Homemade Gravy Recipes

Category Sauces
Homemade Gravy on Mashed Potatoes
Gravy is a wonderful addition to many meals. This guide contains homemade gravy recipes.

For more nutrition, I use bean liquid remaining after cooking beans to replace water when making gravy. I use 2 Tbsp. butter, 2 Tbsp. flour, and 1 1/2 to 2 cups bean liquid. In pan stir flour into melted butter, cook til bubbly - the browner the better. Add bean liquid slowly and keep stirring until thickened.

Source: www.CookforGood.com

By Dianne from Upstate NY

This is so easy to make and goes well with meat loaves, fried liver, savoury meatballs or my personal favourite, Salisbury Steak. If I have them on hand, I'll add a few sliced mushrooms to the gravy.

If you've already cooked your meat, use the same skillet for making the gravy.

Total Time: 15 minutes

Yield: about 2 cups

• 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
  • 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup skim milk powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper

1. Heat butter or margarine in skillet (see note below). Add onions and stir over low heat until they are limp but not brown, about 5 minutes.
  2. Ad
  3. Sprinkle flour into pan and stir to blend. Remove from heat and add water then stir in milk powder, salt and pepper. Return to medium heat and stir until boiling, thickened and smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.

My mom used to make a ground beef gravy, but it was not a dark or white gravy. I would consider it a 'clear' gravy, and quite basic. Maybe some juice from browned hamburger, onion, garlic, water? It was not a thick gravy, but not completely runny either, from what I remember. She would make this meat gravy and put it on mashed potatoes. Anyone have any suggestions? (This was back in the late 60's early 70's and used as budget-wise main meal.) Thank you.

Steve from Redlands, CA

We called this hamburger gravy. Just brown the meat with seasonings of your choice, and chopped onion. Add water or broth and simmer. Thicken with cornstarch which will keep the gravy clear or with a flour water paste. Serve over mashed potatoes or toast.

Depending on the quantity you want

1 boullion cube, 1 cup water bring to boiling

1/2 cup cold water, stir in a heaping teaspoon of cornstarch and stir into the boiling mixture until thickened

for a larger amount add additional boullion cubes plus water

and increase the amount of cornstarch in the 1/2 c. water

makes a light brown, clear gravy of medium thickest

ajust the amount of cornstarch to change the thickest

can use beef, chicken or vegetable boullion depending on what you are using it on.

She may have used cornstarch to thicken rather than flour.

Use a beef boullion cube, 1 cup of water, 1 Tablespoon of corn starch and stir until thickened. This is the basic brown gravy mixture...you need not add salt as the boullion cube is salty. You could add some onion juice or some garlic juice or pepper for futher seasoning.

I think she used the drippings from the skillet, then added some water or beef broth and thickened it with a little cornstarch. Try it!

Drain fat from pan. Add back in about two tablespoons. Add to 1 cup COLD water about 1 tbsp. corn starch. "Scrape" the bottom of the pan well to get up all the drippings possible. Stir constantly over medium heat. When the liquid comes to a boil it will be somewhat thick, but fairly clear. If you want more that a cup, then add 1 cup beef broth mixed w/ 1 tbsp. corn starch for each additional cup of gravy desired. Note: Making gravy is the very LAST thing that you do in meal preparation. If you are browning bread, put the bread in the oven, then make the gravy.

Drain fat from pan. Add back in about two tablespoons. Add to 1 cup COLD water about 1 tbsp. corn starch. Put in pan. "Scrape" the bottom of the pan well to get up all the drippings possible. Stir constantly over medium heat. When the liquid comes to a boil it will be somewhat thick, but fairly clear. If you want more that a cup, then add 1 cup beef broth mixed w/ 1 tbsp. corn starch for each additional cup of gravy desired. Note: Making gravy is the very LAST thing that you do in meal preparation. If you are browning bread, put the bread in the oven, then make the gravy.

Steve,

To our family clear gravy is the best.

I can beef cubes in plain water by the pressure canning method and then when I want beef and gravy I open the jar and thicken the beef liquid with a little cornstarch and cook until it thickens a bit.

You could also make clear gravy by using the broth from a cut of meat that you have slowly simmered. To further clarify meat broth you can strain it through a coffee pot paper filter.Add your own seasonings as you like, salt, pepper, etc.

Sounds like your Mom made "Shepherd's Pie" - brown ground beef and onions - drain grease off - add water to cover the ground beef and add 1 beef buillion cube. Cook over medium heat until water cooks down and cube dissolved - stir mixture (you can decide how much of the water you want to keep). I don't use any other seasonings. Cover the meat with mashed potatoes and serve right from the pan. I use a large non-slotted spoon and scoop a big helping - then when putting on a plate I flip it over so ground beef and gravy are on the top w/potatoes on bottom. My English friend put peas and carrots in hers. I sometimes drain the liquid into another container and set aside to make sure I have enough of the "gravy" - Then just enjoy.

sounds like red eye gravy. my mom made it all the time for my dad. just pan drippings and sometimes would put cold coffee in and it would make it darker. try it. it was clear except for the brown color from ddrippings or coffee

red eye gravy from about.com i searched it online.

INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons margarine

1 slice of ham, about 1/4-inch thick

2 tablespoons strong, brewed, black coffee

4 tablespoons water

PREPARATION:

Melt margarine in skillet and fry ham until done. Remove ham to a platter and keep warm. Add coffee and water to the fat; bring to a boil. Serve gravy with the ham and grits.

For a large slice of ham or two slices, double amount of liquid.

Serves 2 to 4.

Cornstarch is the answer. It's fun to watch it thicken and become clear. Flour will make great gravy, too, but it's cloudy. I leave my drippings in the pan, put cornstarch in a glass and add water to it, mix it well and stir it into the drippings. Bring the liquid to a simmer and stir when the gravy begins to thicken. Depending on how you seasoned the meat, you might need to add salt, pepper or whatever spices you like to the gravy.

Steve, you need to mix the cornstarch with COLD water before you add it to your pan.

We had something similar. Mom used to use chicken stock, let it simmer awhile and thicken it to your liking with flour & water shook up in a jar. Or cornstarch & water or cool broth. We usually had it with diced onions and a can of peas /w carrots added.

But it's your call, later, >>>-----> redskin.

Cornstarch will make it a clear gravy. Flour will make it more White. Hope this works for you.

I was told years ago from a good cook - always add two flavours to your gravy ie chicken/ beef - I have used this for years found it delicious turkey/beef - experiment & enjoy

I love the gravy that is served in Chinese restaurants when I order egg foo young. Would anyone have the recipe? Thank you.

By Kathy from Sylvania, OH

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I am a vegetarian and now that Thanksgiving is coming along, I suddenly thought, "Wait a second, what should I do about gravy this year?" I haven't had gravy ever since I've become a vegetarian. I guess I just want some gravy that doesn't contain any animal products. So if you have a really yummy vegetarian or vegan recipe for Thanksgiving, please share. Thank you.

By Cara from Farefield

One gravy I like is tomato gravy. You saute onions until golden, add a can of chopped tomatoes and cook a little longer. Make a flour paste and add to the tomatoes and onions, add some water if to thick. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve on potatoes or biscuits. Yum!

Anonymous

Here's a couple of links for recipes:

http://vegetari  ravy_Recipes.htm

http://www.fabu  rticle/170/18504

You can buy vegetarian stock powder or even vegetarian gravy mix at most supermarkets. Use these as your base - add some dried herbs or flavours like onion or garlic - if using the stock powder add some corn flour/flour made to a paste in water and heat over the stove until thickened. I've been a vegie for about 15 years and have never missed out!

Jimmy's Buttermilk Chicken in Jacksonville, Florida had a great rice and gravy recipe. Anyone have any ideas on how to make it?

By Samantha