Making a Valentine's Day Gift Box

A homemade gift box for your valentine can take many forms, but they will all express your love. This is a guide about making a Valentine's Day gift box.

Heart-shaped boxes in which to present a Valentine cookie or other treat.

Approximate Time: 10 minutes

Instructions:

1. Using the diagram as an example, draw a template the desired size.

2. Cut two of these heart-shaped pieces from the fronts of recycled cards.

3. Fold each piece along dotted lines to create a flange.

4. Glue the front to the back along these flanges.

5. Punch holes in the top for ribbon.

6. Insert a heart-shaped cookie, thread ribbon through holes and tie in a bow.

By Preserver from Manitoba

This is a different way to send a special kiss. I made a new box for these Bacio chocolates (bacio means kiss in Italian).

I've disassembled the original box and used it as template to draw the new one in cardboard. Then I decorated the box with punched flowers and a small sentence made with die-cuts letters. The sentence is in Portuguese (my mother language) but in English means something like "Because only one is too little, I'll give you many."

This was just a "regular" surprise, but you can do something like this for Valentine's Day.

By Orquidea from Porto, Portugal

A Chinese box that I bought on clearance after Christmas for a quarter becomes a sweet valentine box.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

Instructions:

1. I got 4 of these adorable polka dotted Chinese takeout boxes for a dollar. I printed off some free digital stamps and colored them in with coloring pencils.
  2. Ad

3. I put them on the box and the box lid and then added pink lace.
  4. I filled them with coordinating tissue paper and chocolates and I had an extremely affordable gift for four people.
  5. 1 dollar for 4 boxes and 3 dollars for candy. 1 dollar for tissue paper. Total cost per each gift. 1.25

By Christi from Paducah, KY

I had a ceramic, heart-shaped, box that I bought at the dollar store years ago but didn't like the color of it. I decided to decoupage over the design using blue and white printed napkins. It gave new life to the box, and I was pleased with the results.

Approximate Time: About 1 hour

Instructions:

1. Clean your glass or ceramic item using alcohol to remove any grease or residue.
  2. Begin by pulling apart the napkins so that you have a single-ply with the printed design.
  3. Tear or cut the printed napkin into small one-inch pieces.
  4. Using a small paint brush, brush some Mod Podge (decoupage medium) onto the ceramic dish and place a piece of napkin over it. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge over the piece, being careful not to tear it. Repeat until entire ceramic piece is covered.
  5. Allow to dry completely.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

Here's a gift I made for a friend for this Valentine's Day.

I purchased an inexpensive box from the craft store and painted it with salmon pink acrylic paint. To give it a "whitewashed" look, I lightly brushed some off-white acrylic paint over the pink and sprayed with gloss to seal it.

I glued felt on the inside bottom and shirt buttons in a heart shape on top (my friend is cute as a button after all). :)

By Laura from Long Beach, CA