Home Remedies for Poison Ivy

When you come in contact with this plant, you want to reduce the inflammation and painful itch. This guide is about home remedies for poison oak.

June 3, 2013 Flag

I had it all over my arms and ankles. I tried alcohol, aloe, witch hazel, dish soap, lemon, etc.! No relief, the itch was killing me. It would wake me up in the middle of the night!

Finally, what finally dried it up after a week is a spray called Tecnu. It's at Walgreens or CVS. It is awesome. It cures the itch, cools the area and dried it up. It cost me $14.00 at CVS. Just thought I would share!

Tecnu is awesome and worth every penny. You can also put it on your body before messing with the various poison plants and then take a shower. The poisons wash off your body like you never messed with anything.

I use this all the time and it is wonderful. I am highly allergic to poison ivy. It was originally developed for the logging industry in the Northwest.

May 21, 2007 Flag

Does anyone know of some homemade cures for poison ivy?

Thanks
Sandy from Bluff City, TN

Use a cap full of Clorox bleach in a tub of warm/hot water. Soak your entire body in the tub until the water begins to feel cool. The poison ivy will clear up within days. Of course if its on your face, dont use bleach!

June 12, 2012 Flag

What can I do, short of going to my doctor, to treat poison ivy, especially the itch? I've had it before, but it's never have been this itchy!

Thankz a million in advance.

By AL from Pittsburgh, PA

Crush 6 Bayer asprin and disolve into 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol and apply at least 3 times a day. Stops the itch and dries up the blisters. Have used this for years. Note of caution: Store in glass container only. I don't know why, but Bayer seems to work the best. Hope this helps you.

I use hot water. I got it on my hands one year and found a site on the web that recommended hot water to ease the itch. I hold my hand under the faucet, running hot water, (not burning hot, of course). The hot water releases the histamines that cause the itching. The itching will stop until the histamines build up again... usually in a few hours, then I do it again.

This wouldn't be practical for some areas on the body but worked great for me on my hands,

June 13, 2013 Flag

Is there a good cream for the itch from poison ivy? I've had the bad experience of getting poison ivy again, this is the second year. I've never had it before until last year and this year. I've gone to the doctor and was prescribed some pills and cream for the itch and rash.

It's been over a month and I still have the rash. It's slowly going away. My question is: There is an over the counter cream called Zanfel that is sold at Walgreens in a little tube for over $35.00 that is suppose to stop the itch within 30 seconds and start clearing up the rash by the second day! Has anyone ever tried this cream and does it really work? Is it worth the money for such a small amount? I have relatives that swear that it works great, but I reviewed it and found others that would not buy the stuff and said it didn't work at all. Should I buy this or not? Is there a generic brand that would work better and cheaper? Any help would be great. Thanks.

By Linda from Brighton, MI

The old school way: Fals Naptha soap

Fels Naptha Soap can be bought at Walmart now and several other stores. It works best and fastest use a washcloth you can even break it up and put it in your laundry it doesn't smell pleasant but it works. DO NOT TAKE a bath use it in the shower....

August 9, 2005 Flag

Any new ideas on treating poison ivy? My arms started with the rash, itch three days ago and I am about to go crazy. Not to mention that it looks so gross!

Jan from South Carolina

when I was a kid, a neighbor burned brush with poison ivy. I had it everywhere and doctors gave internally and external medication but I had it so severe, it barely worked. The doctor was going to admit me into the hospital but told my mother to take me to the beach and let me soak in the ocean. It worked wonders and back at home my mother made a salt salution but it didnt work. We went back to the beach for another soaking and brought home gallons of sea water home. I was able to wear clothes again and keep my eyes open within 4 days. Everything cleared up within a week. Since then mild cases of it is always cleared up in a day or two after a day at the beach.

I don't know if this will work once you are in heavy break out mode but, it works for me when I do this just a few hours after contact and welts appear.

1) Get out of your contaminated clothes.

2) Apply liquid dish soap (Dawn) to area. No water. Rub in, and then wash off - don't dry.

3) Apply Baking Soda to the wet area liberally. leave on a minute or two. It will itch a little.

4) Rinse baking soda off with vinegar. (yep, the stuff in the fridge with vinegar will bubble like crazy and tingle.)

5) Rinse with fresh water and dry.

My welts were completely gone within 3 to 4 hours. It's worked for me 3 times so far. It's cheap and it's stuff I already had in the house.

May 3, 2012 Flag

Is there a treatment for poison ivy in a pill form? I have tried all the over the counter medicines to stop the itch, etc., but nothing seems to help. Outside of going to a doctor does anyone know if there anything else I can take?

By Bren

Go to the pharmacy and get a product call Tecnu. It was made for the loggers in the northwest. I am allergic to poison ivy as well and it works for me. Follow directions and I think you will be pleased.

I am an experienced poison ivy victim-not anymore. After running down treatment after treatment and going to the doctor for shots and steroid, I went to an Apothecary shoppe and bought Rhus-tox. This is a treatment of 3 vials taken for 3 consescutive weeks on the same day of the week.

Pill is not as strong as the liquid so I highly recommend the liquid. Cost me about $22. I would have paid $2200.00 for it. Can't be used while you are infected but after you are clear. Take it. Once a year treatment is all you need. I have not had poison ivy for 3 years. For the relief of the itching, buy Gold Bond ointment. It is soothing and cool. I feel for ya, buddy.

August 3, 2012 Flag

Does anyone know how to treat poison ivy and how to prevent it?

By Paula M

Learn to identify poison ivy and then just avoid it. We don't have it where I live, but we do have other types of stinging plants, not nothing as bad as poison ivy. You just learn to identify them, and then stay away.

I am sorry I can't tell you what do when you do have a rash. Try googling for info; there are many free websites that give you information about medical issues such as this.

Jewelweed works wonders and Mother Nature supplies large amounts of this wild weed. Just break off some tips and leaves, smuch them up and rub on the affected areas. No cost, no chemicals.

June 26, 2011 Flag

My husband has poison oak on his leg. Any ideas on how to cure it?

By Elizabeth D.

I don't know about the poison oak, but with poison ivy, if you can use alcohol on it immediately after exposure, this will take care of it. If not immediately, then use this as soon as possible. If you find that you did not catch it in time, take 3 to 4 grams of vitamin C every three to four hours, or when you feel that skin crawly sensation return. After 5 days of this treatment, the poison ivy should be completely gone. I hope this helps with poison oak as well!

My husband and I both have been inundated with poison oak. I had it so bad two years ago that my eyes were swollen shut! Anyway, I used plain rubbing alcohol on it to dry it out. Every time I started itching, I just took a cotton ball soak in the alcohol and rubbed it over the spots. My husband used this tip too, but he used all the alcohol and didn't tell me so we ran out. He tried straight bleach and that worked too. But, I'd be afraid of the bleach burning my skin if I was sensitive to it, which I am.

Load More
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJanuary 20, 2013
Ivy on a building.
Removing Ivy From a Building or Home
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Poison Sumac Bush
Remedies for Poison Sumac
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
🎄