Homemade Almond Extract

Can someone tell me how to make homemade almond extract?

Homemade Almond Extract

I'm trying to make Almond Extract according to the rules of Vanilla extract. I crushed up some Almonds and put them into some Vodka and plan to let it sit for several months. I have no idea if this is going to work or not, but it's fun to at least try. I'm working on making Orange, Lemon, Hazelnut, Almond, Ginger, Vanilla, and Cinnamon extracts.

During the fall season we have tons of Hickory and Black Walnuts that drop their fruits like crazy and so I'll probably be making both Hickory and Black Walnut extracts if I see that the other nut extracts have worked out. Also, I grow herbs in the garden and will try to make extracts using Mint, Oregano, Rosemary, Lemon Balm and Lavender.

7 months ago I started a Vanilla Extract process using Madagascar Vanilla bean and Everclear - later learning that Everclear probably wasn't the best choice, but, after making some banana Nut Bread using that extract, I see that it still turned out well. I felt inspired after reading so many different articles about which alcohol to use for the extraction base that I now have three different kinds of Vanilla Extract going Using Madagascar Vanilla Bean for each different liquor, I am using Dark Rum (because instinctively I thought it might turn out sweeter, though I have no clue for sure!), Vodka and Brandy.

I want to taste test each in various baked goods to see which one I prefer for which food item. It's just a lot fun. :) The main thing I am hoping to do is to make Christmas baskets in 2009 using the many different extracts, for all my family and friends. Vanilla Sugar, Vanilla Coffee, Vanilla Extract, Orange Extract, Lemon Extract, Ginger, Cinnamon, Hazelnut and Almond, Black Walnut and Hickory Nut...as well as some of the herbs I have in my garden like Onion Extract and Garlic Extract, Oregano and Mint extracts. All this can be done using alcohol and will make attractive gift baskets.

I'm having a ball with all of this and I think that's probably most of the point. My thing is that I am learning how to do things the way they were done before life was about convenience. There was once a time when there weren't stores to run to to get what we wanted...we had to make do with knowing how to be self sufficient with what nature had available. That is my goal. :) Take care all. (02/23/2009)

By merginglight

Homemade Almond Extract

I don't think that is going to work, Merginglight, because you have to use bitter almonds. The kind of almonds that people usually eat are sweet almonds. In order to get that almond extract flavor, you need to use bitter almonds. BTW, the almond extract flavor is actually a toxin, but it is only dangerous in large quantities. I am going to try using peach pits, though, because they have that same flavor as almond extract. (09/10/2009)

By Migillicutty

Homemade Almond Extract
bowl of shredded coconut
Making Almond Joy Bars
Homemade vanilla extract in a glass bottle.
Making Vanilla Extract
Making Homemade Almond Extract
Substitution for Almond Extract