Homemade Hair Rinse Recipes

Category Hair Care
Your hair condition may benefit from a final rinse. This guide contains homemade hair rinse recipes.

I noticed a couple of people have asked about using vinegar on the hair. Vinegar, as well as, lemon juice can be used as an acid rinse. Both products are used to remove any build-up from the hair and scalp. Build-up clogs the pores and weighs down the hair. We are all susceptible to it and we all need to be rid of it. Using either a vinegar solution or a lemon juice solution (1part-3 parts water) as a final rinse can remove all unwanted 'stuff' from the hair and scalp leaving both fresh, clean, and healthy with no lingering odor.

For dry scalp there is a product in drug stores which is called 'Kolestoral'. It is a really inexpensive treatment for the scalp and it works. Just follow the directions on the tube.
Good luck!

Source: Learned during my apprenticeship - I am a barber/stylist.

By hairstylist from Ontario

Anonymous

I use apple cider vinegar after putting conditioner on my length and it washes out nicely without seeming to damage my hair color (I don't artifically color mine). NOTE 3/7/11---actually found out that acv does darken blond hair a bit. switching to lemon juice.

It needs to be noted that white vinegar and lemon juice might have some lightening effects/bleaching effects on hair color. I haven't tried either because I don't desire that effect, but have heard that has happened to people.

This little tip could have been given in the Frugal Living Category, although I started using it long before being very frugal became a necessity.

After shampooing and rinsing your hair in warm water, make your final rinse as cold as you can stand, either from the tap, or I've even used ice water in summer. It causes all the "scales" of the hair shaft to close back up (warm water opens them) and your hair will be as silky as can be. I was taught to always brush as much loose hair as possible out before shampooing since it's usually the loose hair which causes the worst snarls.

The cold final rinse eliminates the need for cream rinse of any kind and greatly reduces the need for any other type of conditioner except for extremely dry and brittle hair.

I've been using the cold water rinse now for over 50 years, and even though my hair is thinning, (I am now 75 years of age), my hair is as silky and glossy as anyone could ask for. It is naturally silver in color too; never been colored by dyes or color rinses and I've donated well over a yard of "virgin" hair to "Locks of Love" over the past 20 years. I give all the credit of having good hair to the use of that cold water final rinse. Never using anything that coats or harms the hair shaft.

Of course, no one ever uses an awful lot of cream rinse or hair conditioner, but it's nice not to have to buy any of those things. Just a good shampoo, and that's it.

Hope this helps some other ladies out there.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL (better known as Pookarina, Mother of Sir Catty-Kit)

By pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

I agree. Also a final cold blast all over after a shower really gets you going however tired you are.

Marg from England.

This recipe for hair rinse will make your hair shine.

Use as a final rinse

By Lynn

My hair is dry frizzy and extremely curly! I want it to be soft and shiny and for the frizz to go away! It's also really tangly! Any suggestions?

When you want to get all the hairspray and chemical build up out of your hair, use Dawn detergent once a week to strip it from all of those chemicals. Instead of using shampoo, use a little Dawn and wash your hair.

Mix. Comb through clean, wet hair. Leave on for 10 minutes before rinsing. Restores pH balance and makes hair shiny and more manageable.