Home Remedies for Trigger Thumb

Category Home Remedies
Trigger thumb can be a very painful condition in which your thumb catches in a bent position and then snaps straight. This is a guide about home remedies for trigger thumb.

Does anyone have a home remedy for trigger thumb?

By Annmarie C.

Check out eHow.com they have good article on it. Exercises, massage and stretches seem to be recommended.

One way to address mild cases of trigger finger is simply to allow the affected finger or thumb to heal. In mild cases, rest of four to six weeks can result in significant improvement. Long-term prevention often entails making changes in your routine.

Consider new ways to do jobs that require less repetitive motion of the fingers and thumb. Along with rest, some doctors recommend a splint that keeps the finger extended for as long as six weeks. This aids in resting the joint and prevents involuntary bending of the finger during such activities as sleep.

Doctors sometimes prescribe one way to address mild cases of trigger finger is simply to allow the affected finger or thumb to heal.

In mild cases, rest of four to six weeks can result in significant improvement. Long-term prevention often entails making changes in your routine. Consider new ways to do jobs that require less repetitive motion of the fingers and thumb.

Along with rest, some doctors recommend a splint that keeps the finger extended for as long as six weeks. This aids in resting the joint and prevents involuntary bending of the finger during such activities as sleep. Doctors sometimes prescribe finger exercises, massage and heat treatments such as soaking the finger in warm water. All help you keep your finger mobile.

If mild treatment does not work, doctors sometimes recommend anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen that relieve inflammation and swelling in the tendon sheath of the affected finger. Steroids such as cortisone also can be used to reduce inflammation of the sheath and its lubricating fluid.e finger exercises, massage and heat treatments such as soaking the finger in warm water.

All help you keep your finger mobile. If mild treatment does not work, doctors sometimes recommend anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen that relieve inflammation and swelling in the tendon sheath of the affected finger. Steroids such as cortisone also can be used to reduce inflammation of the sheath and its lubricating fluid.

I had to have surgery on mine. Doctor never recommended exercises but mine was pretty severe.

Years ago I was diagnosed as having trigger thumb. My doctor gave me a cortisone injection which seems to help but about a year later the pain that goes along with trigger thumb returned as well as the no warning projection of the thumb appeared.

When I returned to the doctor for a follow up visit he told me that they do not like to give more than one cortisone injection in that area as the skin is very thin & the cortisone could cause more thinning of the skin. He recommended I have surgery which I did have.

It has been about 8 years since then & the problem has never returned. I wish you well.