Homemade Gift Boxes

Gift boxes for all occasions can be created from a variety of materials. This guide contains ideas for homemade gift boxes.

Homemade Heart Gift Boxes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Christmas is a time for sharing small gifts with family, friends and neighbors. It is a time to spread some cheer and good will. Turn an old cardboard box into a glamorous box. Fill it with a thoughtful gift, such as chocolates or a homemade jar of jam.

decorative gift box

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a Valentine's Day gift box. A homemade gift box for your valentine can take many forms, but they will all express your love.

Making a Valentine's Day Gift Box

Fabric Box with ribbon tiesThese make nice storage boxes for cotton wool, hairbands, etc. Fabric Box with ribbon ties

Approximate Time: Approximately 1 hour

• material
  • sewing machine
  • 1 metre of ribbon
  • strong card

Instructions:

1. Cut 5 squares of card, for this box I used 5" squares, but you can make them any size you wish. I tend to do a set of 3 boxes in graduating sizes.

2. Cut material into a cross shape allowing 1/4" seam allowance. Plaid fabric cut into a plus sign shape

3. Cut ribbon into 8 equal lengths and tuck inside the 2 pieces of material, with the long end inside. Ribbons pinned to plaid fabric

4. Sew around all sides leaving one side open.

5. Turn piece out ensuring corners are pushed out.

6. Insert a piece of card into each square and then close gap with small stitches. Cardboard being put into fabric sleave

7. Bring each side up and tie ribbons to make a box.

By Sue from Bristol, UK

Here is a cute family project. Start making these gift boxes well in advance for Christmas. Use them to pack small gifts or stocking fillers for family, colleagues, or neighbors. The kids can also make them to pack a small gift for their favorite teacher. However you decide to use them, just have fun!

finished gift box

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Finished shirt and tie gift package.This shirt case is perfect for a handkerchief or necktie. Write a message on a small label or card and place inside the case.

Approximate Time: 15 minutes

• 8 1/2x11 inch lightweight cardstock
  • patterned paper
  • glue
  • pencil
  • ruler
  • craft knife
  • scissors
  • finished size: 4x10 3/8 inches

Instructions:

1. Make a pocket from lightweight cardstock.
  2. Snip the upper edge of pocket at the front center, 1 inch long. Then fold to make a collar.
  3. Using a pencil, draw a necktie shape from patterned paper. Cut it out.
  4. For added dimension, trace the top part of the necktie; trim and glue on top of that.
  5. Glue the necktie to the case and then glue the collar.
Adding tie to main part of packaging.

Note: You can adapt the design to create a shirt bag. You can also use various types of paper such as scrapbooking paper or wrapping paper.

By Maricel from Fairfax, VA

Paper Craft Gift Set

Paper Craft Gift Set

Design a card and gift tag by cutting flowers from your decorative paper. Create a coordinating basket to make it a wonderful gift.

Materials:

• cardstock: white
  • patterned papers: floral and stripe
  • adhesive rhinestones
  • pink satin ribbon
  • double-sided tape
  • glue stick
  • hot glue
  • decorative edge scissors
  • scissors
  • hole punch
  • bone folder
  • paper trimmer

Instructions:

1. Fold 10 x 5 1/2 inch rectangle from white cardstock to create the card blank.
  2. Trim the bottom edge using decorative edge scissors and punch holes on each scallop.
  3. Cut a 5 1/2 inch x 1 1/2 inch of stripe patterned paper. Adhere to the bottom of card with double-sided tape.
  4. Using scissors, cut flowers from floral patterned paper and arrange them on the card. When you are happy with the arrangement, glue in place.
  5. Next, embellish the trimmed flowers with adhesive rhinestones.
  6. Hot glue the pink satin bow centrally onto the stripe patterned paper, as a final touch.

Tag:

1. To make the tag, cut a 3 inch x 2 1/4 inch from the same cardstock as you are using for the card. Punch hole on one side of the tag.
  2. Decorate using the same materials as the card. Thread the tag with a length of pink satin ribbon, then finish the end with a bow.
Basket.

Treat Basket:

1. Print out basket pattern. Size as needed.
  2. Trace pattern onto white cardstock.
  3. Cut out on the lines. Score and fold all solid lines.
  4. Apply adhesive to the "A" tabs and glue to the side marked with a "B".
  5. Tape the edge of handle "C" and secure it to handle "D". Note: You may want to trim the handle using decorative scissors.
  6. Decorate as desired and fill with treats.
Card, tag, and basket.

By Maricel

Wrapping a gift is just as important as the gift itself. Paper roses, pearl sticker, pink stripe paper, and ribbon were used to create this sweet little gift box.

Sweetheart Gift Box

During Christmas time, it is always difficult to find ways to stretch the budget. I enjoy handing out small presents. To me, this is a way of sharing the joy of Christmas and spreading some cheer all around.

Handmade soap box decorated with small flowers.

I was wanting a small inexpensive thank you gift for the young girl who had helped me at physical therapy. So, I came up with this "hugs and kisses basket". I had the container left from buying my husband some nuts and bolts from Dollar Tree.

Gift box completed.

I bought the boxes at the dollar store and thought to myself that even though they were pretty I thought they could use some sparkle. I had some leftover beads from making Christmas ornaments so I decided to sparkle up my boxes.

Jeweled Gift Boxes

When you open up a gift, for any occasion, save the box. When you open up a box of food, save the box. You can cut them in half and these boxes can be turned into the most charming little gift boxes for children to give gifts in, or even adults!

Handmade Gift Box 1

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For a quick and easy gift box for a small item, why not make your own. There are a number of templates on the internet that can give you an idea of dimensions, or you can take apart a box you have and figure it yourself.

I took one that would work on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper to make two box tops. I added some clip art and the "gift tag" all in the text, and printed it out on card stock. I just cut the sheet in half, scored on the folding lines with a letter opener, and folded in the sides, taping the ends with scotch tape. For the bottom I just scored a blank half sheet of paper - just inside the lines for the cover to make it a bit smaller, and folded it up the same way.

For Christmas I did these, I had made beaded zipper pulls for everyone - and just wrapped them in tissue inside the boxes. No other wrapping needed.

By Regina from Rochester, NY

Editor's Note: Regina has also provided a PDF of the box template so you can print it out if you like. Click here to download it.

New box based on template.I received a gift in this adorable box. I couldn't bring myself to throw it away. And after looking at it closely, decided I could make one myself with supplies I already had on hand.

Simply take apart the one you want to recreate. Now use it as a template for your new one. I chose a similarly patterned cardstock, but any thick paper would do. Chinese takeout style gift box, opened flat.

With the folds clearly defined on the template, it was easy to mark the folds on the new one.

For the handle, I used a stiff shoelace instead of the wire handle you see on food containers of the same design. But you could use whatever you like or have around the house.

I think it turned out great and will make more when I need them. I'm keeping my template in a file I have especially set aside for that purpose.

By Gloria from western NY New box based on template.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Paper folding is a craft that can be tailored to all age groups. Boxes are a good place to start. This is a guide about making folded paper gift boxes.

folded paper box

These fabric covered boxes make great gifts filled with treats. Watch this video and learn how easy it is to make them.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use the boxes that come from Cereal, Macaroni, Taco Shells or any box with a clean, interior. Remove wax paper liner if there is one. Carefully undo the glued end flaps. Flatten box.

Take your paper, cut it so that it will reach around flattened box and just long enough to cover the end tabs. Leave about 1/2" at sides, to use to glue. On one end of paper, glue underside of paper to box. Then glue the other side down. I use a glue stick for all of the sealing.

Open the box, cut away paper to match tabs, glue one end closed. Insert gift and then glue other end. You now have a easily wrapped free box and have saves on wrapping paper too.

Gladys Hill

Here's some instructions for making your own treasure box to give as a Valentine's Day gift or for other occasions.

Needed Items:

• small cardboard gift type box, cigar box, or jewelry box
  • yarn
  • felt or other fabric scraps
  • scissors
  • glue
  • aluminum foil

Turn a small box into a Treasure Box for someone special.

Directions:

1. Cut yarn into different lengths. Glue the yarn on the sides and top of the box in a pattern or design: hearts, diamonds, zigzags, curvy lines, or spirals.
  2. Tie several knots in a piece of yarn and glue the yarn along the edges of the lid or box to give the look of nails or bolts. Be careful not to glue yarn on the top edges of the box where the lid will fit.
  3. Crumple pieces of aluminum foil and smooth pieces back out. Spread glue on the box and the lid. Place one piece of foil on the box and one on the lid. Press the foil against the surface of the box and lid with your finger. Push the foil on and around the yarn designs. It will make the foil look like embossed silver. Cut off the excess foil.
  4. Cut a piece of colorful felt to lay inside the box. If you are using other fabric, take a piece of cardboard and cover the front side with the fabric gluing the edges to the back. Put the nice side up. Glass gems can also be attached with glue.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts MiscellaneousFebruary 21, 2012
Making a Cigar Box Purse
Making a Cigar Box Purse
Cigars in a Box
Craft Ideas for Cigar Boxes
Candy Gift Boxes
Uses for Candy Gift Boxes
Cigars in a Box
Uses for Cigar Boxes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 29, 2016 at 7:03:46 PM on 10.0.2.93 in 813 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.