Homemade Head Lice Remedy

How do I get rid of lice?

By Darionl from Ardmore, OK

Answers:

Homemade Head Lice Remedy

This isn't homemade per se, but it was more effective and less harsh than the chemicals like RID and such. We used a mild soap called Cetaphil. Many stores have a store brand of this as well. You saturate the hair with it and let it dry on there for a minimum of 2 hours (6-8 is better). Then rinse and comb out nits and eggs.

The soap suffocates the lice and nits and loosens the eggs from the hair shaft. Do this every few days until no more eggs appear then do it again in a week just to make sure. Getting rid of lice is a long process, be patient and thorough. Don't forget to wash linens in hot water frequently and vacuum furniture. Also don't forget the car. Good Luck. (03/29/2010)

By chriself

Homemade Head Lice Remedy

I find cooking oil effective. Coat the hair in the oil. Comb through with a large comb to get rid of the knots then comb the entire head with a fine nit comb, one section at a time, wiping the comb with kitchen paper each time. I then keep the oil in overnight and repeat the combing process again next morning. You will need to protect your bedclothes from the oil. The oil is supposed to make it hard for them to get a grip and feed. Also it will take 3 washes to get the oil out. I then comb the hair with a nit comb twice a day for a fortnight. You can also use hair conditioner. (03/29/2010)

By MaddogsandEnglishmen

Homemade Head Lice Remedy

DO NOT use kerosene! The stuff is toxic. It is easily absorbed through the scalp and is highly flammable. A lot of people still like to use it because their parents or grandparents did and they survived, but there have been children who have died or become seriously ill from it. (03/29/2010)

By lyonpridej

Homemade Head Lice Remedy

Sauerkraut juice. (03/29/2010)

By muttmom

Homemade Head Lice Remedy

I know this sounds crazy, but Dog Flea and Tick shampoo works great for killing lice. I've been using it on my kids for years. (03/30/2010)

By laura343

Homemade Head Lice Remedy

Vaseline coats the lice and they suffocate. Smear it on thickly, cover your head with a shower cap, leave on for 30 minutes and wash off. Do this once a week, to kill the new hatchlings, for 4 weeks. It's hard to wash out, but it works!! I find that Sunlight liquid dish soap washes it out. Cheap and it works. (03/30/2010)

By catastrofy

Homemade Head Lice Remedy

Do not use Rid or Nix. This stuff is awful. I used it on my daughter with our first go-around with lice and I swore I would never do this again. This is what I now do and it works well. I purchased 2 metal (not plastic) lice combs. One is finer than the other. I use a super-inexpensive dish soap from our local Aldi store that has "Bleach-Alternative" added. (I think Dawn also has a variety of this type of soap...) Wet your child's hair and saturate it with the soap. Let it set for a few mintues. The live lice cannot stand this soap and will die. Comb the hair with the soap still in it with the larger of the 2 lice combs. You will see some of the larger louses and some nits. Rinse the hair thoroughly and use a little conditioner to aid in the comb going through the hair. Using the finer comb, keep combing out the nits. Wipe or rinse the comb with each pass through the hair to dispose of the nits. I did this process each night on my daughter for a week and did not have any more problems. (And she has a very thick head of hair!) Good Luck! (07/16/2010)

By JEMsMom

Dark hair having a lice comb run through it
Natural Remedies for Head Lice
Mother Nits out of Her Daughters Hair
Preventing Head Lice
Pile of mayonnaise on white background
Using Mayonnaise for Head Lice
Someone using a nit comb on a child's hair.
Getting Rid of Head Lice
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
🎄