Homemade Cream Of Tomato Soup

I would like to get a recipe for Cream of Tomato Soup. Made with canned tomatoes not fresh tomatoes. Thanks in advance.

Redskin. from Brockville, Ontario, Canada

Homemade Cream Of Tomato Soup

I don't really have a recipe, but you can combine the drained, chopped canned tomatoes, tomato juice and heavy cream in proportions that taste good to you. I like to add grated Parmesan cheese and a small amount of dried Italian seasoning. (07/22/2008)

By ChloeA

Homemade Cream Of Tomato Soup

I was born in Brockville General Hospital, in 1945! Small world.

By Tena in Tahsis

Homemade Cream Of Tomato Soup

This is my favorite cream of tomato soup I discovered while trying to copy one I had in a restaurant a few years ago.

• 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, include juice
  • 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 tsp onion salt
  • 2 Tb white sugar
  • 1/4 tsp soda
  • 2 Tb butter
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk (or cream)
In saucepan bring all ingredients except milk (or cream) to a boil. Add milk (or cream) and heat to desired serving temperature, but do not boil. Add more milk or seasonings to taste. (07/22/2008)

By bturner

Homemade Cream Of Tomato Soup

Compliments of the Tightwad Gazette plus one of my 2 cents.

• 1 6oz. can of tomato paste
  • 24 oz of milk
  • 1 tsp celery salt
  • 1 tsp italian seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1.5 tbs of flour
  • 1/8 cup of water

Put tomato paste (cheapest at Aldi's) into pan over medium heat, using the can as a measure, whisk in 4 can-fuls of the milk. (plus this loosens the stuck on paste so you can squeeze it all out!).

Blend. Combine flour and water in a cup and make a slurry. Add to pan. Add your seasonings. Heat until thickened. Delicious. Could leave out the Italian seasoning and it would probably taste less like pizza.
But hey I like pizza!

PS For extra spice add some crushed red pepper. Or even a sprinkle of garlic powder. You can also make soup using tomato sauce and milk too. (07/22/2008)

By mommamoody

Homemade Cream Of Tomato Soup

• (2) 14 oz. can chopped tomatoes
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup or more extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 small carrot, diced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves or 2 tsp. dried
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream, more or less to taste

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Strain the chopped canned tomatoes, reserving the juices, and spread onto a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, to taste, drizzle with olive oil and roast until caramelized, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat some olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion and garlic; cook until softened, about 10 minutes.

Add the roasted chopped canned tomatoes, reserved tomato juices, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter.

Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add basil and cream, if using. Puree with a hand held immersion blender until smooth.

Suggested tips:

• Use plum tomatoes.
  • Use low salt broth.

Homemade Cream Of Tomato Soup

Thank You People. I'll be trying these recommendations from you all. I'm just trying to find my Mom's recipe. She always made this soup with canned tomatoes. And it was the best! Just want that taste of home once again. Thanks again! (07/23/2008)

By redskin.

Homemade Cream Of Tomato Soup

You guys are awesome. With the economy this way I was trying to see in my cabinet what I had, and I have to say it is not a lot. My garden tomatoes aren't red yet and in the cabinet. I have a bunch of sauce and paste and diced tomatoes, bread and cheese. The kids wanted tomato soup and grilled cheese and I took a chance that there might be a recipe here. You guys rock. (08/29/2008)

Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Cream of Tomato Soup Recipes
Jar of hand cream with flowers and woman's hands applying cream in the background.
Homemade Hand Cream Recipes
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Freezing Tomato Soup
A bowl of tomato soup with crackers.
Tomato Soup Recipes