Browsing: Home Remedies for Restless Leg Syndrome

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Home Remedies for Restless Leg Syndrome

Many people who suffer from RLS find relief without prescription medications. This is a guide about home remedies for restless leg syndrome.

woman trying to sleep
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 4, 2013 Flag

I was diagnosed with Restless Leg Syndrome and was given a prescription
which I had several bad side effects from and it was also addicting. So I did not take it long.

I was talking to a friend of mine who told me she also had Restless Leg Syndrome and she took 1 table spoon of apple vinegar cider nightly for years and has not had to take any other medication since for it.

Since I cannot stand the bitter taste I bought some apple cider vinegar tablets and I have not had any more restless nights and I don't have to take it as often now just as needed. They are not expensive. I buy 250 mg - 250 Tablets for $7.39 and they last me a long time. I hope this helps as many of you as well as it has helped me.

December 25, 2013 Flag

Every night my left legs shakes and vibrates. Is that restless leg syndrome? What can I do to make it stop? Please help.

By Andrea

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your symptoms do not sound like the classic RLS symptoms. Generally, with RLS, you voluntarily move your legs because there is an irresistible urge to do so. If your symptoms are causing a great deal of problems, please see a neurologist. He will probably ask you to spend the night in a sleep lab where nerve conduction test will be performed, so as to find the source of your problems. I wish you luck.

Yes you are suffering from Restless Leg Syndrome. I have had this for several years now.It is the constant feeling of having to move your legs for relief. Relief doesn't come. I take medication for it. RLS is an awful ailment to suffer from. My doctor prescribes a medication called Requip. I take 5mg. The low dose is 2mg.There is also a patch out now. I have tried it but find that the Requip works the best for me. I really feel sorry for you because I know the suffering this causes. I have also read that there might be an Iron deficiancy that leads to Restless Leg Syndrome. I hope you get relief soon.

I had the same problem until my son found this product which is called "Hyland's Leg Cramps". He bought it at Food Lion grocery store, but "Walmart also has it. It is not expensive, and it does do the trick, at least it did for me. It is a tiny plastic bottle with 40 caplets. Just ask the pharmicist. I take 2 pills 2 hours before going to bed when I know my leg's are going to act up. I sure hope this helps you.

roadrouser AT yahoo.com

Could be... sometimes caused by a lack of potassium. Bananas are rich in potassium. Try eating more potassium rich foods.

It would be hard to say what is causing your leg to shake. You really need to see a Dr. about this one. It would be bad to assume you have one problem and find out later it is something else, and should have been treated differently.

May 29, 2013 Flag

RLS is one of the most annoying, and stressful things for me. When I go to bed at night say, 9 o'clock, I usually can't fall asleep till 3 am. My hands, feet, and legs keep me awake all night. The feeling is sometimes so uncomfortable for me, I cry.

My doctor thinks I'm crazy, because I'm so young (18). But my mom suffered from it and my father has diabetes. The feeling in my hands is the most uncomfortable for me; it feels almost as if somethings crawling through my fingers. I feel like I have to crack my knuckles every second and shake my hands to stop the feeling. Unfortunately that doesn't work, neither does stretching my legs before bed, or gently massaging my feet. Somebody please help me.

By Christina

I'm a big fan of People's Pharmacy and this is one of their suggestions for restless legs and it works for me. They say to put a bar of soap under your bottom sheet where your legs rest at night. I go one better and put small motel size bars of soap in my socks to have the soap right next to my legs when I sleep. You can Google People's Pharmacy to get more information.

Please see a new doctor ASAP. What you are describing could be RLS, a vitamin deficiency, an allergy, or even multiple sclerosis. You need to be checked out, not judged. We tend to forget that doctors are simply our employees. A doctor you don't trust, should be fired.

When I was younger than you, I started having RLS. So, age has nothing to do with it. I have found rubbing my legs with Vicks helped a lot. I am 67 now and it still helps.

I do not suffer from RLS but just read an article about it. It was suggested a glass of water drunk just before bed...may make you get up at night to go potty, but that's better than the restlessness. Also I read a good drink of vinegar (I love pickle juice) would help. Just a thought - good luck and God Bless.

I took requip for this same thing and it affected my heart in a bad way. Just wanted to share that. Benedryl helped me, and I know how awful it feels to have Restless Leg Syndrome. There are many other suggestions on this site, but first and foremost cut out any aspertame. Also read the answer to this question by Ted on this link, he is quite knowledgeable on things of this nature.

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/restless_legs_questions.html

July 30, 2013 Flag

I'm a 51 year old man and have had Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) for 10 years and in my arms as well on occasion. I've read and surfed the web like you, heard of all the crazy RLS cure ideas but what I found out that works for me was when I stopped all caffeine intake and most sugar intake for just one day and that night, zero RLS.

If you can't do without caffeine and sugar, try the herb Kratom. You can buy it online at a hundred different U.S. websites and it's 100% legal. Kratom has some of the same alkaloids as opiates but not the same effect. It's a nice calming feeling but it also calms RLS. If you ever had a pain med prescription, you might have noticed your RLS had also disappeared. Kratom is a way of getting the alkaloids without the real opiates or need for prescription. Kratom is completely safe, overdoses are impossible but do your own homework to verify my words. Hope this helps.

Editor's Note: Read this Wikipedia entry for more information about the controversial Thai herb Kratom, or Mitragyna speciosa. Please consult with your health care provider before starting any herbal treatments.

May 4, 2011 Flag

Anyone have any advice as to the best way to control nightly bouts of restless leg syndrome? I have recently begun to suffer with spasms, often severe and affecting my whole body. I am type 2 diabetic and need my sleep! I have heard a nightly dose of a couple of teaspoons of Milk of Magnesia could help. Has anyone tried this?

By Mary Lou from Canada

Please check out peoplespharmacy.com. Search "restless leg syndrome".

Some people are helped by a dozen tart cherries and juice every day. Cherries also help the pain of gout. The website is run by a pair of excellent pharmacists who understand that doctors don't know everything, don't have time, and sometimes you can help yourself. I hope you feel better. I need and love my sleep too.

Check side effects of your medications, often this is a side effect. If you can find another medication that will help you but not give you this as a side effect you will win!

You've received a lot of good ideas. Here's another-

Are you taking Metformin for your diabetes? If so, did you know that this medication is one of the major causes of vitamin B12 deficiency? I've heard some people say a B12 deficiency can cause restless leg syndrome. I don't know if it's common for diabetics to be deficient on vit.D/calcium/magnesium also, but they can also cause those symptoms. I'm dx type 2 for 15 months now (with a Dr who didn't tell me about the B12 side effect) & the last 9 months have battled B12,Iron & Vit D deficiency - fortunately I don't have the RSL though.

Look at #5, non-drug treatment

http://www.rls.org/Page.aspx?pid=543

Please note that leg cramps and restless legs are two different things, so the remedies will probably be different.

I get restless legs at night and I take homeopathic tablets by Hyland's called "Restful Legs". The label says that they relieve: "Leg Jerks, Urge to Move Legs, and Itching, Crawling, Tingling Sensation in Legs". I order mine on-line from Puritan's Pride; however, you might be able to find them in a drugstore or health-food store.

I know, leg cramps and restless leg syndrome are NOT the same, However I do know some people (myself included) are helped by placing a small piece of bar soap (I cut a bar of Ivory soap in to 4ths) under the bottom sheet. Give it a try for a week or two.

Cheap and works for many people.

GG Vi

October 6, 2012 Flag

I have twitchy legs at night, my doctor says its not RLS. It seems to start in my lower back and go all the way down my legs, I can feel it in my hips, my groin, my knees, and it's a painful hurt.

Load More
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJanuary 31, 2013
Restless Dog
Tips for Restless Pets
Woman with a Leg Cast
Underwear to Wear with a Leg Cast
Preventing Leg Ulcers
Preventing Leg Ulcers
Woman with a leg cramp.
Remedies for Leg Cramps
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 22, 2016 at 4:07:16 AM on 10.0.2.214 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.