Homemade Gift Boxes
Gift boxes for all occasions can be created from a variety of materials. This guide contains ideas for homemade gift boxes
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
During Christmas time, it is always difficult to find ways to stretch the budget. I enjoy handing out small presents. To me, this is a way of sharing the joy of Christmas and spreading some cheer all around. Just giving a handmade bar of soap doesn't sound like much, but if the soap is packed into a box with a nicely decorated lid, it will certainly add more meaning to the term "it is the thought that counts."
Approximate Time: 30 minutes
- 1 riffled cardboard box
- 3 to 5 small skeleton leaves
- a selection of small artificial paper flowers
- 15 to 20 brown seed beads
- 1 small decorative brown butterfly
- 3D self-adhesive foam squares
- a pair of standard scissors
- quick-drying glue
- brown paper, cut into thin strips
- a handmade bar of soap
- Using the skeleton leaves, start making a "flower arrangement" on the lid of the box. Use the 3D self-adhesive foam squares instead of glue.
- Now add the white arum lilies, the small brown roses, and the small green-white flowers to the arrangement, again using 3D self-adhesive foam squares instead of glue.
- Finish it off by adding a few seed beads to the arrangement. Use the quick-drying glue to fix them to the "arrangement." Remember to use only a small drop of glue for each seed bead. Use a pair of tweezers to make the task easier.
- Add the butterfly as a finishing touch. Use the quick-drying glue.
- Fill the box with cut strips of brown paper, and then add the handmade soap bar to the box.
By BessieBessie from Pretoria, Gauteng
I was wanting a small inexpensive thank you gift for the young girl who had helped me at physical therapy. So, I came up with this "hugs and kisses basket". I had the container left from buying my husband some nuts and bolts from Dollar Tree. The only thing I had to purchase was the candy. There's plenty left over for more "baskets".
- plastic container with lid and handle
(These come stacked in two containers topped with one lid.)
- plastic or acrylic paint, black and white
- round piece of poster board to fit top of lid
I used black.
- paint marker
- small piece of ribbon
- craft glue
- Hershey's Hugs and Kisses (about five each)
- Clean the container well with soapy water and allow to dry.
- Paint bottom of container with white paint. I use a sponge, it gives it a more textured look and you don't have to worry so much about it covering.
- When white paint is dry make black dots by dipping a pencil eraser in your paint and pressing firmly onto surface. Set aside to dry. If you are not using plastic paint, you'll need to spray the container with some sort of clear sealer.
- Write "Hugs and Kisses" on your round circle of poster board with the paint marker. Allow to dry.
- Glue this to the top of your lid.
- Tie on ribbon.
- You can add shredded paper as a filler or fill the entire container with kisses.
By Artlady from Edmond, OK
When you open up a gift, for any occasion, save the box. When you open up a box of food, save the box. These are the rectangle boxes that oatmeal cookies come in. You can cut them in half and these boxes can be turned into the most charming little gift boxes for children to give gifts in, or even adults!
Approximate Time: 30 minutes or less
- glue sticks
- tissue paper
- box from a gift or a food box
- pipe cleaner for handle
- paper to hide pictures on box
- hole punch or Phillips head screwdriver
- Take your rectangular shaped box and cut it in half.
- Cut out paper to fit on each side of box. Glue paper on.
- Glue pieces of torn tissue paper on the paper, all around the box.
- Punch a hole on either side of the box for attaching pipe cleaner to make a handle. You could use the Phillips head screwdriver to punch a hole if you don't have a hole punch.
- Attach pipe cleaner on each side and make sure there are no sharp ends on the pipe cleaner that are not turned under.
- I didn't attach a ribbon to mine, but it would be a cute extra touch if you wanted to.
- Put photos, gifts, or candy in these, and they are so homemade and cute, anyone would love to receive one!
By Robin F. from TN
I received a gift in this adorable box. I couldn't bring myself to throw it away. And after looking at it closely, decided I could make one myself with supplies I already had on hand.
Simply take apart the one you want to recreate. Now use it as a template for your new one. I chose a similarly patterned cardstock, but any thick paper would do.
With the folds clearly defined on the template, it was easy to mark the folds on the new one.
For the handle, I used a stiff shoelace instead of the wire handle you see on food containers of the same design. But you could use whatever you like or have around the house.
I think it turned out great and will make more when I need them. I'm keeping my template in a file I have especially set aside for that purpose.
By Gloria from western NY
I bought the boxes at the dollar store and thought to myself that even though they were pretty I thought they could use some sparkle. I had some leftover beads from making Christmas ornaments so I decided to sparkle up my boxes.
For a quick and easy gift box for a small item, why not make your own. There are a number of templates on the internet that can give you an idea of dimensions, or you can take apart a box you have and figure it yourself.
December 12, 20161 found this helpful
This is a guide about making a recycled glamour gift box. Recycle a round cardboard box into a beautiful gift box to fill with small seasonal or special occasion gifts.
April 27, 20161 found this helpful
A homemade gift box for your valentine can take many forms, but they will all express your love. This is a guide about making a Valentine's Day gift box.
October 20, 20151 found this helpful
This is a guide about making a melting snowman gift box. The whole family can have fun helping with this project making these cute boxes for Christmas gifts.
July 24, 20141 found this helpful
Paper folding is a craft that can be tailored to all age groups. Boxes are a good place to start. This is a guide about making folded paper gift boxes.
February 8, 20011 found this helpful
Here's some instructions for making your own treasure box to give as a Valentine's Day gift or for other occasions.Read More...
January 2, 20170 found this helpful
Starting with a heart shaped box and adding pretty decorations makes a nice container for a special gift. This is a guide about sweetheart gift box.
October 28, 20040 found this helpful
I use the boxes that come from Cereal, Macaroni, Taco Shells or any box with a clean, interior to make wrapped gift boxes. Remove wax paper liner if there is one. Carefully undo the glued end flaps. Flatten box...Read More...
January 3, 20170 found this helpful
This is a guide about making a paper cup gift box. This cute paper cup gift box will delight whoever receives it.
December 13, 20160 found this helpful
This is a guide about making a shirt and tie gift pocket. Perfect wrapping idea for your favorite man.