Home Remedies for Restless Leg Syndrome

Many people who suffer from RLS find relief without prescription medications. This is a guide about home remedies for restless leg syndrome.

February 4, 2013 Flag

I was diagnosed with Restless Leg Syndrome and was given a prescription
which I had several bad side effects from and it was also addicting. So I did not take it long.

I was talking to a friend of mine who told me she also had Restless Leg Syndrome and she took 1 table spoon of apple vinegar cider nightly for years and has not had to take any other medication since for it.

Since I cannot stand the bitter taste I bought some apple cider vinegar tablets and I have not had any more restless nights and I don't have to take it as often now just as needed. They are not expensive. I buy 250 mg - 250 Tablets for $7.39 and they last me a long time. I hope this helps as many of you as well as it has helped me.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 8 Comments

July 30, 2013 Flag

I'm a 51 year old man and have had Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) for 10 years and in my arms as well on occasion. I've read and surfed the web like you, heard of all the crazy RLS cure ideas but what I found out that works for me was when I stopped all caffeine intake and most sugar intake for just one day and that night, zero RLS.

If you can't do without caffeine and sugar, try the herb Kratom. You can buy it online at a hundred different U.S. websites and it's 100% legal. Kratom has some of the same alkaloids as opiates but not the same effect. It's a nice calming feeling but it also calms RLS. If you ever had a pain med prescription, you might have noticed your RLS had also disappeared. Kratom is a way of getting the alkaloids without the real opiates or need for prescription. Kratom is completely safe, overdoses are impossible but do your own homework to verify my words. Hope this helps.

Editor's Note: Read this Wikipedia entry for more information about the controversial Thai herb Kratom, or Mitragyna speciosa. Please consult with your health care provider before starting any herbal treatments.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

January 31, 2013 Flag

I have suffered from RLS (restless leg syndrome) for years, but cannot tolerate the prescription for it. My doctor, who also suffers from it, drinks 8 oz. of tonic water every evening. I tried it and it works. For those who can't have sugar, like me, there is a diet version available.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

December 25, 2013 Flag

Every night my left legs shakes and vibrates. Is that restless leg syndrome? What can I do to make it stop? Please help.

By Andrea

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your symptoms do not sound like the classic RLS symptoms. Generally, with RLS, you voluntarily move your legs because there is an irresistible urge to do so. If your symptoms are causing a great deal of problems, please see a neurologist. He will probably ask you to spend the night in a sleep lab where nerve conduction test will be performed, so as to find the source of your problems. I wish you luck.

Yes you are suffering from Restless Leg Syndrome. I have had this for several years now.It is the constant feeling of having to move your legs for relief. Relief doesn't come. I take medication for it. RLS is an awful ailment to suffer from. My doctor prescribes a medication called Requip. I take 5mg. The low dose is 2mg.There is also a patch out now. I have tried it but find that the Requip works the best for me. I really feel sorry for you because I know the suffering this causes. I have also read that there might be an Iron deficiancy that leads to Restless Leg Syndrome. I hope you get relief soon.

I had the same problem until my son found this product which is called "Hyland's Leg Cramps". He bought it at Food Lion grocery store, but "Walmart also has it. It is not expensive, and it does do the trick, at least it did for me. It is a tiny plastic bottle with 40 caplets. Just ask the pharmicist. I take 2 pills 2 hours before going to bed when I know my leg's are going to act up. I sure hope this helps you.

roadrouser AT yahoo.com

Could be... sometimes caused by a lack of potassium. Bananas are rich in potassium. Try eating more potassium rich foods.

May 29, 2013 Flag

RLS is one of the most annoying, and stressful things for me. When I go to bed at night say, 9 o'clock, I usually can't fall asleep till 3 am. My hands, feet, and legs keep me awake all night. The feeling is sometimes so uncomfortable for me, I cry.

My doctor thinks I'm crazy, because I'm so young (18). But my mom suffered from it and my father has diabetes. The feeling in my hands is the most uncomfortable for me; it feels almost as if somethings crawling through my fingers. I feel like I have to crack my knuckles every second and shake my hands to stop the feeling. Unfortunately that doesn't work, neither does stretching my legs before bed, or gently massaging my feet. Somebody please help me.

By Christina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm a big fan of People's Pharmacy and this is one of their suggestions for restless legs and it works for me. They say to put a bar of soap under your bottom sheet where your legs rest at night. I go one better and put small motel size bars of soap in my socks to have the soap right next to my legs when I sleep. You can Google People's Pharmacy to get more information.

Please see a new doctor ASAP. What you are describing could be RLS, a vitamin deficiency, an allergy, or even multiple sclerosis. You need to be checked out, not judged. We tend to forget that doctors are simply our employees. A doctor you don't trust, should be fired.

When I was younger than you, I started having RLS. So, age has nothing to do with it. I have found rubbing my legs with Vicks helped a lot. I am 67 now and it still helps.

I do not suffer from RLS but just read an article about it. It was suggested a glass of water drunk just before bed...may make you get up at night to go potty, but that's better than the restlessness. Also I read a good drink of vinegar (I love pickle juice) would help. Just a thought - good luck and God Bless.

May 4, 2011 Flag

Anyone have any advice as to the best way to control nightly bouts of restless leg syndrome? I have recently begun to suffer with spasms, often severe and affecting my whole body. I am type 2 diabetic and need my sleep! I have heard a nightly dose of a couple of teaspoons of Milk of Magnesia could help. Has anyone tried this?

By Mary Lou from Canada

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please check out peoplespharmacy.com. Search "restless leg syndrome".

Some people are helped by a dozen tart cherries and juice every day. Cherries also help the pain of gout. The website is run by a pair of excellent pharmacists who understand that doctors don't know everything, don't have time, and sometimes you can help yourself. I hope you feel better. I need and love my sleep too.

Check side effects of your medications, often this is a side effect. If you can find another medication that will help you but not give you this as a side effect you will win!

You've received a lot of good ideas. Here's another-

Are you taking Metformin for your diabetes? If so, did you know that this medication is one of the major causes of vitamin B12 deficiency? I've heard some people say a B12 deficiency can cause restless leg syndrome. I don't know if it's common for diabetics to be deficient on vit.D/calcium/magnesium also, but they can also cause those symptoms. I'm dx type 2 for 15 months now (with a Dr who didn't tell me about the B12 side effect) & the last 9 months have battled B12,Iron & Vit D deficiency - fortunately I don't have the RSL though.

Look at #5, non-drug treatment

http://www.rls.  age.aspx?pid=543

Please note that leg cramps and restless legs are two different things, so the remedies will probably be different.

I get restless legs at night and I take homeopathic tablets by Hyland's called "Restful Legs". The label says that they relieve: "Leg Jerks, Urge to Move Legs, and Itching, Crawling, Tingling Sensation in Legs". I order mine on-line from Puritan's Pride; however, you might be able to find them in a drugstore or health-food store.

October 6, 2012 Flag

I have twitchy legs at night, my doctor says its not RLS. It seems to start in my lower back and go all the way down my legs, I can feel it in my hips, my groin, my knees, and it's a painful hurt. I personally think it's a nerve problem on one side, but now the other side is acting up as well. If I don't move my legs when they feel they need to move, it seems to "hurt". I sleep on a heating pad (on my hips) and take half a Vicodin every night before bed. It's starting to not help with the Vicodin and heating pad anymore. Any remedies I can try that anyone can think of?

By Trisha H

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I also am prone to twitchy legs and feet along with muscle cramping. Your electrolytes are most likely low. Read the article at the link below which explains electrolytes and what foods and beverages will keep your body in balance. After about a week or two of daily consuming your proper amount of electrolytes you should be fine.

I now wake up just every once in awhile with twitches or cramps because I didn't balance my intake during the day. I don't want to eat in the middle of the night so in a pinch I drink a bit of sports drink, pickle juice or lightly salted water and it goes away in just a few minutes.

If after religiously having your proper electrolytes for at least two weeks you still have the same severity of your current problem then do talk to your doctor about seeing a specialist.

http://www.live  in-electrolytes/

I use a waterbed (70% waveless). I know they are not popular anymore but as waterbed is my answer for all types of aches and pains.

If you can manage to tolerate it, try drinking tonic water before bed. It contains quinine which is used for people who have malaria. It may help and at least can't hurt.

Find another doctor. This certainly sounds like restless leg syndrome to me.

June 18, 2008 Flag

I have one restless leg and it keeps me from falling asleep for hours at night. I have tried meds but didn't like the feeling it gave me. Does anyone know a way to stop the feeling of having to move my leg (one leg)? I would appreciate any help.

az2010 from Easthampton, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a neurologist who is great. He has me taking Requip. The dosage is low enough I can take 4 throughout the day. My case is severe. I have tried Mirapex and others but they caused a side effect of retaining too much fluid which caused swelling. Keep checking with your doctor and find a good neurologist. I have had entensive testing and there is no medical reason for this syndrome. It is suspected to be hereditary and other family members have it also. Good luck.

Hi read in the paper some person had the same problem and drank gartoaid (the sports drink) what the person does is when it starts gets up and drinks a glass and if feeling is not done drinks another. The soap thing does work but some people it bothers their legs in the morning. What the drinks does is put stuff back in your body you lost. Hope it helps Where I got it is from I think Dr. Groff from the reading eagle newspaper

Hi I have suffered from this for years, my dad had it and also my daughter has it. You can take a pain killer and that will give you relief and a good night sleep, but not ideal every night.

Or you can walk round the house a little, this will also give a little relief, but other than that not a lot is going help. I put up with it then when it gets really bad take the pain killer. Lots of people suffer from this and most of them seem to have back problems.

I read on this site that restless legs usually mean that the person is deficient in Folic acid. I bought the Nature Made SuperB-Complex with Folic Acid and vit. C. and have had no RLS since. I suffered for years and at last I finally have relief. I take one tablet after dinner and that seems to do the trick. You must have the B12 with the folic Acid for absorbtion. I now swear by it.

May 18, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have a home remedy for Restless Legs Syndrome? I have a prescription, but tend to build up a resistance to them and need to take a break from them. Unfortunately, there's no sleeping without them. I need help!

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When I discovered that my RLS came from certain foods which turned out to be a "blood allergy" I cut those things( coffee(especially instant), corn, all peppers, everything that had these thing in it) out of my diet, and never had the problem again in 35 years!

Remember though, that there are "Expresso Dark Chocolate" bars, Corn:Oil, margarine, starch, sweeteners, fresh corn, corn meal, corn flour, corn flake cereals, Canned corn which can cause the problem, as well as hemorrhoids, which I also had mostly from the combination of corn/peppers.

Pepper comes in black, white, green/red/yellow/ orange, pepper corns, canned and fresh to grind, so it's not quite that easy to rid one's self of it, but I finally did, now using only a tiny amt.

However, years after eliminating these things from my diet, I also suspect that it's as much the pesticides in those items as not. So, now I'm slowly reintroducing organic versions, one item at a time.

Nowadays the food has less nutrients than ever, and the govt. is adding Mercury to High Fructose Corn Sweetener, according to Mercola.com, which is in most evrything that's the least bit sweet! Learn to read labels.

Suspect the peppers first, corn next, ( or a combination of them both, as in Mexican Foods, or spicy things), caffeine last, or any combination of these, as well as any other thing you may know causes allergic reactions that you eat.

Choose to eat more blandly, not so spicy, greasy, peppery, and see if you don't notice a significant improvement. Also keep in mind that some cough syrups/ "maple syrups" use dextrose (corn sugar) base, so check meds as well, ask your pharmacist for what is the base of each of your RX meds, mostly it's corn starch. Ask if there is any wi/o the corn starch base.

Few environmental allergens cause RLS, so I'd pay close attention to what you are drinking/ eating, and to the ingredients list of all things you buy to consume, with the idea in mind that Mercury is a toxic metal! I don't know WHY the gov. is doing this, but it isn't good!

Try to consume organic fruits, veggies, drinks, and reprogram your mind and refine your habits. It can

be done, I'm living proof. Keep in mind that you may not be allergic to a tiny amt. of these or other items, but may be allergic after consuming to your tolerance level, which you must determine. I was so allergic, that I had to eliminate it all for many years. Good luck and God bless you if yours is allergies. : )

I use the soap also. It works great usually. I also found an OTC medication called Restfull Legs. I disolve one under my tongue and have a good nights sleep.

My script is for 1 tablet at bedtime. On my own I decided to take 1/2 in a.m. 1/2 at bedtime, it works much better.

I use a bar of lavender soap. Lavender soap under the sheet was suggested by Dr Oz on a recent program. I roughen the surface of the bar and then rub the bar on the sole of each foot. I then leave the bar under the sheet during the night. I have found that it works well.

December 28, 2011 Flag

Does anyone have a homemade or natural remedy for restless leg syndrome? I have had RLS for most of my life. Until recently I was taking Requip and was extremely satisfied with how much it helped. About 4 months ago I changed doctors and the new one told me to come off the Requip, along with several other meds I had been taking because she didn't want me on anything she herself didn't prescribe, but she wouldn't prescribe the Requip or anything else for the RLS.

I have since quit that doctor (many reasons) and have gone back on the Requip (my pain doctor gives it to me). However suddenly I can't take it anymore. Whenever I do, I spend the entire night throwing up and the whole next day severely nauseated.

I need something natural or homemade that I can take. Right now I'm back to pacing the floor most of the night and not getting more than a few minutes sleep at a time.

Can anyone help me? I'm desperate!

By Cricket from NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Tonic water has quinine in it that may help. Magnesium helps also.

Actually drinking water helps. Muscles need water and jiggle with dehydration.

Cricket, I don't have RLS but I have always gotten horrible leg and foot cramps (which is also neurological) to where am in excrutiating pain and have to jump out of bed and keep pacing and breathing deeply for quite a few mintes to alleviate. Sadly, the older we get the more it happens :-( Here are things I found out and use now that most certainly help:

Try to stay hydrated (don't go crazy and over hydrate though) and decrease use of substances such as caffeine (including coffee, tea and sodas), alcohol, salt, etc. You also need to find out what medications you take that might dehydrate you! My breathing meds for Emphysema and Asthma cause depletion.

Talk to your doctor and have a blood test done for possible lack of vitamins and minerals. In my case I was low in folate and vitamin B12 because of meds and not enough of certain types of food intake.

Also, make sure you keep a regular sleeping pattern with plenty of sleep. Even though I don't like it (used to be able to get by on four or five hours of sleep and didn't matter what time of day schedule) I make myself go to bed to sleep within an hour or so every day each and every day and sleep for nine to ten hours and I can guarantee it makes a huge difference!

If you feel anxious/stressed then take a relaxing breath and massage your legs or take a hot bath or use a heating pad.

Our similar problems will never go away but we can at least try to find a way to manage them without driving ourselves crazy or worrying about taking yet another prescription medication :-)

The best thing that works for me is putting a bar of bath soap between my sheets at the foot of my bed. Sometimes when my legs feel restless but I'm not ready for bed yet, I take a bar of dry bath soap and rub it up and down in small circles on the back of my calves. I don't know why these remedies work but they do. Give it a try. It can't hurt.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesJanuary 31, 2013
Restless Dog
Tips for Restless Pets
Woman with a Leg Cast
Underwear to Wear with a Leg Cast
Preventing Leg Ulcers
Preventing Leg Ulcers
Woman with a leg cramp.
Remedies for Leg Cramps
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 19, 2017 at 1:09:45 AM on 10.0.1.14 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.