Beware of Poison Ivy and Poison Oak

I learned something new. My daughter and I took a stroll on a farm path down by the woods. As we were walking, I noticed a tree that had a limb, about head high, that was filled with pretty leaves with small white clusters of flowers.

I asked,"What kind of tree is that?" She said, "It's not a tree, it's poison ivy." Sure did look like a limb on a small tree to me. I'm glad I did not touch it.

I had never seen poison ivy that grew this high and was branched out like that.

I've always thought poison ivy and poison oak were the same. I learned that poison ivy is a vine and poison oak is more like a small shrub. Both can be identified by the three-leaf cluster and the shape of the leaves.

I have not seen any Poison Sumac. What we have in our area is called Winged Sumac. Poison Sumac has red stems.

Winged Sumac is not poisonous. You can tell the difference by looking at the stem. Winged Sumac looks like there is some leaf on each side of the stem. That's where it gets it's name.

I'm glad I'm not allergic to any of these plants. For those who are, a good rule to follow is the old saying: 'Leaved by three, leave it be'.

You can also get these from your pets and from your clothing. Ask me how I know this.

So true.

Home and Garden Gardening Weeds Woody and Vining WeedsMay 5, 2020
😎
😷
👔
🌻
🐛
🎆

Generated 2020-05-24 09:40:10 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️

Woody and Vining WeedsWeeds