Browsing: Home Remedies for Poison Ivy

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Home Remedies for Poison Ivy

When you come in contact with this plant, you want to reduce the inflammation and painful itch. This guide is about home remedies for poison oak.

Home Remedies for Poison Ivy
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 21, 2007 Flag

Does anyone know of some homemade cures for poison ivy?

Thanks
Sandy from Bluff City, TN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use a cap full of Clorox bleach in a tub of warm/hot water. Soak your entire body in the tub until the water begins to feel cool. The poison ivy will clear up within days. Of course if its on your face, dont use bleach!

If you're lucky enough to live by the ocean, a quick dip will stop the spread and clear it up in a day or so. If not, strong lye soap works well.

Read More Answers...

June 12, 2012 Flag

What can I do, short of going to my doctor, to treat poison ivy, especially the itch? I've had it before, but it's never have been this itchy!

Thankz a million in advance.

By AL from Pittsburgh, PA

I use hot water. I got it on my hands one year and found a site on the web that recommended hot water to ease the itch. I hold my hand under the faucet, running hot water, (not burning hot, of course). The hot water releases the histamines that cause the itching. The itching will stop until the histamines build up again... usually in a few hours, then I do it again.

This wouldn't be practical for some areas on the body but worked great for me on my hands,

hot water actually causes more itch. cool water is best as compress to calm the itch.

Read More Answers...

June 3, 2013 Flag

I had it all over my arms and ankles. I tried alcohol, aloe, witch hazel, dish soap, lemon, etc.! No relief, the itch was killing me. It would wake me up in the middle of the night!

Finally, what finally dried it up after a week is a spray called Tecnu. It's at Walgreens or CVS. It is awesome. It cures the itch, cools the area and dried it up. It cost me $14.00 at CVS. Just thought I would share!

June 13, 2013 Flag

Is there a good cream for the itch from poison ivy? I've had the bad experience of getting poison ivy again, this is the second year. I've never had it before until last year and this year. I've gone to the doctor and was prescribed some pills and cream for the itch and rash.

It's been over a month and I still have the rash. It's slowly going away. My question is: There is an over the counter cream called Zanfel that is sold at Walgreens in a little tube for over $35.00 that is suppose to stop the itch within 30 seconds and start clearing up the rash by the second day! Has anyone ever tried this cream and does it really work? Is it worth the money for such a small amount? I have relatives that swear that it works great, but I reviewed it and found others that would not buy the stuff and said it didn't work at all. Should I buy this or not? Is there a generic brand that would work better and cheaper? Any help would be great. Thanks.

By Linda from Brighton, MI

The old school way: Fals Naptha soap

Fels Naptha Soap can be bought at Walmart now and several other stores. It works best and fastest use a washcloth you can even break it up and put it in your laundry it doesn't smell pleasant but it works. DO NOT TAKE a bath use it in the shower....

Read More Answers...

August 9, 2005 Flag

Any new ideas on treating poison ivy? My arms started with the rash, itch three days ago and I am about to go crazy. Not to mention that it looks so gross!

Jan from South Carolina

I don't know if this will work once you are in heavy break out mode but, it works for me when I do this just a few hours after contact and welts appear.

1) Get out of your contaminated clothes.

2) Apply liquid dish soap (Dawn) to area. No water. Rub in, and then wash off - don't dry.

3) Apply Baking Soda to the wet area liberally. leave on a minute or two. It will itch a little.

4) Rinse baking soda off with vinegar. (yep, the stuff in the fridge with vinegar will bubble like crazy and tingle.)

5) Rinse with fresh water and dry.

My welts were completely gone within 3 to 4 hours. It's worked for me 3 times so far. It's cheap and it's stuff I already had in the house.

Fels naptha soap can be bought at Walmart now it doesn't smell good but it works use a wash cloth and scrub it with the soap. I have never used it on my face though it works it you wash more than once a day you will find relief like no other....

Read More Answers...

May 3, 2012 Flag

Is there a treatment for poison ivy in a pill form? I have tried all the over the counter medicines to stop the itch, etc., but nothing seems to help. Outside of going to a doctor does anyone know if there anything else I can take?

By Bren

I am an experienced poison ivy victim-not anymore. After running down treatment after treatment and going to the doctor for shots and steroid, I went to an Apothecary shoppe and bought Rhus-tox. This is a treatment of 3 vials taken for 3 consescutive weeks on the same day of the week.

Pill is not as strong as the liquid so I highly recommend the liquid. Cost me about $22. I would have paid $2200.00 for it. Can't be used while you are infected but after you are clear. Take it. Once a year treatment is all you need. I have not had poison ivy for 3 years. For the relief of the itching, buy Gold Bond ointment. It is soothing and cool. I feel for ya, buddy.

Rub a green tomato on it several times a day and it should clear it right up after a day or too.

Read More Answers...

August 3, 2012 Flag

Does anyone know how to treat poison ivy and how to prevent it?

By Paula M

Jewelweed works wonders and Mother Nature supplies large amounts of this wild weed. Just break off some tips and leaves, smuch them up and rub on the affected areas. No cost, no chemicals.

To guest99. What does this jewelweed look like? Could you provide a picture so we know what leaves to look for. Do they populate the midwest or just southern states?

Read More Answers...

June 26, 2011 Flag

My husband has poison oak on his leg. Any ideas on how to cure it?

By Elizabeth D.

My husband and I both have been inundated with poison oak. I had it so bad two years ago that my eyes were swollen shut! Anyway, I used plain rubbing alcohol on it to dry it out. Every time I started itching, I just took a cotton ball soak in the alcohol and rubbed it over the spots. My husband used this tip too, but he used all the alcohol and didn't tell me so we ran out. He tried straight bleach and that worked too. But, I'd be afraid of the bleach burning my skin if I was sensitive to it, which I am.

My husband can look at the stuff and break out. I buy Ivarest at the drug store and it works for him. Also, and I don't know for sure about this one but a doctor told my mom years and years ago to use Octagon soap on it. That would be an old timey cure.

Read More Answers...
Load More
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJanuary 20, 2013
Ivy on a building.
Removing Ivy From a Building or Home
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Poison Sumac Bush
Remedies for Poison Sumac
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 1, 2016 at 1:45:31 PM on 10.0.1.82 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.