'll use it.

I keep an extra door and car key in my purse.

We took about 75 old keys and the house key and painted them different colors and made windchimes, only friends and family members know which color key is to the house.

they are called something like a key vault... they are little boxes that you screw to a wall and have a 3 digit code you enter in that allows you to get to the key... hard to get the key out without the code... and fairly small so could be put somewhere inconspicuous....

There are many suggestions as to where to hide keys around the house, but where can you hide a car key for times when you lock yourself out of your car? It must be somewhere on the car, able to be retrieved when you're away from home. Under the hood is not good, for most cars release hood from inside the car. I have a magnetic box for this purpose, but can't figure where to hide it that a thief won't think of right away.

By Cay