Homemade Glass and Window Cleaners

• 1 part vinegar
  • 1 part alcohol
  • 1 part water

Directions:

Combine in a spray bottle. This can be used on windows, mirrors, appliances, faucets, etc. I find that it works better (read: less streaking) than store bought.

By Leann

Answers:

Homemade Glass Cleaner

I use regular rubbing alcohol and white distilled vinegar. (09/30/2004)

By Leann

Window Cleaning Solutuion

The best mixture for cleaning windows is 1/2 cup of ammonia, 1 cup of white vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch in a bucket of warm water.

(10/29/2004)

By Peggy

Homemade Glass Cleaner

I use 2 tablespoons ammonia, 1 cup rubbing alcohol, and 4 cups water. Mix together, put in a spray bottle and you are ready to clean those windows! Cheap! (10/30/2004)

By hugmehugs

Homemade Glass Cleaner

If you have thermal pane windows, don't use ammonia. It discolors the windows (turns them purple). A Pella window installer shared this with us. (10/30/2004)

By bronda

Homemade Glass and Window Cleaners

We buy gallon jugs of windshield washer fluid when it's on sale and pour it into a spray bottle as needed. It works like a charm and is cheap! (11/05/2004)

By Songbird100

Homemade Glass and Window Cleaners

I use 1 tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda per 1/2 gallon of warm water for all windows in the house and the cars. They stay clean longer, no streaking, and this gets rid of smoke stains/oil. (11/26/2004)

Using Alcohol Instead of Window Cleaner

Instead of buying expensive window cleaners I found rubbing alcohol works best. I fill up an empty squirt bottle from the dollar store with alcohol and start cleaning. It leaves windows, mirrors, and chrome streak free and clean (plus it costs a lot less!)

(11/28/2004)

By KimS

Homemade Glass and Window Cleaners

Use straight vinegar in a spray bottle. It leaves no streaks and chrome comes shiny like new. (12/10/2004)

By Shirli

Homemade Glass and Window Cleaners

Vinegar added with very warm water and crumpled up newspaper work just as well.
Happy Holidays.

(12/18/2004)

By Mary

Homemade Glass and Window Cleaners

Windshield washer fluid sounds good, but read the warning on the label. Some contain methanol not alcohol and may be a danger to use indoors. (02/22/2005)

By Tom

Glass Cleaner

3/4 cup of rubbing alcohol to 1/4 cup of water makes for an excellent glass cleaner. It is great for mirrors, chrome, and countertops, too.

(03/16/2005)

By Crystal

Window Cleaning Recipe

Wash windows with the following recipe:

• 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 1/2 cup ammonia
  • 2 tablespoons corn starch

Mix these three ingredients in one gallon of hot water.

(04/01/2005)

By truerblue

Homemade Glass and Window Cleaners

Just an FYI, I don't think windshield washer fluid should be used indoors either and where I live, it is "not" cheap. (07/29/2007)

By Maryeileen

Homemade Glass and Window Cleaners

As a professional window cleaner for over 30 years, let me tell you from experience and experimentation; newspapers or vinegar are "not" the best choices for home made window cleaning solution. I've tried them all extensively.

Most window cleaners use a few drops of Dawn or Joy dish washing soap in a bucket of water. If you want to use as a spray, add some alcohol, rubbing alcohol works, but is not the best choice. For wind shield washer fluid add more alcohol to prevent freezing, not an issue if you don't have freezing weather.

It's not the chemical that produces the streak-free clean window it's the training, practice, skill, and techniques of the professional that make the difference. Professional tools also help. But why waste your hard-earned free time cleaning windows? It's easy to hire a pro, just look up window cleaners in the YP or Google "window cleaners (+your location"and spend that free time doing something you enjoy)!
(06/08/2008)

By Steve

Cleaning Windows
Homemade Window and Glass Cleaner Recipes
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
A bottle of window cleaner containing vinegar and cornstarch.
Cornstarch and Vinegar Window Cleaner Recipe
Man cleaning the oven.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Recipes
🎄