Woody and Vining WeedsWeeds

Identifying Poison Ivy

What does poison ivy look like?

Ad

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

April 13, 20190 found this helpful
Best Answer

(1) clusters of three leaflets, (2) alternate leaf arrangement, (3) lack of thorns, and (4) each group of three leaflets grows on its own stem, which connects to the main vine. Hope this helps! Be safe!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 13, 20190 found this helpful

You can see what poison ivy looks like by checking out these photos
www.thespruce.com/pictures-of-poison-ivy-4071932

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 13, 20190 found this helpful

It has solid green pointed leaves in groups of three.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 13, 20190 found this helpful

If you have touched the ivy and start to get a rash, try using calemine lotion to quell the itch. The rash can be very itchy and oozing. If you have issues after 3 days or the site gets red or warm, please seek medical help. This is nothing to mess with!

Ad

Not all people react to poison ivy. Never burn it when trying to get rid of it as the fumes can spread the "poison". Use heavy, disposable gloves and don't touch your face, eyes, or skin. There are chemicals to get rid of it, but they have their own dangers.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 17, 20190 found this helpful

Poison ivy and poison oak are some of the most hazardous plants as they can be dangerous just by touching them, dangerous to burn as breathing the fumes can cause severe lung problems (even from a distance), and will still be bad even if left to die and generally do not die easily.

Here is an excellent article with pictures:

www.webmd.com/.../slideshow-poison-plants

Urushiol oil (poison oak or poison ivy) can remain active for several years, so handling dead leaves or vines can cause a reaction. In addition, oil transferred from the plant to other objects (such as pet fur, clothing, shoes) can cause the rash if it comes into contact with the skin.

Ad


Clothing, tools, and other objects that have been exposed to oil should be washed to prevent further transmission.

Immediate washing with soap and cold water or rubbing alcohol may help prevent a reaction. Hot water should not be used, as it causes one's pores to open up and admit the oils from the plant. During a reaction, Calamine lotion or diphenhydramine may help mitigate symptoms.

www.medicinenet.com/.../article.htm#is_it_possible_to_prevent_a_poison_ivy_oak_or_sumac_rash

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
Categories
Home and Garden Gardening Weeds Woody and Vining WeedsApril 13, 2019
Guides
More
🌻
Gardening
🐛
Pest Control
🐰
Easter Ideas!
👒
Mother's Day Ideas!
👔
Father's Day Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Instagram
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Categories
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/04/17 12:15:38 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!