Hiding Keys - Tips and Tricks

Many people like to hide a spare key to their house or car, in case they get locked out. It is important to hide your key well, so that someone else doesn't find it. This is a guide about hiding keys.

October 17, 2016 Flag

Simply tie some mono filament (fishing line) to your key and slip in into one of your house siding openings so only the filament is exposed. Pull it out when needed!

Hide Your House KeyHide Your House Key

February 15, 2011 Flag

I needed a spare car key in case I locked mine in the car. However, the price of a programmed key was over $100. So instead, I took my key to the local hardware store and got a regular key made, put it inside a magnetic box, and hooked it under the car.

January 13, 2012 Flag

My uncle taught me a good way to hide a key, under the vinyl on the house. He had a spot on his vinyl siding that he put a extra key in case they were locked out, or if someone had to get in for emergency purposes. He told very few of us in the family where it was. There is a little lip on the vinyl siding that held the key in place.

By Lindaspy from South Beloit, IL

This sounds like a good idea if you have siding; I don't. There are so many places under the siding that a thief would have to look. Nearly impossible for him/or to find the key.

I personally think posting hiding places of keys is not a wise thing to post, keep it a secret to yourself and immediate family. It's a safety issue, why give burglers a lot of places to look?

Syd's 2 Cents

My father used to keep a spare house key in a small plastic bag hidden behind a piece of loose cement in the gap in a brick wall. When he went to use it one day after the key had been in the wall for many years, it wouldn't fit in the lock as the key had corroded so badly. He had to break a small window to get in!

Put the key in a baby food jar and bury it, but not too deeply. You can also use an empty plastic pill bottle or glass vitamin bottle.

January 18, 2012 Flag

My neighbor and I exchanged house keys so that we could enter each other's homes in case of an emergency or to feed pets while one of us is on vacation, etc.

October 20, 2012 Flag

I am forever going outside to my laundry room only to return and find the door has locked itself and I am locked outside.

January 21, 2012 Flag

I put an extra key for my house and my car in the outside fuse box and I then lock it with a combination lock. To remember the combination, I put it down as a phone number and put the number in my storage unit.

November 15, 2004 Flag

I painted the inside of a mayonaise jar with white craft paint. I keep it in the refrigerator in the garage to store our house keys in. Works great and no more fumbling.

June 16, 2007 Flag

Does anyone know of a creative, secure way to store an extra house key outside? We don't want to do something obvious like put it under the door mat, but we want it as close to the door as we can. I know you can buy fake-looking rocks to put a key in, but I was wondering if anyone has any free ideas! Thanks!

Kathy from SD

I would say the most important thing is to place it somewhere that you could retrieve the key without being seen. Once a person sees you get your key, they will know where it is. I love the windchime idea, but I am too paranoid and that is pretty high profile. (Maybe if there were 500 keys to choose... hmmm...)

We have buried a key in a small tupperware container, but that can be frustrating when a year passes and you have to dig in the dirt but are not exactly sure where.

I am thinking of buying a few key vaults, and swapping keys with neighbors. They would have my key vault and I would have theirs. You could get several neighbors a vault. Then, if a person were to break into one, it would be a guessing game on which house it opened. If he were targeting your house, he would have to break into several vaults to find your key. I bet they would give up on finding a key in that scenario.

What about a dryer vent, covered in lint? The dog's house or collar is a great idea for those with outdoor dogs that might be unapproachable to an intruder. How about the zipper on the cushion of patio furniture? Or hiding the key to a hidden lock box? (Can you say scavenger hunt?) If you have many flower pots, bird feeders, lawn ornaments, etc, use a different one each time you use the key.

If you have a lot of paving stones or trees or something all together, pick one to start at and count in a certain direction for the number of letters in a password or phrase. Then you can just tell family and friends when the passphrase changes, or (getting more creative...) you could have a decorative wall hanging or yard ornament with a quotation on it, and change it to a different one when you need to change which rock your key is under.

Make it too difficult for them to be found, and change your hiding place as soon as you use it. Cycle through many hiding places. At least if you forget which one it is hidden in, you will find it eventually.

I remember my father locked himself out of the house once, as I was with him at the time. He said "I have a spare key hidden in the cement joint in the wall in a plastic bag. I haven't used it before". When he tried to use it it so was crusted up with rust it would not fit in the lock. It had been there at least ten years, and we had to wait for mother to return home to let us in!

I use a paver that is part of a small walkway I have in my grassy area to hide a spare key. What I do is wrap my key in plastic wrap and coat it with Vaseline to retard corrosion and rust. Then put the key in a old film canister and dig a small hole under the paver in the dirt. No one has ever found it but we know where it is if we get locked out.

We put a hook under the hand rail on our deck to hang the key on and put it towards the back side of the rail where it is not visible at all.

April 14, 2015 Flag

We all have our favorite key hiding places for our own use. However, to tell the location of a well-hidden key for a 911 call may not be easy, especially by the person who may be in need of emergency personnel.

June 29, 2013 Flag

There are many suggestions as to where to hide keys around the house, but where can you hide a car key for times when you lock yourself out of your car? It must be somewhere on the car, able to be retrieved when you're away from home. Under the hood is not good, for most cars release hood from inside the car. I have a magnetic box for this purpose, but can't figure where to hide it that a thief won't think of right away.

By Cay

Why not make an extra key and carry it in your wallet? There are credit card sized "spare key" holders that are available or you could tape a key to a piece of cardboard and stick it in a card slot. Another option is to keep your spare key in something else that you always keep with you (your phone for most people) and most women keep their phones in a case that could hide a key.

Have a keyless enter put on your car

Put it behind your license plate, put a key ring on the key and put the bolt threw the ring. it only takes a coin to remove the bolt that holds the plate on.

I bought one of those extra large magnetic key hiders on ebay and hid it under my car near the drivers side. Its easy for me to get to and it doesn't fall off because of the large magnetic on the bottom. I also keep an extra house key in there too, just in case i get locked out of my house. I wouldn't be without that box. It cost a small fortune to hare a locksmith.

Organizing TipsNovember 11, 2011
rock hide a key
Making a Pill Bottle Hide-a-Key
girl looking at a pimple
Hiding a Pimple
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys
Money hidden in a china sugar pot.
Hiding Valuables