Hiding a Spare Key on Your Car

Does anyone know of a safe, yet accessible place to hide a spare car key under the hood, or any other place that can be gotten to while locked out? I don't like the idea of a magnetic box because all someone has to do is pull it off the car plus, as hard as I hit speed bumps and potholes, at times, it would never last!

Best Answer

I keep one in my wallet and one with a nearby family member. That won't help if I am out of town and lock my purse in the car, but since I don't go far and neither does she, it works for me.

That said, my dad used to use the magnet holder in the inside of the hub cap, but that was 30 + years ago...hub caps probably aren't the right kind of metal today. Maybe duct tape to the inside of the hubcap?

Keys are really expensive these days if the have a chip in them, so you may not want anything so risky that if you lose it you are out a hundred bucks.

Caution - if you need to release the hood from the inside of the car, hiding the key under the hood is useless. You could try using gorilla tape to tape the key anywhere under the car or behind the license plate.

That would provide a very low profile and you wouldn't have to worry about it falling off when you go over bumps because it would be flexible. Good luck.

I'd worry about it bumping off. Perhaps you'd like something like this on your plate?

www.amazon.com/.../B00PKQ4MLM (Affiliate Link)

I would leave it with a neighbor. Burglars know all the clever hiding places.

Best Answer

That won't help if you are over a couple miles away, your cell is inside the car or they work. You can tie it with a double fisherman's knot using fishing line to the back of the license plate. Wrap it like your never going to need it. Then when you do, it will be there. Here are some good ideas.

letstalkbuzz.com/.../

Hide it behind the license plate need a dime to unscrew it

I found out the hard way if you do lose a car key with a chip in it call a locksmith to come to your home and do not go to the car dealership. Locksmith took about ten minutes to make keys and I had three made for less than cost of one from dealership.

I need to tell that to my husband. We spent a fortune on a new key from the dealership when one broke. Thanks for sharing!

you can put the spear key in your mail box under a mat if you have one at your door

Glue a spare car door key to the back of your license plate with a glop of silicone caulk.

Hide another key, one with the ignition "chip" in it inside the car to start it with. If a thief does find the spare key behind the license plate, he still can't start the car.

Organizing AdviceJune 4, 2018
🎄